Driving with memory problems

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Hi everyone,need some advise,my dom.care company is looking after a lady with memory problems,no official diagnosis and no known social worker.The lady has very good family support,they have asked us to pop in morning and pm to check all is ok,this we have been doing for a few weeks.Several occasions the lady has not been in and we have informed the family,we pop back later and she is usually home.Several days ago one of our carers went to do the check visit and saw the lady drive right past her house,she told the carer she had forgotten where she lived.Two days ago the lady had been driving down the dual carriageway the wrong way and the police intervened.Yesterday she told the carer it had taken her an hour to find her car in a well known supermarket car park.

We have informed the family of our concerns and documented everything.The ladys son told us that they have no intention of taking mums car away because that would take away her independence.I do not want to cause friction between the family but I need to do something.All suggestions greatly received.Thankyou.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm afraid I get really annoyed when I read about a family who are not willing to do what is necessary to keep their loved one - and other people - safe from serious injury. Bill had to give up his licence right away on diagnosis as the hospital consultant confirmed his diagnosis to the DVLA once we had written in to inform them. I think he may well have been safe enough to drive at that point but we did not want to take the chance of him causing an accident. I really don't know what to advise but I know how I would feel if the lady killed someone by driving the wrong way up a dual carriage way. Sorry - not much help! Izzy x

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
I think if it were me, I would call the local police station to report/record what you are seeing. They may already be reporting it to DVLA as driving the wrong way on a dual carriageway is a serious offence.

I too get cross that people (both sufferers and family) do not take responsibility for this.

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
I feel it is the family's responsiblity to ensure that no one drives if they are medically unfit.

It sounds as if this person should not be driving at all, because it is someone else that may get hurt if things go wrong.

I have always said that I will not get into a car to drive, if I am not up to it, and my wife has always said that she will stop me driving if I look like I am not up to it.

To me its not a nessessity any more, but I do get pleasure out of it. As I have said on many occassions, I am more worried about hurting or killing someone, than I am about holding on to my rights to drive.

No one has the right to drive if they are medically unfit, or do not know what they are doing.

Ken

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
The police may be unable to remove her license immediately if they havent formally charged her, but if you give them more evidence, they may act more quickly.

Part of the problem may be that she comes across as lucid/capable to strangers and people she see for shrt bursts..... (and this may also be true of her family)

DMWalker

Aug 14, 2006
West Yorkshire
When my husband was diagnosed with AD he was called for a driving assessment and passed!! Much to my relief he didn't pass the year after on the next assessment.

Dee

Feb 19, 2010
South Wales
I don't have an answer but felt I wanted to respond. I registered as a user to Talking point today because we sold my husband's car this morning and it has been such an emotional event for us both. I was surprised at my reaction but it was yet another sign of the life that we knew disappearing.

He was diagnosed with Dementia 2.5 years ago and we were advised by the GP to inform the insurance Company and DVLA. The Insurance Company said there was no problem if DVLA accepted the situation, DVLA wanted a medical opinion so I arranged & paid for an independent assessment. It was a rigorous test - 3 hrs - after which and he was given a licence for 1 year, although his communication was poor his driving ability was good. When the licence came up for renewal he agreed not to go for another test, although he wavered several times.
Psychologically he made the decision not to drive not DVLA but it has been tramatic. The car has not moved for 4 months until today.

Of course safety is paramount and I felt that although my husband could drive I had serious doubts about his ability to react quickly or respond to a problem appropriately.

I feel our decision was the right one but very very traumatic. I also felt that arranging the assessment myself initially was the right move as I know some GPs make recommendations to DVLA without a thorough assessment.

I realise this has limited relevance to the thread but it has taken me 2 years to actually join the forum and just writing all this down has stopped me sobbing.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Danny,

My first thought was to ask the carer how it came about that s/he knew that the lady had driven past her house and had told the carer that she had forgotten where she lived. Did the carer follow her? Or just wait until the lady returned home? Did the lady just happen to remember and drive back to the house while the carer was waiting for her appointment? Or did the lady remember it at a later appointment?

The lady with memory problems was able to explain to the carer that she had spent an hour trying to find her car in a supermarket car park, presumably the day before? Has this happened before? Or is this a first?

How come you, the Dom Care Co have been informed that this lady was seen driving down the dual carriageway the wrong way? Was it the police who informed you? If so, did the police explain what they were planning to do to take care of the situation? If it wasn’t the police, then I wonder who notified you? Because s/he should be invited to speak to the police about their concerns, rather than to you , the Dom Care Company.

You said that you had informed the family of your concerns – so presumably the family knew nothing about it all beforehand. All you can do is to inform the police of your concerns. But then again, the police must have known already ... otherwise, how did you come to know about it???

There’s no way that a Dom Care Co is responsible for anything that happens outside of your contracted ‘hours of contract’. As long as you are happy that whatever happens within your contracted hours is carried out perfectly, and that you have gone the extra mile to report any concerns to ‘whoever needs to know about them’, and that includes family and police and the Adult Protection Coordinator in the LA (and you don’t need a Social Worker to be involved to do that!), then you are in the clean air, I would like to think.

Last edited:

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
I am so sorry that my thread has come at this time for you.I am glad that you have joined the forum though,there are some wonderful people here who have probably gone thru the same emotions,I don`t know what else to say because I cant make things better but warm wishes.

DozyDoris

Jan 27, 2009
Suffolk
We (the police) will have almost certainly reported the matter of the driving to the DVLA, I know I have done this having found an elderly gentleman doing the same on the A14 several years ago and have also done so after accidents. It will not be immediate that the DVLA react. Sadly I would say it is your duty to report this to the DVLA, anyone can make a report, or as has been suggested contact the police. I can see this from both sides, but this is putting others lives at risk.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear 1009, warm welcome to TP.

Thank you for responding to a post that really hit home for you.
Any/all input is relevant in these matters.

I do hope that you find Talking Point to be a source of comfort and support. Stay strong.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi 1099,

Welcome to Talking Point (TP) as a posting member :).

It sounds like you did exactly the right thing in having your husband go through the assessment process so that you were both sure that he was safe to drive.

The assessment centres are listed at the end of the Alzheimer's Society's factsheet on driving:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/439

Milestones like selling the car can be very difficult, but in the long run it is still better than the worry of a potential accident or the heartache of an actual one.

Take care,

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Dear 1009,

Like you, I've just joined TP too. My husband was diagnosed over six years ago - Alzheimers - and still drives competently, but gradually things change, as you know, and he never goes out alone now. It's only when I stop and really think about it that I realise how very different things are for us now - things change so slowly, and we adapt to them so gradually. Up to now, we haven't had to deal with a major event like you have, i.e.
selling your husband's car, but I do sympathise -- it must have really brought it home just how much the illness steals from us.You have dealt with the whole issue sensibly, and as you say the car has been idle for four months, you haven't acted hastily.I act as navigator when we go out, but always watchful of reaction time, awareness etc. so it's not the same as before. My husband loves driving, but he will give up when I say it's time, for the reasons others have mentioned, safety first.
Put this behind you now, and support him all you can, let him see how you appreciate what he can still do.
'sleepless'

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi danny Only just saw your thread on Driving with memory problems, well this has been a pet subject of mine for over 10 years however I would be interested in what happened and if she is still driving, “danny” you should have the info on how contact me now

cheers Tony xx

tryme

Sep 2, 2006
Coventry U.K.
Individuals in our own right

Driving the bane of our lives once again firstly a consulant gives a diagnosis, not a doctor with that those terrifing words you have.......... so who says if you not can or not drive certainly not either of the above, dependant of your how you feel your journey with dementia is progressing is initally in your own hands, family next...... are you driving with your grand children? how do they feel about it, i am lucky and still driving but i chose to take the safe way and used the disability driving center, honesty is what you will receive please, contact one of these centres and for your families sake, the day i fail to meet their standards i will happily hand over my keys and remember my good years of driving, prior to alzheimers and the opportunity that was/is on hand after diagnosis Good luck to you all:)

JoshuaTree

Jan 2, 2010
Surrey
How strange to read this as today I also sold my mum's car.

I was shocked at how strange myself and my brother felt, but how unaffected my mum seemed. The car has been sitting unused for a good while now (instant ban on diagnosis at the beginning of Feb)and she seem's used to not driving.

I honestly thought that the ban was an over-reaction at first, but then on closer inspection of her car (loads of dents, scraped hub caps) and a confession about a bang, I was pleased as it could be far more serious next time.

Unfortunatley a small number of friends have said unsupportive/ignorant things about how ridiculas it was to stop driving which didn't help and only confused my mum further. I am pleased the car is now gone as she was getting tempted to use it after having been so good about it all.

I honestly believe from what I have read here that this lady shouldn't be driving at all!

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Joshuatree your reply is very interesting epically when you say ((instant ban
on diagnosis ))
I have personally been here and battled with dvla Medical Board my Doctors & Consultants for over nine years reason because I thought I should keep my driving licence.
after a person has been diagnosed with dementia its that persons responsibility to inform the DVLA ( that is a requirement by law) the dvla then sends the dementia person forms to complete which includes consent forms allowing the dvla to write to their Consultant ( again data protection act ) this whole procedure usually takes a few months the dvla then make a decision on your driving licence if dvla grants a driving licence in majority of cases its for 12 month period.
( Doctors can’t stop a person from driving however a Doctor could advise you not to drive But they can’t stop you) the dvla sends your Consultant or Doctor form to complete but its tick the boxes the Doctor doesn’t write a letter he just ticks the boxes
the dvla medical board then makes a decision on your ability to hold a driving licence
Cheers Tony