Allowances and all that jazz - is it worth it?

happisoo

Dec 10, 2009
north wales
This is probably already out there on the forum in some way, but can't fnd it! My mum lives with us, she receives hi-rate Attend Allow. My husband and I (mostly me in real terms) care for her. We are thinking about claiming Carers Allowance, which means getting an assessment from SS. We have very little income and so my husband and I receive Working Tax Credit, this changes every year as our income fluctuates (I'm self-employed). We currently have a claim in for Counil Tax benefit and possibly housing benefit. Mum gets pension, pension credit and cold weather alowance. My question is how much of what she receives is taken into account and how much of what my husband and i earn gets taken into account when claiming for Carers Allownce. Mostly I ask because if the financial gain is minimal, I don't want to put my mum through an assessment of her mental health. Hope makes sense, thanks happisoo.

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Hello there, They carers allowance is for you and possibly your husband. Your mother does not come in to the equation at all. You need to care at least 24 hours a week to qualify and then the rest is worked out for you whether you are better off claiming or not as it is classed as income and may affect you other benefits. There must be a link here, I don't know where but I am sure somebody does. The best thing to do is to phone the benefit office and they will work it all out for you and give you all the advise required.
Hope you succeed.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
There is no assessment involved to claim or receive Carers Allowance; you just have to fill in the appropriate claim forms.

The main requirements are:

* that you spend at least 35 hours a week caring (and this must be spread through the week)
* that the person being cared for is receiving what is called a qualifying benefit. Your mum is already receiving Attendance Allowance, which is such a benefit (at either rate).
* that you don;t earn too much through employment

When the claim for Carer Allowance is processed, they will simply check that your mum is getting a qualifying benefit, which will already be noted on her records. There is no assessement of your mum financial or otherwise, and it does not involve Social Services.

Indeed, Attendance Allowance is far more complicated and difficult to claim, and can lead to a medical; Carer Allowance is based solely on the criteria above.

Your mother's income is not relevent to Carer Allowance and will not be taken into account. Any savings you have are also not taken into account.

Only one person may claim Carer Allowance when looking after someone - even if there are multiple carers only one can receive it.

Carer Allowance counts towards taxable income (whereas Attendance Allowance does not).

An award of Carer Allowance may affect other benefits of both the person receiving it and those of the person they are caring for.

Carer Allowance is currently about £53 a week, which is very low (it;s one of the lowest benefits there is) but is certainly better than nother.

You could ask your local authority for an appointment with or visit from a benefits adviser who can help you decide the best course to follow and assist with the claims.

zoet

Feb 28, 2008
Macclesfield, Cheshire
If you get working tax credits it is pointless applying for Carers Allowance- they will take it off the credits. Often, if the credits is over a certain amount you are ineligable for CA anyway.
You definately CAN get a reduction in Council tax, but this is not Council Tax benefit. If you have metered water you can have the price capped, some energy companies have reduced tariffs for people on AA and you shouldnt have to pay for a TV licence. Housing benefit is unlikely to be granted as it takes into account your total incomes but it may be worth a try.

You could ask your local authority for an appointment with or visit from a benefits adviser who can help you decide the best course to follow and assist with the claims.

This is your best course of action as Nebiroth suggests.

Last edited:

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi ""Allowances and all that jazz - is it worth it"" can't see the problem If you need the allowances vigorous check should be carried out before granting them , on the other hand being diagnosed with Dementia
doesn’t necessarily mean you should be receiving benefits,
I was diagnosed in 1999 and have never claimed or received a penny
from any allowance or benefit

cheers Tony

amyjane1

Feb 21, 2010
I agree with Nebiroth and Zoet, Allowances and benefits are there for a reason, so apply to your local benefits office and see what they say. As for not needing to apply, I personally believe if you are entitled, then you should have it. We all pay or have paid enough tax and national insurance contributions to deserve something back should we be entitled. Although I completely agree, vigourous checks should be taken to make sure. I for one, would be more than happy if I knew my tax and NI contributions were being spent on people in your situation than people who just can't be bothered to work etc.

Love Amy xxx

dab1630

Feb 23, 2007
Kent
Hi ""Allowances and all that jazz - is it worth it"" can't see the problem If you need the allowances vigorous check should be carried out before granting them , on the other hand being diagnosed with Dementia
doesn’t necessarily mean you should be receiving benefits,
I was diagnosed in 1999 and have never claimed or received a penny
from any allowance or benefit

cheers Tony

If you are 50 when your wife gets dementia then benefits do have to come as a direct result of the illness. I was forced to give up a well paid job and company car to care for my wife as no one would provide support to allow me to continue work. Our savings disappeared in the time it took the benefits to kick in. I'm pleased you have saved the taxpayer some money, Tony, but the majority of those affected by this stinking disease have no option but to accept the pittance we are entitled to.

As far as claiming for Carer's allowance goes, even if other benefits prevent you being paid the £53, you can still qualify for an underlying entitlement which has an effect on things like Council Tax benefit.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi not sure you understand my previous reply I was 57 when I
was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and after MRI sans in 2003 showing
Frontal-lobe-damage as well but the didn’t stop me battling with Social
Services and Local Government to be aloud to continue at work and
believe me it was a battle personally I think having something to fight
for keep your brain active helps dementia suffers and yes I have been
informed of allowances I could claim and yes I worked from age 15 to 65
paying my tax but my views are the same

Chers Tony