Please..if there is a god out there..

Status
Not open for further replies.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
What`s all this about gigi? I didn`t know the AS could provide an advocate. How wonderful.

I didn't know either, Sylvia...:eek:

I have contacted Katherine to let her know. And to ask for more information.

It may be that if I'd phoned the helpline this information would have emerged.

But I didn't...:eek:

What does touch me is that our local AS Volunteer co-ordinator, who has no professional qualifications, has had the insight to see our situation and the compassion to listen to me, the carer ,and to understand. She has no targets to meet, no financial issues..she is there for me to help me to deal with our situation.

The professionals..CPN and SW, are blinkered by their roles and their roles and financial issues.

They are "doing their job" within limitations.

I never thought I'd see myself on a soap box.

Today I do feel like buying myself a Mary Poppins umbrella and waving it at the stupid bureaucracy/paper exercises/meeting targets and jargon that we have to cope with today.

What happened to real people and real lives?

And how many more of us are there struggling to live with dementia without the support of TP?

It's a sobering thought.

Love xx

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
That's great news Gigi.

What does touch me is that our local AS Volunteer co-ordinator, who has no professional qualifications, has had the insight to see our situation and the compassion to listen to me, the carer ,and to understand. She has no targets to meet, no financial issues..she is there for me to help me to deal with our situation.

And there I think you have the nub of the problem. I have listened to frightening reports of a certain Health Authority today, and 'targets' seem to have a lot to answer for. :mad:

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
It is so good to know that The AZ Society is coming to the rescue. I'm so very, very glad that you are not facing this alone. I had a lot of support because we have the Admiral Nursing Service in our area paid for jointly by the LA and the Mental Health Trust. I couldn't have managed without them and the part time support worker paid also by the LA. It just goes to show it is still a postcard l.ottery what services you get and what support you get!

xxTinaT

living in hope

Dec 14, 2008
yorkshire
Hi Gigi,
Glad the doctor was supportive, it is difficult enough dealing with the dementia without dealing with unsupportive professional!
My love to you both
Lorraine

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Mental Capacity...

I'm posting this here because I think it's relevant.

We've had a problem with our Central Heating..:rolleyes:

The radiator in Eric's bedroom wasn't working. When my brothers were here last Sunday we bled it and it worked. Everything was fine...:)

Monday a radiator in the hall wasn't working at all..

And one in the lounge was also cold. I bled them with no result.

Wednesday the other lounge radiator stopped working.

The plumber came out early thismorning to sort it out for us.

I told him the story and he was bemused..

When he checked the radiators they had all been switched off..:rolleyes:

I hadn't done it, and no-one else has been here to do it.

Except Eric.

I asked him if he'd done anything to the radiators.

"Oh yes"..he replied..."I fiddled with the knobs down there to change the temperature..I think I fixed it"

I'm not going to try to make sense of this.

How on earth he's done this..(as it involves bending down to floor level to manipulate the on/off device)

And when he's done it..is anybody's guess.

It never crossed my mind that this was down to Eric.

And if he can do this..what else can he do when my back is turned...:eek:

I've been more concerned about him falling and hurting himself.

More vigilance on my part, I suppose, is now required.

On a lighter note..I'm relieved that there wasn't a major problem with our central heating..and I'll know what to look for if it happens again...:D

Love xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Luckily it wasn`t something dangerous gigi, but it might have been.

I hope your plugs for the freezer are out of reach. :eek:

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Gigi, that's great news about the advocate.

About Eric switching off the radiators - it is amazing what our loved ones can do sometimes. It DOES tend to be something we wouldn't want them doing but oh well. At least he was bending down and didn't fall over & hurt himself.

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Gigi so glad no major heating probs, it made me smile when i read it was all down to Eric, we used to have so many mysterious electrical mishaps all caused by MR nobody dont know why i did not think of it, fiddling with cooker knobs was a favourite and trev never cooked a meal in his whole life.Glad you are feeling a bit brighter. love to you and your corgi man( i mean Eric of course)

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Oh dear, :eek:, I should have thought of that! Early on in Mum's illness, she had a spell of turning off the radiators at the knobs too! Her system had been up-graded to one which was controlled by a central thermostat, but she would forget & do what she had done before with the old system. In the end I had to remove the knobs :rolleyes:

So I hope you haven't got any expensive repair bills to come now Gigi (& that you didn't have to pay the plumber a call-out fee :eek:)

Love x

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
(& that you didn't have to pay the plumber a call-out fee

He charged me the minimum call-out rate...£40.00...:rolleyes:

Eric has slept for most of today, so I've been able to potter around for a while undisturbed. When he has been awake he's been pretty confused..about the day, the time, which meals he's had etc. And he's convinced that we've just returned from a weekend away with my family..and that he paid the bill for everyone. He's also convinced that I told him that he earns £2000 a month. There is no point in telling him the truth, so I walk away. But he continues to shout the questions at me.

This is what I find so hard to deal with. If I tell the truth, it's questioned; if I tell a lie, it's questioned.
If I say nothing...it's questioned.

I'm so thankful when he sleeps, and dread him being awake.

:eek::confused::eek::confused::eek:

For the record..our sitters this week have had the same problem...just different questions.

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
Oh Gigi

I would be more than happy to come over and sit with Eric whilst you have some "you" time but at the moment, I don't think you or Eric would thank me for it. I've had this wretched cold for over 10 days and there is no sign of it clearing. I would so hate to bring any additional bugs into your home.

Backtracking a bit here. My dad also used to go round switching everything off and I would spend hours trying to explain over the phone how to switch things back on. Now that was really stressful.:( One casualty was the top tier of my wedding cake which was being stored in dad's chest freezer. Needless to say, dad switched the freezer off. I did not get to it in time (probably about a week later:eek:) all the food was rotting and ruined including my cake.

Is there any further progress yet on the scan of Eric's chest....how has he been recently?

Love to you both

Carina x x

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
For the record..our sitters this week have had the same problem...just different questions.

Not that it helps a lot I guess Gigi.

Eric certainly is far more confused and irrational these days, not that we expect rationality with this illness.

He charged me the minimum call-out rate...£40.00...

Oh dear:eek:

JPGM

Oct 14, 2009
London
How about a nice big glass of wine and something to smoke for yourself?!:eek: I find checking out your favourite comedians on www.youtube.com helps with a combination of the drink and smoke..

I'm only at the beginning of the road and have days like it too.

be good to yourself,

JPGM

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
He charged me the minimum call-out rate...£40.00...

Oh well could be worse. I was talking to a woman the other week whose CH had broken down in the really cold spell. She had to wait about 5 days for the plumber to come whilst she and her husband tried to keep warm. When the plumber finally arrived he couldn't find the cause of the problem, until he saw the remote control for the CH. He asked if it was powered by batteries ...? Yep all they needed was 2 AA batteries and everything was fine. I think she was more embarrassed than mad.

I'm not sure if this would make things worse, but whenever my dad started with the questions I started to answer with him questions. Just a thought.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Hi Gigi, I'm not sure if this is going to make you happy or not, but in the last ten days our gas central heating boiler failed and took the electrics with it.:eek: And the main gas fire in the living room failed to light: it's a standby fire and of course it would have to go wrong the very week it was needed.:rolleyes:

By a happy coincidence I was away last weekend so I didn't suffer the worst of it. However I booked a gasman to come on Wednesday 24th to sort both of them out but later brought the appointment forward to Monday 22nd. I was quoted around £85+ to sort the boiler and another £40+ for the fire.

The gasman fixed the boiler problem with what sounded like a long strip of sellotape, for a mere £132, and hadn't been told to look at the fire. (The boiler had decided to condense backwards and send condensation water back into the system. The gasman had to borrow my hairdrier to dry out the electrics panel.:rolleyes:)

Another gasman arrived on Wednesday to look at the fire. He spent just over half an hour fiddling around with it and hoovering up, and coaxed it back to reluctant life, but he thought it needed a new ignition unit, but of course he didn't have one on him. He charged me £88+ and yesterday it failed to light again.:(

On the whole I think your £40 call out fee was a lucky stroke.:D

The only plus point is that he actually managed to open the 'front door' of the fire, a feat which I had long decided was impossible having concluded that it only had a 'fake' door.

Last night when the fire wouldn't light I resolved to OPEN THAT FRONT DOOR IF IT KILLED ME, so that I could light the fire manually. After about half an hour of poking, pulling, jabbing with a screwdriver, standing on my head screaming etc, I finally worked out how it opens. SUCCESS AT LAST!:D:eek::rolleyes:

xx

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.