Now Dad has pleurisy`

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
Poor Dad has had such an awful week.

Started it with an abcess in his mouth and needed a tooth removed on Monday. Simultaneously, he started to have pains in his ribs (which I did post about). I thought he may have fallen, but turns out he has pleurisy.:(

He is in awful pain when he moves poor thing:(

Only positive thing all week is I have told him that we are taking him on holiday in the Summer with my sister and brother in law. That is the only thing this week that has brightened his spirit (prompting many many many repeated asks of 'how many weeks until we go?' and 'I'd better pack my swimming trunks'.:D

Thankfully my boss has been great again, and I have worked from home 3 times this week.

Beverley x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Oh dear Beverley - your poor father (and you). The only good thing about this is that this is treatable and should be less painful quite quickly, (as opposed to bruised or cracked ribs which can take for ever to get better).

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Oh eck! That does seem to be ‘lesser of two evils.’ :(

prompting many many many repeated asks of 'how many weeks until we go?' and 'I'd better pack my swimming trunks'.:D

Thinking positively, now, that’s great news he has remembered what you’ve told him! :D

Thank goodness for flexible hours and ‘work from homes’ eh? :rolleyes:

Love, Karen, x

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Yes Karen, but shouldn't more employers be sympathetic to the temporary needs of loyal employees? Sorry, another soap box I must not get on!

My new son-in-law's nan died on Wednesday. He was very close to his Nan, having been involved in her care for 15 years or more. His firm are insisting that if he wants time off to go the funeral he will have to book it as holiday. Rotters.

Beverley, hope your dad's pleurisy clears up quickly. Sorry to hijack your post to highlight my own opinions.

Love

Margaret

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
Yes Karen, but shouldn't more employers be sympathetic to the temporary needs of loyal employees? Sorry, another soap box I must not get on!

My new son-in-law's nan died on Wednesday. He was very close to his Nan, having been involved in her care for 15 years or more. His firm are insisting that if he wants time off to go the funeral he will have to book it as holiday. Rotters.

Beverley, hope your dad's pleurisy clears up quickly. Sorry to hijack your post to highlight my own opinions.

Love

Margaret

No worries Margaret... the threads are there to be posted upon!

What sort of company does he work for? Most give compassionate leave for parents/grandparents.

Beverley x

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Beverley,

Just popped in to see how your dad is, and to ask how you're coping.

Hopefully dad is starting to improve.

Love xx

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
Hi Gigi

Hope you are ok.

Thanks for asking about Dad. He is still very tired, and very full of aches and pains around his lungs/ribs.

He sleeps most of the time at the moment, which is a good thing I think. He needs the rest to get over this.

In himself, she seems quite bright. He started anti depressants a week ago and I think they may be starting to kick in. He was in a happy mood today when we popped into town singing 'oh what a beautiful morning'.:D My girls were in the back of the car singing at the top of their lungs with him.

Beverley x

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Beverley he works for a firm of panel beaters, they repair cars. It might sound quite noddy but the are a national firm of car body repairers used by many insurance companies, and he has worked there for about 15 years. Makes no difference to them. No time off for personal issues. Never mind eh. Worse things at sea.

Margaret

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Never mind me, the thought of Beverley's dad and his grand-daughters singing has lifted my spirits.And the song itself is poignant.

Love to all

Margaret

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
Beverley he works for a firm of panel beaters, they repair cars. It might sound quite noddy but the are a national firm of car body repairers used by many insurance companies, and he has worked there for about 15 years. Makes no difference to them. No time off for personal issues. Never mind eh. Worse things at sea.

Margaret

My Dad was a panel beater in his day. His most famous client was was Michael Wilding at the time he was married to Elizabeth Taylor.

Dad still recollects that memory!:D

Beverley

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
An update

Dad is back fighting fit and seems to be over this bout of pleurisy.

Today, a spring in his step and off to the cemetery 3 times to 'see' my Mum as he says.

Last week when he was really bad, he didn't even ask to go - I knew he must be bad if he didn't want to go out. Normally trying to keep him in is like caging a bear!!

He's tough as old boots my Dad.... I swear if it wasn't for dementia, he'd live well into his 100's.

Beverley x

dancingmum

Sep 29, 2009
West Midlands
Thank God for supportive employers

Poor Dad has had such an awful week.

Thankfully my boss has been great again, and I have worked from home 3 times this week.

So sorry your dad has had a bad week; I hope this week is better for you all. Compassion is a great quality in people; particularly bosses. It is not always possible to be flexible with some jobs but in my opinion, there are always ways around these things; working from home for example. As an employer myself I have learned that if we value people and support them in their hour of need they will be committed to their work and be prepared to "go the extra mile". I would never take advantage of my staff and believe that a mutually supportive work environment is the key to success. So sad to hear that some employers are not understanding; let's hope they never find themselves in our position.
My thoughts are with you Beverley
xxx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I'm pleased for you that your dad has recovered. I bet he's looking forward to the holiday:)

Wishing you many more good years.

Love

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
Hi

Thanks for your messages.

Sylvia - yes, he is doing really well. Who knows if it will stay like this for many more years, or there will be a sudden decline. This illness is full of uncertainty isn't it? He is much happier in himself having been on anti depressants for 2 weeks now and I wish I had got some for him ages ago. He is so much brighter and there are no moments of woe when he would sit head in hands staring at the floor.

Helen - yes he is looking forward to it. He wishes he didn't have to wait until July! Amazingly, tonight he was watching the winter olympics and commented that the ski slopes looked like Switzerland where we took him 2 years ago. (We stopped off in the Swiss Alps on the way home from a holiday in Italy). Whilst he remembered being there, he only remembered my husband being with him. He was convinced that me and the girls were not with them and that him and Paul had just 'popped' there for something:rolleyes: Paul piped up 'yes, I popped out for a Toblerone and you came with me' :D

We then sat and went through photos of the last two holidays we have taken him on - just to prove I was there. Even looking at photos of me and him, I'm not quite sure he believed that we all went - but, at least he remembered the Swiss Alps.

He does love being out and about and holidays are fantastic because he is fully engaged all the time. I feel guilty that I don't take him on all our holidays, but I have to have quality time with the kids.

Beverley x

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Beverley , so glad dad is feeling better, you are a wonderfull daughter, , the Swiss alps must have made a big impact, where are you,taking him this time, and yes you must have time for just you and your family love Pam

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
Beverley , so glad dad is feeling better, you are a wonderfull daughter, , the Swiss alps must have made a big impact, where are you,taking him this time, and yes you must have time for just you and your family love Pam

This time we are taking him to Menorca and for the first time, my sister and husband are coming too so we can all share the care so to speak.

We have to stick to short flights with Dad as his sense of time is shot to pieces. Last year, on the flight to Gibraltar, he was busy telling the women next to him that there was something wrong with the plane as it was flying too slow and never took that long to get there:eek: the poor woman had eyes like saucers when he said go on, look out the window... we're not flying fast enough I'm telling you!!!

This year, he will be wedged firmly in between us.

Beverley x

DozyDoris

Jan 27, 2009
Suffolk
Oh Beverley, that has made me chuckle, and boy did I need to! I've blogged what a night:rolleyes:. So glad your Dad is feeling back on form, he sounds such fun, xx