driving

pah

Jan 17, 2010
lancashire
my husband as just had his licence revoked, this has had a deverstating affect on him, thats all he really love to do. He works on cars for plesure all the time he as rebuilt a 1969 car,and has just got it on the road, does any one know how to get it back other than the consultant.

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
We also had this situation, Trevs licence was taken away, he was54 and he would not sell his beloved car, it sat outside for months, i was worried he might attempt to drive without his licence, but he never did.We payed to see consultant who told us he could take a test which if passed he could retain a licence for short periods, but he was honest and said in his opinion trev would be a danger to himself and others with his spatial awarness problems, we did not pursue it, it was just too risky.take care Pam

mip-mop

Jan 8, 2010
lincs
Driving.

Hi Pah.
Mum lost her licence when she was 56. She was devistated when this happened, but we all breathed a sigh of relief. She would drive from where we live in Lincolnshire, to where we used to live in Leicestershire in a few hours, not knowing why she had done it.
There is a very good factsheet on the society site that may help you. Factsheet Driving and dementia (439).
Best wishes Mip-Mop.

sarah123

Oct 29, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
My mum's neurologist has advised that she not drive. She still has her license and her car which was only bought last year sits in the driveway. She used to try sneak out when my dad wasn't home and my poor sister had to physically take the keys off her one time. Since then the keys have been hidden. The neurologist said she would let it go after a while but every time I see her she asks me where dad has put her keys. It has been explained to her several times that she shouldn't drive in case she gets lost and her reaction times wouldn't be as good as they used too. She was never very good at finding her way to new places but she loved to go out & drive the familiar roads around the house and play music. I'm not sure why my dad keeps her car in the drive as it's only a reminder to her each time she sees it, they've even retaxed it for the year but no one drives it.
It's hard to try explain to her why it's best if she doesn't drive and we all tell her if she wants to go anywhere we will bring her but it's like she's lost a bit of her independence which is hard to see.

tryme

Sep 2, 2006
Coventry U.K.
If you are sure

Along the driving debate all those will have to be "tested" visiting your nearest disability centre is the first place to approach re your ability as to your safeness to drive,please dont ignore theses words you are entitled to drive right now but you have also dementia dont take a chance get checked outand hopfully you will retain you license i have.....good luck to you all..........

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
Hi pah

I care for my grandad who has AD. Last May he moved from his home in yorkshire, to live near us in suffolk. We all knew he wasn't really safe to drive, but doctors etc wouldn't do anything about it. When he moved we had to notify the dvla of his new address. They had on their records about the AD and made some medical enquiries, then wrote to Grandad saying they were revoking his license. He was devastated. All my life he has collect classic and vintage cars. The letter came at the end of October, he hadn't managed to drive anywhere useful since he moved down in May. The letters said he could appeal via a magistrates court, and that he has 6 months to do this in. About once a week he says he must get around to ringing the dvla to sort out his license, but always forgets to do it. We just don't mention the cars (he still has 3 being stored in yorkshire that we have to sort out) and change the subject. We are just biding our time until the 6 months has passed, and can n longer appeal. In this way we have made it to almost 4 months. By the end of April he won't be able to appeal even if he wants to.

Grandad has carers in each morning to do his meds, breakfast etc. Often gets muddled with what clothes to wear or puts them on wrong, can't tell the time, or whether it's day/night, and can't cook himself a meal, but is still adamant that there's absolutiely nothing wrong with his ability to drive - how can the doctors make these decisions when they haven't seen him driving. Of course, if they did then they'd see what a good driver he is :eek:

I don't really know what the answer is for you. We skirted around the subject for ages, even though we knew he was a danger. We knew it was wrong. I spoke to his GP about our concerns and she did nothing, other than advise him not to drive on his own. We knew that if we did do something to stop his driving, he would hate us, and as he hasn't any other family we couldn't have that. At least now it seems to have been sorted for us.

I hope you get the answers you want from others on here

Love Sal xx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
We knew that if we did do something to stop his driving, he would hate us, and as he hasn't any other family we couldn't have that.

I wonder how you would have felt if he had an accident Sally.

I am not sitting in judgement, but unless specifically cleared by an independant panel, I could not trust anyone with dementia to drive safely. Sorry.

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
The only way out of this is to write to the DVLA and explain the position.

They can contact your GP and Consultant, to see what the position is, and if they are happy they can then send your husband for a driving test which is sometimes arranged around a disability centre.
However you must be patient and be ready for either the GP or Consultant to say that he is not up to driving.

Ken

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
When my husband was diagnosed we were told that we needed to inform the DVLA. We did that immediately and his driving licence was revoked. There was never any question about this and I don't recall him being given the option of an assessment. I would never have been able to live with myself if he had continued driving and hurt either himself or someone else. I know everyone is different and others may be able to continue driving for longer. We just didn't take the chance. Izzy x

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
If a licence has been taken back it has been done through the
Doctors, and therefore you can not fight back.

I do feel that it is down to these people ( GPs and Consultants) to say whether someone is safe to drive or not but nine times out of ten they refuse to get involved.

It is down to the patient to report the illness to the DVLA.

I also think that many people with the illness refuse to accept that their driving is bad, and this causes many problems, as well as distress to the families who try to stop someone driving for their own good.

I can only hope that some day soon the medical profession will get off the fence instead of using the patients confidentiality acts to protect their own skins.

Ken

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That must have been what happened with Bill, Ken. I think the hospital doctor must have responded to their query as we were told at diagnosis that Bill should stop driving. Izzy

Cjay

Jan 26, 2010
durham
Hi Pah,
My Husband's driving became a problem in that he would take hours to get to a destination, that should have taken 30mins, he would get totally lost. Then his reasoning became affected and he would pull out in front of other cars, but the worst one was when he pulled out in front of a huge articulated lorry, on the top of a hill, and nearly killed us both.
His reaction to the driver who was swearing and blowing his horn, "it was only because I'd got the gears stuck!!"
He had not looked in his mirror, he could not reason why he should look in his mirror.
The outcome was that he wasn't allowed to drive anymore, and it was my fault for telling his doctor, he was furious at being stopped from driving, but at least nobody has suffered, and nobody has been killed!

Eventually he resigned himself to the fact that he would never drive again, and gave his car to our daughter.
We were also told that no insurance company would cover a driver with Alzheimers.
And that's what this disease does isn't it? it takes and takes and takes, and rarely gives back if at all.
But when it does give back, a smile, a laugh or a memory, it was worth taking the car away.
Best Wishes
Cjay
PS sorry but I know this doesn't help how your husband is feeling at the moment. :(

tryme

Sep 2, 2006
Coventry U.K.
Wonderful honesty

Such an array replies re the driving aspect, we or our carers have shown that each and everyone of us are indivuals in our own right and that should not ignored as most "hosts" will and do know the time to hand over our car keys, yes we have memory loss but also our long term memories are so safely stored up to now our driving is fine it is the system that is to blame we didnt ask for all the new roads to be laid and our old roads we knew so well to disappear for ever as, i have said the option of being tested is out there use it for peace of mind it is your ........ right good luck

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Pah My pet ubject I have been a talking point member since 2005 and replied to several driving licence issues in the past, ok I was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s 1999 and started taking Aricept in Feb. 2000 I was informed by the Consultant at the mental health unit to notify the DVLA ( this a requirement by law) I wrote to the DVLA the DLVA sent a forms to my Consultant and I was issued with a licence on a 12 month basis starting in October 2000 every year when it came up for renewal I would write to the DVLA asking for my licence to be for a period of at least 3 years but it came back for 12 months however in September 2009 prior to my licence renewal on my visit to my Consultant I asked my Consultant for a copy of his letter to DVLA he told me he had never written to the DVLA apparently the DVLA send the Consultant a form with tick boxes the Consultant
produced copies of the previous years, I then asked the Consultant if when returning the form in September 2009 if he would write a letter he said he would but because I am prescribed Aricept the DVLA medical board would only agree to a 12 month licence { but it worked when my licence came back it was for three years} I was so excited I did write a thread on talking point at the time and sent an email to Alzheimer’s Society so don’t give up

Tony

WLL

Dec 28, 2009
Leicestershire
Dear Pah,
My situation is slightly different to yours in the I think my husband should have his lisecnce revoked and never returned. He is a danger in a car but he cannot see it.
I have asked that his GP intervene to get his lisence revoked but have heard nothing. He has also been asked by our CPN. I have to hide car keys. He won't hear of selling his car - so it is always there, as a temptation. If I left him the keys I know, with certainty he would drive it.
I agree totally with Ken C that GP's and consultants need to get involved I have been asking for over a year that they do this.
Why don't I do it you ask?
I have been threatened with physical violence in the past if I do it and I am scared it will cause a rift that cannot be healed. The Police domestic violence unit have advised me that it is not my responsibility. So I will just continue to hide the keys.
Wx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I phoned Swansea. I think they contacted my mother`s GP who sent a report in and she was asked to return her licence. She never forgot, and she never forgave me, but at least she didn`t kill anyone.

Libby

May 20, 2006
North East
We stopped my Mum from driving as she really was a danger to herself and other road users. Dad was ill with cancer at the time, and couldn't drive, so Mum used to go out to the shops on her own:eek:

She wouldn't take it that her driving had deteriorated, so in the beginning we just hid the keys. She was so awful to Dad, blaming him for not letting her have the car - it was a truly terrible time.

To make it easier, my brother took the car away, and then we just used to tell her that it was in the garage being fixed. But she still made Dad's life awful - I used to tell her that it was me who had taken the car, but it made no difference - Dad was still to blame.

Even now, it makes me want to cry at what Dad went through, but I don't want to know how I would have felt if Mum had caused an accident and seriously injured or killed someone.

I know we did the right thing.

Libs

judy2611

Jan 24, 2010
Bristol uk.
My husbands licence was revoked in December, as I personally informed the DVLA that I thought he was too dangerous to drive on the roads. The DVLA took that as the proof that they needed and revoked his licence. I couldnt have lived with myself if he had seriously injured, or worse still, killed somebody, when I knew that he shouldnt be driving. A few of our friends didnt agree on my decision but after I explained it could have been their relatives that had been either killed or seriously injured by him , they actually agreed, and said they didnt see it from that prospective. We all moan about drink drivers well in my own opinion AD or varients of Dementia , in certain stages, is as bad as drink driving.

I know a lot of people will think I am wrong at taking the plunge in reporting this to DVLA but I feel I am totally justified and at least now nobody will be injured or killed by him. That would have been worse for me to deal with.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Judy2611 Ok I agree you may have been in the best position to know weather you husbands were competent to drive a car and my have your opinion on AD and driving.
However I was diagnosed by a Consultant ant the old aged memory clinic with Alzheimer’s in November 1999 in March 2000 prescribed Donepezil Hydrochloride (Aricept ) in 2002 under a new Consultant I was sent for MRI scans which confirmed Frontal-Lobe-Damage but even now in 2010 after 10 years I still fell confident to Drive and already book a Hire Car for my summer holidays to drive Mallorca and to conclude in my previous thread I said that I asked my Consultant last September if he would write to the DVLA recommending my driving licence to be extended to 3 years and the DVLA granted it for 3 years now that should be good news to all those diagnosed with dementia worried about the possibly of loosing their driving licence
Cheers Tony