Stages of Dementia

mynyddisamrs

Feb 1, 2010
North Wales
I've been reading posts on this forum for a few weeks now and can put myself in many of the shoes of the posters. I've cared for my Mum 24/7 at home for nearly three years now and have seen how her condition has progressed.Reading some of your posts I can see that there are more changes to come ... Are these inevitable or is it possible that she may stay as she is today?
Life is manageable for us at the moment as she's confused and frail, Yes, but able to do most things like dressing and washing etc. She's happy and safe.
Are there set stages for Dementia? How long do they last? Is that like asking "How long is a piece of string?":confused:

mynyddisamrs

Feb 1, 2010
North Wales
Thanks Sylvia - Looking at the info. I would say my Mum is at stage 6. As said - it's manageable at the moment without too much difficulty and stress. Hope it stays that way for a while. As one of the posters said on the thread - I think I'm at 3 or 4!
Please God ... I'm not really!

poppy01

Dec 28, 2009
yorkshire region
Hi..
I would just like to congratulate you for still being able to manage caring for your mom at home..and long may this be the case..

Looking at these stages..I would say my mom is at stage 6 too..but you say your mom can wash and dress herself? My mom cannot do this...sometimes she will have a go at washing herself..she can pull her trousers up in a fashion..but these episodes are becoming less often now..she is still able to hold a cup to have a drink and she is still able to feed herself..(she sometimes feeds her clothes too) !!! recognition with us is starting to go..and my dad...she doesnt always recognise him..and my parents have been married for 63yrs...its very hard watching this happen in front of your eyes isnt it...I'm dreading the end bit to be honest...where everything goes...I dont know how I will be able to cope with it..but there again..we have to..dont we..and we will..I know that...just not looking forward to it.

I wish you and your mom well..and keep strong in body and mind..

Caroline.

jc141265

Sep 16, 2005
Australia
Caring at home is a big job but it can be done

I have to say that the stages guides out there, have been more useful to me, not by predicting what's going to happen next, but by just giving me an idea of the kinds of abilities that can be lost. Dad displayed a lot of supposedly last stage symptoms very early on in the piece, so for a while there about 5 years ago I thought he must have been on death's door!:eek:

According to the stages guides it was pretty much all over, red rover and I was just expecting him to pop off any minute. But, he's still here. Caring at home gets really hard if the person becomes aggressive or violent, or where the carer doesn't get enough time away so that repetitive requests for impossible things, or paranoia and angry behaviour, or constant day and night care needs wears the carer out. This is why respite is imperative.

Caring at home also becomes hard when the person loses their mobility. I watched a movie yesterday where a kid in it just quickly pulled an unconscious man across a car seat and I said to my partner, that is sooo not true, it is so hard to move a person who cannot help you to move them! My 6ft2in, 90kilo or so father is sooo hard to move, just lifting his leg to put it on the wheelchair foot rest is strenuous work! My family believe he must be made of gold, he is so hard to move. Both myself and my sister were talking the other day about how in the past we have found ourselves standing over Dad, in the bed (!), as it was the only way we could get him in the right position.

However, if the home carer does get access to sufficient respite (because stress really makes caring pretty much impossible), I would even suggest counselling perhaps should go with such respite, because I don't think a person who is constantly emotionally distraught can care for their loved one at home properly either...it is possible to care for a person at home, if you have the right tools.

My mother cares for my father who as I said is technically in last stages but has been so for a while, as he has no abilities at all, aspirates his food etc. She is able to do so despite his size because she has a hoist, a hospital bed, a wheelchair, ramps, a blender (for his meals), an invalids chair (can move it into different positions, but otherwise it is a comfortable lounge type chair), a toilet chair (a chair on wheels that goes over the toilet), shower fittings etc. Sounds like it could be expensive, but a lot of the equipment was donated or is on loan, some she rents but finds the rental costs cheaper than the cost of the care home Dad used to be in. She is also fortunate because Dad can still stand up, and can walk if needed, but there have been times when he couldn't and she still managed.

I guess you can see from all this, that Mum has a full time job, but she does get to go away on holidays (she brings in carers into the home) and she is involved in a community group that also requires her to travel away sometimes, so she is keeping her own life as well. She even had another community group she is involved with as well hold their meeting in her lounge room, because she couldn't get to them that day, so they came to her! Dad sat with them all, and laughed a lot at the big group of women come to visit. We also have family members that can drop in and sit with Dad whilst Mum goes out, and occasionally they cook up a couple of nights meals for Dad, so that Mum can put them in the freezer and serve them up over a few days.

The thing for us, is where we are at, the care at nursing homes is not sufficient and costs more than all the resources required to care for Dad at home. If a person can find a care home where the care is better than they can provide at home, and they can afford it then I guess it would make more sense to avail themselves of this.

Unfortunately for some of us, we have to care at home, because it can be more distressing to see your loved one cared for badly, than the effort required to care at home. I do think governments should pay home carers a much larger allowance than they do at present (I don't know if they get any allowances at all in the UK, they get a small allowance that pretty much only covers mum's expenses in nappies, in Australia...and of course means testing can result in less assistance, which I think is unfair because Mum will be needing her assets after Dad has passed on, she's only 65). Stupid thing was, was that she would have got more assistance had she divorced him. But anyways, my point is, it can be done, not easily, but it is possible.

Best wishes,

Last edited:

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
But anyway, my point is, it can be done, not easily, but it is possible.

I fully agree with this quote in fact I agree with most of Nat's post and just wish to add that

we have to care at home, because it can be more distressing to see your loved one cared for badly, than the effort required to care at home.

a lot of us do it because we actually really want to care because both we and our cared for are so much happier being together at home. I have now cared for my husband for 6 1/2 years 4 of which are with conditions similar to what Nat describes to a T, except for the fact that my husband is completely paralysed on his left and therefore totally immobile. I would not change a minute of this time even if I could apart from the obvious, that we did not have to be here in this situation at all. As Nat says "It can be done"

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hi mynyddisamrs. My mum was never quoted a stage, nobody bothered to do that. I would say if your mum is Stage 6 out of a possible 7, she is pretty bad, and it must be said that you and your family are absolutely wonderful if you are still coping with your mum. She is one very lucky lady.

I can't equal your experience. You had my admiration.

Love

Margaret

mynyddisamrs

Feb 1, 2010
North Wales
Thanks for all your kind replies re. me caring for Mum. I find it hard really to think of her being at a certain stage as she hasn't been assessed for 3 years and the CPN has not needed to visit for over a year now. We just take each day at a time, good days and bad days as Im sure you all know about! I do feel so unkind when I hear her struggling to dress or wash etc but feel that as long as she keeps doing these things for herself, even if it takes ages and in the mean time she forgets what it was she was doing next in her day, at least she is getting exercise and keeping in a routine. She would definitely let me dress her and wash her but me doing that will no doubt have to come at some "stage"!!
Thanks again for the support and ...to all the other carers out there ... you're doing a great job!!!

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Dear mynyddisamrs

If you feel your mum would let you wash and dress her, then you must have a very good relationship with her, and you must be a very caring person.

Funny that, now I think about it. I never thought I had a good relationship with my mother, but I am 100% sure she would have let me wash and dress her if needed. It was never needed. But at one point, she had a sore bottom, and I asked if I could have a look, and she didn't hesitate to pull down her clothes for me to look. Not a pleasant sight! But as a result, I managed to get treatment for the sore bottom that eventually worked. I suppose it says something about trust if a lady will do that.

Your mum must trust you, and that must be very comforting to your mum. And to you.

Perhaps trust is a very important thing when dealing with a sick relative.

Love

Margaret

DozyDoris

Jan 27, 2009
Suffolk
I've just had a look at the stages, bit confusing, I would say my Daddy is 5/6 but then he still gets 27 out of 30 in the memory test:rolleyes:
But he doesn't know what he's done a few minutes earlier, puts the stuff for the fridge in the cupboard etc.
I really admire you living and caring for your Mum, I don't have my parents with me, yet! :eek: But kind of care for them, shop, cook, organize finances, mobility aids,day centre, drs. Have had to do all the washing, loo stuff for both Mum and Dad at various stages in the past, Mum got ill when I was 16 and Dad has had other stuff before the AD, I too wonder how it will progress

Nels

Jul 25, 2006
Romford Essex
Do these stages apply to Vascular dementia also? Having Mum with AD and MIL with vascular dementia I can see the differences between them but also the similarities.

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Nels they told me that VAD and AD were totally different in the early stages, AD gradual and VAD more steppy. In the final stages however they are very similar. I had a mother with VAD and AD and my husband has VAD stroke related, and I do find them completely different. However, I suppose no two AD sufferer progress the same either and it also depends where the brain damage is. Probably did not help you at all. The answer I suppose is that everyone is unique. Take care

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
I think Winnie is right - everyone is unique. My mum had a very sudden deterioration over a couple of months, it came as a shock after a couple of years of gradual decline. But then she "evened out" again for about a year. In fact some of the problems she had earlier on didn't surface again. But they were all mental issues, she was still able to physically look after herself, so she wasn't hard work in that respect.

Good luck to you.

Margaret

Nels

Jul 25, 2006
Romford Essex
Thanks Winnie and Margaret, mum is still quite able physically but MIL is not and mum repeats questions etc and will talk about her childhood but both have poor memory, MIL has virtually no recollection of her past life at all and if someone has visited that day cannot remember unless you actually say ..... came to see you today, then she will say 'oh yes I remember' however not sure if she does and is just saying it so she does not appear forgetful as you say each are unique but as both are progressing further the similarities are increasing.