Really nice visit with mum today

Trying my best

Dec 9, 2008
Yorkshire
My little son and I were with mum most of the day today while my sister was out - we had such a nice time! It's the first time he and I have been alone with mum for ages and she was much brighter than she has been for the past few weeks... obviously really happy to see us, which was lovely, as she has been quite 'blank' for the past few weeks - I think she's been picking up on all the stress lately, but today she seemed really relaxed and happy. I made her her favourite breakfast and she even managed to eat some of it unaided! We also managed the stairs and toiletting without any problems.

It's so nice when things go well!

:)

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
It's lovely to hear that you can still have those special moments together.

Take care,

Trying my best

Dec 9, 2008
Yorkshire
Yes, it was really lovely. And I forgot to say ealier that at one point last night she burst out laughing and said 'You're BARMY, you are!'

She was also really trying to interact with my son. He was great with her today... He told me the other day that he is going to miss looking after Nanna when she moves away... sniff!

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Out of the mouths of babe's ...

Does your sister have any children?

Trying my best

Dec 9, 2008
Yorkshire
Hi Sandy,

No, my sister doesn't have any children and I suspect she's unlikely to have any now. My son is mum's only grandchild. Just wish I'd had him sooner so they could've known each other before she got ill and they could've spent more quality time together. My mum was always amazing with children... used to take second cousins to pantomimes etc cos she didn't have any grandchildren of her own to take!

When I was a child she was always one of the mum's who took groups on school excursions etc, and literally ALL of the children would want to go with my mum rather than anyone else's as she was always so much fun and was as enthusiastic about life as the kids themselves. She was also a chartered librarian, specilising in children's libraries. Later, as teenagers, my mum would always be the one that friends would come to to confide in when they couldn't talk to their own parents.

She used to say that having children was by far the most rewarding experience of her life - this from a woman who had been very successful academically, had spent 2 years at sea travelling the world, lived abroad for 20+ years, did voluntary work, was a keen walker and had an interesting and varied career. She has always loved children - they were here passion.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi TMB,

Your mother does sound like an amazing woman :).

I asked about whether or not your sister had children as I wondered if that coloured her understanding of the importance of retaining that connection between grandmother-mother-grandchild.

Possibly she does not see its significance? Certainly she can't understand it the way you do.

Take care,

Trying my best

Dec 9, 2008
Yorkshire
Hi Sandy, Yep - best mum in the world (if I can ever live up to her example I will be incredibly proud) and a truly amazing woman!

I think you're probably right. I sometimes get the impression that my sister feels that I simply chose my son over our mum... I don't think she understands the position I was in at all. She made me feel very guilty about not being able to continue to care for our mum. I'm not sure whether that was intentional but she made me feel that I was abandoning mum because I didn't care about her any more. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaronL