Patient/Carer Holidays

Bryan

Mar 2, 2006
Leics
Hello there.

New to the site and forum.

I have just read a few threads and have been almost reduced to tears with what I have read.

My mother has early dementia and was diagnosed when she was about age 57/58 (another story for another time maybe) she is now 62. Her husband looks after her full time apart from about 4 hours twice a week. I have been to see her tonight and I know that he wants a holiday, but wants to have her with him most of the time as he feels she will be too fretful if he is not around for some or most of the time. He is therefore looking for a holiday in this country or in europe where they can go together and she can have a carer during the day so he can go and do his thing, or at night so he can go and have a couple of beers. I would say that she is in the mid to advanced stages of the condition to the point that I'm not sure if she knows who I am. (she knows I am someone she knows but not sure if she realises I am her son as she has asked in the past how my mum is!! :eek: ) She has had seizures and is now on medication for it (not sure what) and she has been on aricept but has been taken off it after 2-3 yrs. She frequently talks and argues with characters on the TV etc etc etc.

Has anybody got any thoughts on the holiday matter?

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Bryan,

Welcome to Talking Point.

I'm sure others will be offering some advice on this, but in the meantime you might want to look at these two other threads that deal with similar types of issues:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=2698&highlight=holiday

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=2734&highlight=holiday

Has your step-father looked into respite care at all? If not, that might be the best way to go at some point in time - and not just in terms of holiday opportunities. In fact, it would probably take several successful respite stays before your step-father would feel comfortable enough to travel anywhere.

Take care,

Sandy

Bryan

Mar 2, 2006
Leics
Thanks very much for taking the time and trouble to read and reply to my post. I have read and printed off the past posts for onward transmission to them and also requested brochures etc from Vitalise.

Any other tips or advice would be gratefully received.

Many, many thanks.

Bryan

zed

Jul 25, 2005
London
Hi Bryan

I am in a similar siutation as you - my mum was diagnosed at 57.

Try contacting your local Carers Centre www.carers.org
Some local Carers Centres help carers like your stepdad organise holidays, and also some Carers Centres can help with fundraising for holidays (applying to charities who give money for those kind of things). Each Carers Centre has different services though, so you need to check with your local branch.

carol

Jun 24, 2004
Surrey/Hampshire
I have this morning spoken to Vitalise (holidays) alzheimer patients can only go on the weeks designated to alzheimers, there are only 2 weeks per year, one in January and one in November, the November week is already full and they have a waiting list - this is for the Netley, Southampton centre. So if you are contemplating these holidays, phone sooner rather than later.

Carolx