mum didn't have a clue where she was.

Michele

Oct 6, 2007
Hi,

My sister picked mum up Christmas Day to stay with them for the day. She had told us that she had packed her bags ready. When my sister turned up nothing was packed. She then spent the day with her, and I picked her up yesterday morning to come to us for a couple of days. My sister said that she didn't have a clue where she was Christmas Day and that at night mum went wondering into their bedroom at least twice :eek:

Yesterday with us, she kept asking where she was. Last night she didn't have a clue where she was and I told her that she was at my house. We went over and over again where I lived and that she was safe with us.

This is the first time this sort of thing has happened.

x

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Oh dear Michele, it's so sad when you realise that one more cognitive element has gone isn't it. Such a shame it happened at christmas too. I hope that apart from that you and your mum had a lovely time.

Vonny xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s a shock Michele and we can never be prepared as we have no idea when changes will happen.
I hope you are all right. xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
We are experiencing the same with mum just now. It's so hard to know what to do. Thinking of you. Take care. Izzy x

donkey

Aug 16, 2009
sutton coldfield
dear michelle, sorry this has happened hopefully after all the excitement and the coming and goings tyour mum will settle again, i know with my dad he is always happier when hes back home on familiar teritory, much as he loves seeing us he is happy when hes in his own chair his music on and his lovely views of the countryside and moterway? sending you a BIG HUG XXX

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Sorry

dear Michelle, i`m so sorry this is happening and wish you all the strenth in the world during this time, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxxx

imac.girll1

Feb 20, 2009
Glasgow
Dear Michelle, just reiterating what the others have said, and wishing you strength to deal with it.

When I take mother out in the car now these days, 9/10 times she will ask where we are, this is a new place, haven't been here for many years, etc etc., when actually it is nearly the same route we always take to go places. Some days I am patient enough to say yes it is pretty and new here, other days i am not so much, and say you have been here before. None of us can be angels 24/7, as it is trying on us as well as the sufferer.

I am sure your mum will settle once back onto 'safe' ground, where ever that is for her in her mind.

Love and best wishes,

xx

Brokenhearted

Nov 27, 2009
Wales
feel sad for you

Dear Michele,I feel so sad for you but know exactly how you must be feeling.We have the same problems with mum, and unless she's in her own bungalow, she becomes quite aggitated and wants to go home.She was at my sisters house yesterday and was wandering around (it's a big house) looking for the downstairs toilet,and apparently went into every room in her search for it. Why didn't my sister just take her there for God's sake?? Yesterday, poor mum was back in the house she lived in 67 yrs ago (in her mind of course) telling them her address. It breaks my heart to see this happening. My sisters and their husbands seem to think it's funny.They make mum the butt of their jokes and it hurts me so much. They will have it that mum is happy in her own way, but she looks so lost to me. Who is right here?? Sending you a big [[[hug]]]
Brokenhearted

Michele

Oct 6, 2007
Thank you so much for your support. Mum is still with us today. We have the boys here too, and the eldest has come over with his girlfriend, they are all so wonderful to mum and help as much as they can.

It is only 3pm, and I have already started on the wine :eek::eek:
Well in fact, I started on it a bit earlier, I just feel it helps me through - oh dear that doesn't sound good.

oh well - I thank the person who ever invented wine.

xx

Michele

Oct 6, 2007
Well, it has just got even worse. Mum is still with us. I have been up in the bathroom with my youngest being really ill, Throwing up every where. I have just come downstairs and mum has been wondering where I was. I explained the situation, and mum just changed the subject.

Where is my mum I used to know, who would have been there to help me.

Oh I hate this disease so much.

xx

donkey

Aug 16, 2009
sutton coldfield
so say all of us michelle, hope your little one hasnt got a bug and hes just had too much chocolate thats all you need take care am thinking of you and your mum xxx

Soup Runner

Oct 3, 2008
Hertfordshire
Michele

I can't offer any helpful advice but I know how you are feeling so I'm sending you lots of hugs.

Is your son feeling any better?

Thinking of you

Nina

shelagh

Sep 28, 2009
Staffordshire
It really hurt to read the post about someone with AZ being the but of jokes. I can laugh at myself, I am happy for people to laugh with me but to be laughed AT for something that is so totally out of my control makes me feel sick deep down in my stomach.
Hope your mum feels better when she is home - I know I do.
Lots of love
Shelagh

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Michele:
I hope your son is feeling better now.

It is dreadful when our loved one is unaware of where they are. My husband is in a care home and sometimes thinks it is our home (its too big and we made a mistake buying it :eek:). Today he thought it was his office - he was in the mood for managing it!!! One of the 'patients' had worked there for years and I was able to have a DAY OFF if I wanted as I deserved it!!!! :eek:

When he was home with me he was equally confused and would wonder where his parents were.

It is a lousy illness which constantly challenges the carers.

Good luck Jan

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Oh Shelagh - our posts crossed and I hope I have not upset you with my comments about David at home with me. Each is different and in no way was he able to control his actions as you do. I believe you are one special lady who is fortunate enough to tackle this damned illness head on!

Love Jan

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Brokenhearted;265852 It breaks my heart to see this happening. My sisters and their husbands seem to think it's funny.They make mum the butt of their jokes and it hurts me so much. They will have it that mum is happy in her own way said:
I have no doubt that you are right. Sometimes we do have a smile about some of th things she says but I can totally understand how you are feeling and I would expect no-one to make her the target of their laughter, We have just spent two hours with my mum totally worried about not going back to school (at 92!!) and what would she do about it, would she not get into trouble, she didn't feel up to it. We eventually told her my brother (who is through with his wife staying with us and is a school inspector) that he would sort it all out with the chief inspector and that she had nothing to worry about. It really was heartbreaking as she was so distressed. I don't think we could have kept telling her she was too old to go to school as that would have upset her more. She eventually exhausted herself and is upstairs in bed now. We're all hoping for a night's sleep tonight!

Sending my heart felt sympathy to one suffering the same as my mum and our family. Take care. Izzy x

Prague09

Jul 22, 2008
essex
It such a shock

Hi Michelle, I remember with my Dad that he suffered from the not knowing where he was, it was a big problem for him and us.
Even in his own bungalow where he had lived for 34 years, he would ask where he was, what were the neighbours like, and how many rooms were there.
I feel for you, sadly nothing you can do, only to reassure that they are safe.
Dad would also travel in his head and comment that he had been to visit someone or returned to his birth place.He would say he had walked miles.

Best Wishes to you and the family for the new year.
Prague

Brokenhearted

Nov 27, 2009
Wales
It hurts me too Sheelagh

I've been in tears just a while ago imagining how my two sisters and their husbands were with my mum yesterday. She pulled a cracker and got a small comb out of it, then my brother in law began to play a tune on it with a piece of the novelty hat. They encouraged mum to do it and were all laughing at her attempts. Why are they so cruel? Even my nephew thinks his Gran is great....."she can hide her own easter eggs and never know where she's put them". I'm sure I'll blow up soon. Then my sister has the cheek to say mum is breaking both her and my elder sister, and the two brothers in law say she's killing them......where do I come in I wonder? I do the most for mum and always have. You are all so lovely and supportive, I wish I had found you earlier. Thank you, everyone.
Brokenhearted x

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar