Emergency respite care

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
We are looking for emergency respite care for Mum until we can sort out a care home. Mum will be self paying. My sister and I have a registered EPA for Mum.
Can someone please tell me how to go about this. ? Both my sister and myself have used up all our annual leave and compassionate leave looking after Mum and we need to find somewhere asap.
Hope someone can help.

Turbo

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Turbo, sorry that you find yourself in this situation.

As Lionel was always self funding I always arranged his respite myself. I sussed out care homes in advance, visited, and then made arrangements.

In our case no outside parties were involved. I have to say I never did this as an emergency.

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Thank you Taylorcat and Connie. Mum does not think that there is anything wrong with her so can she be forced to stay in respite care.? She was found wandering at 4am yesterday. Tests have all come back normal for UTI, chest x ray and head scan. She is staying with my sister who lives locally but neither of us can take any more time off work.
I am 200 miles away and ideally would like Mum in a care home here
for emergency respite and permanent care but she has an appointment with the Consultant on 5th January which would mean a lot of upheaval in a short space of time.
The situation is further complicated by the fact that both my in laws are in hospital 100 miles away. My lovely FIL broke his hip and arm in hospital after being admitted for an infection. He is 94 and very poorly. My MIL is in hospital after a fall. She has alcohol induced dementia.

Turbo

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew 132