How to cope after hip op.

wendyviv

Jun 18, 2009
essex. frinton
Hi it is me again can anyone help as to how to cope after a hip op the surgeon seems to think it will be hard, Roy will be going into nursing home 2/3 weeks If there are any tips I would appreciate them the difference being I will be out of pain but in crutches!!! As I explained I am not the first to be in this position, I do have to do almost everything for Roy except feed him. Thanks for reading wendy

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Wow I think you are expecting so much of yourself. I had a minor foot op and in no way could I have coped with 24 hr caring for a minimum of 6 weeks.

I wonder how much support your have - ie morning and evening care, social services checking things out!!!

If they are not in place I suggest you phone Social Services and emphasise your problem. I do feel you need help and support - not just for yourself but for your husband too.

Good luck Jan

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Hello Wendy,

I fell in the house a few years ago and smashed my hip. I came out of hospital only a couple of days after my full hip replacement operation (too long a story to explain why). I was fairly young (59) and fairly fit running around as a teacher in a large school, but quite honestly I was totally helpless for several weeks and up many nights in pain for quite a while as I just couldn't lie down properly.

I did all the excercises and was determined to get back mobility as quickly as I could, but I cannot stress enough that the first 6 weeks I needed some one to help me. Ken was in the early stages of dementia then and didn't need me to dress, wash, shave etc.

From what you have posted I would honestly think that you will need at least 6 weeks and perhaps longer bhefore you would be helping him as much as you are now. Believe me it will take you all the strength, time and energy you have to take care of yourself for at least 4/6 weeks after the op. Just getting a pair of knickers on yourself will be hell for a few weeks!

xxTinaT

Last edited:

wendyviv

Jun 18, 2009
essex. frinton
.Thanks Becky & Jan you confirmed what I didn't want to hear, the social services will - I hope - come morning and evening and hopefully he will be able to go to his daycentre twice a week as usuall. Social services are calling SOMETIME and I will find out what is on offer. I do feel that a hip replacement is less painfull than a smashed hip. Thanks for replying I really must get more prepared. It has got to be done :eek::eek: Wendy

huntsu1

Jan 2, 2008
Blackwater
I do hope I am wrong but its probably not the pain that will prove difficult but your mobility. After my hip replacement (aged 37) I came home on crutches then two sticks and eventually one stick, Walked unaided by 12 weeks post op.