Sleep problems

allypally79

Nov 20, 2009
I'm just wondering if anyone can give me any advice. I care for my nan who has alzheimers and she has started calling me throughout the night as well as shouting randomly. I'm not getting any sleep at all. What do you do in this situation? I'm a bit wary of getting sleeping tablets from the doctor as she has had a few falls and I worry that getting up and being drowsy is a recipe for disaster.

Thanks for your help

Nels

Jul 25, 2006
Romford Essex
I think you will find that many on TP have experienced sleeping problems when caring for relatives with dementia, MIL is on a heavy duty sleeping tablet (prescribed by NH she went to after discharge from hospital) and still wakes up 3/4 times a night then moves around without her frame:rolleyes: She went to another NH on Saturday as things deteriorated at home and she was unsafe, they are amazed that she is able to wake up with the tablet so it may be something we have to sort out later on. My husband was staying every night with her when she was at home and she constantly got up out of bed at least 4 times a night, sometimes it was much more. Sorry no real answers, try searching through the forum as there are plenty of tips from people that may work, anything is worth a try.

Nels