Cat lovers only read this

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
You will all think I am potty, and my post is frivolous, but I am deadly serious. I think my cat has dementia. Please don't laugh, and if you feel like laughing just ignore this post. I don't want sarcastic comments please. I appreciate that a problem with a cat is not nearly so important as a problem with a human being, but I thought I would give it a whirl.

It is dead odd. He is an old guy (nearly 19), but his behaviour has recently become so strange. He has got into a routine that he never used to have. In and out of the cat flap every 10 minutes. He used to sleep for 20 hours and have a few hours of wakefulness to eat, play, whatever, but it has all changed. Yes, I have taken him to the vet, we decided he had a mouth infection, so he has had antibiotics etc. But he has not responded to that. His behaviour is so strange. I have just got him settled in a strange place (study desk, with a cushion) and within 5 minutes he is up off the desk and outside. He has just gone out. I bet he is in before I finish this.

He also sits at the cat flap as if wondering whether he is supposed to go through it or not. So he does. And then sits right outside it as if not knowing why he is there, so he comes back in. And this is every 10 minutes. Woops, here he comes again, back in, and he doesn't seem to know how to sit or curl up. He just stands there staring at the cushion I have put there for him. He just doesn't know what to do.

He is obviously exhausted, I can see his body sagging. But he has forgotten how to curl up and sleep. He looks so sad. He is currently trying to get comfy and it is painful to watch. The vet says he is in no pain.

Sorry for such a stupid post. But the similarities between humans with dementia and my cat are just such that I cannot ignore them.

I expect a lot of stick!

Margaret

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I don't see why you should get any stick Margaret. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a form of dementia - he is incredibly old for a cat, and I do think brains and bodies be they human or non-human wear out.

I know your vet says he's in no pain but sometimes animals can be in distress even if they're not actually in pain, and it's up to us as responsible owners to not allow that to get too bad.

Will he sit on your lap?

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
My darling old dog (she was 17) got to that stage. She didn't know where she was, where she could get herself comfortable because of arthritis etc. After a few bouts of her not being able to stand after she had been lying down sleeping, I decided she had had enough and it was kinder to have her put to sleep. It broke my heart. She was the last link for me to happier days in mine and Ken's lives.

My neighbour has a cat aged 21. She is blind and very deaf. She yowels pitifully sometimes for hours on end. Her fur is going in patches and she hardly has any teeth left. She has taken the cat to the vet on many occasions and the vet doesn't think she is in any great pain. After watching the cat, I am certain that she has some form of elderly dementia. My neighbour cannot bring herself do do what I did, so they both stagger on together.

Another neighbour's dog was aged 22, blind, deaf and could hardly walk but again, they staggered on together to the very end. The dog was being given 22 tablets each day, just to keep her alive. My neighbour was a complete wreck when her beloved little dog finally had to be put to sleep.

The worst thing about loving your pet is when the time comes to decide what quality of life they have left. It is absolutely heartbreaking.

xxTinaT

jayne-b

Sep 7, 2009
Staffs
Definitely think animals get affected, in the front door, out the back door, over the fence, in the front door, out the back door........ this is how it goes with one of my elderlies until worn out.

The worst thing about loving your pet is when the time comes to decide what quality of life they have left. It is absolutely heartbreaking.

xxTinaT

Tina, how true that is, I am facing that decision at the minute. Spending the night sleeping on the sofa to watch over my male cat,he is only 13 and he has a large tumour in his soft palate and keeping him comfortable is all we can do :(.

He has had a bad couple of days very restless and uncomfortable and rushed him to the vet today, he got another steroid and vitamin shot, I really thought I was going to have to make that call today, the shot seemed to kick in tonight, after about 12 hrs, and he has eaten really well and is now settled to sleep snuggled up with me.

My heart is breaking at having to face letting him go, so soon after losing Mom suddenly it is unbearably painful having to make the decision. My vet knows and has promised he will let me know if I am holding on too long.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Margaret, the only stick I am going to give you is the for the title of your thread. :D I will confess (boo! hiss!) I am not particularly fond of cats ..... but labelling ‘Cat Lovers Only read this’ reminded me of a manager purposely leaving an envelope on an office desk marked ‘Highly Confidential’ and seeing who, if anyone, it would catch out – so I am confessing I am well and truly caught! :eek: (At least I’ve got the grace to admit it!!! :p)

Why wouldn’t an animal get dementia? They get infections and upset tummies and about everything else that humans do? And don’t scientists ‘give’ mice dementia (or somehow simulate dementia) purposely to experiment on them?

The very serious side of this thread are the issues that Jennifer and Tina have raised about choices that are available to alleviate suffering in animals ......... but perhaps let’s not go there?

I do hope your cat is OK ... I may not choose to have one but I promise I am generally an animal lover ... (most notably known for attending to wounded birds!;))

Much love, Karen, x

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
I can't believe I have had replies so fast! Aren't you all great!

A month ago he would sit on anybody's lap, in fact he was a bloody nuisance, but not now.

Karen, okay so you couldn't resist!!! I have lost count of the number of birds we have rescued that our vile cats have caught, and I have to say that every single one has been recovered and put back into flight. We have a cardboard box saved for the purpose, called the Bird Box, and whilst I would rather cats didn't catch birds at all, I have to say we have done our best over the years. We put the bird in, and let it settle. Initially it is terrified, but over a couple of hours this disappears. We then take it round the side of the house and offer bird food and water and off it goes. Phew! Similar with rabbits!

He just ain't right, and I know it. He was a rescue cat from Cats Protection, as were all 3 of them (twin brother died two years ago, one minute okay, next minute gone). So he has had a bloody good life considering what he might have had.

Tina, the vet says there is likely not much physically wrong with him, just old age, but we will see what transpires. I think your decision with your dog was right and kind. And Jayne, you might have to come to the same decision too.

If I think he has dementia, I can't say it folks.

I am not about to put him through misery. I am not going to hold on to him forever. He is REALLY OLD dammit. If he is in distress (physical or mental) then he is going to be put out of it at his age. My problem will be my husband who will not cope with that decision. I will have to sell it to him.

Anyway, Sandy is currently asleep on the desk in an odd position, not been out for half an hour, probably exhausted. I hope he stays there all night, but I am off to bed!

Thanks for listening all of you.

Margaret

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Hi Margaret,

My dog was sixteen years old when I had her put to sleep. Twelve months prior I noticed she was acting differently and I put it down to her fretting for her mate of fifteen years who had recently passed away.

She continued to deteriorate and she didn't know how to walk up the stairs, she was still very agile and it was as if she just couldn't remember how to walk up the stairs. She came down them without a problem. I went out one morning and she was asleep on her bed and when I returned she was standing in the pouring rain facing the fence. She had no idea what to do. I took her to the vet and he said, you know people get dementia .... animals do too. He said your dog has dementia.

A few months later I did have her put to sleep.

I'm sorry to hear of your cat's problems.

Take Care,

germain

Jul 7, 2007
Hello Margaret

We had to have our 21 year old cat put to sleep last week and the upset was/is awful !

Have you thought about arthritis ? Moving around is sometimes the way they get rid of the stiffness - our Mimi was on Metacam for about 4 years for this. She took ages to curl up - we assumed it was very stiff joints.

Also the start of kidney disease can make them go in and out - they think they need a wee all the time - a bit like human cytitis ! and we all know what a UTI can do for confusion !!

Have to say tho' that our cat was an indoor one for about 3 years - after going totally stony deaf and she had some very odd quirks - "talking" to the wall or an empty space, only eating if hubby fed her teaspoon by teaspoon , sleeping all day and then demanding attention non stop in the evening ! YES - totally like our Mum - right down to the sundowning !

If you can - keep him in for a while - its very cold and damp and that doesn't help anyones bones. Also - watch him for hiding behaviour - sometimes when cats are reaching the end they'll creep away and hide - old instincts re protection from predators.

Good luck - there may be a miraculous recovery yet for the old guy - they're absolute "b's" for doing this. Hope so.

regards
Germain

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Margaret:
Our last cat was 22 before the vet did the kind deed after a period of serious sickness. Prior to that she had dementia for some 6 yrs. She was no major problem but much as Germain described.

Somehow the 'right time' hits us clearly and I do believe a good vet will not let an animal suffer.

Our present 5 yr old cat is restless about coming in and out, but purely because he is wimpy about cold damp weather :rolleyes:.
Jan

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Totally beleivable!

Cats have brains, and hormones so it makes sense they can get the same sort of problems. I'm so glad you have taken him to the vet and had him checked over. It sounds as if hard times are ahead, but the best owners are alsways the ones that make the right decisions.
I know this sounds awful but I beleive we are kinder to our animals than to our fellow humans in this respect.
We have both a cat and a dog, and have had animals of all kinds over the years - dogs, a cat, rabbits, hamsters, rats, various birds etc, and the only time I have winessed something like this was with a hamster. He had been a typical hamster but one day we noticed he was a lot more fidgety by day turning round and round in his nest. Next day he hardly stopped and was actually panting. I mad a vets appointment, but the poor things passed away a couple of hours before we were due to go. When I spoke to the vet about it she suggested it might have been something like a brain tumour or stroke. The latter meaning as part of his body was paralysed he could only turn one way.
Heavens above! I just thought about googling dementia in cats, and it says one in ten have dementia! There are loads of links about it!
Oh well now we know.

I wish both you and you cat peace, hugs xxx.

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
New cat.....

Margaret, justy
another thought, if Sandy has reached the end, then please think about getting a replacement. This happend to one of my Mum's friends who had dementia and her son was panic stricken as her cat was everything to her. He contacted the Cats Protection league and they were brilliant. Once they heard her story and knew she had daily visitors to watch out for the cat they went out of their way to find one that was suitable, one with a calm "lap cat" attitude that looked as close as possible to her old one.
The replacement was gorgeous a big fat loving lump of coziness, who happened to look just like an inflated version of her old one, and that is where I got caught out.
I always made a fuss of her old cat and when I went there and saw the new one, I told her I though a stray cat had ome in and went looking for the old one. She was unable to tell me what had happened, but insisted she had the right cat. It was only as I was leaving she told me her old cat was dead and she now had a new one. Of course I wasn't sure of this but rang her son to discuss it. he was amazed that she actually realised what had happened, as she was even calling the new cat by the old cats name etc. It was all quite amusing in a way, and we fretted about it all far more than she did. But at least she had a new companion. Sadly she has now had to go into a home, and the new cat is with her son.

Michele

Oct 6, 2007
Hi Margaret

I have just read your post and I am so sorry that your dear cat is not too good. I do hope that he slept through the night and so did you.

You say that they are not nearly so important as a problem with a human being - well I don't agree with you on this, I think they are just as important. My two cats Spike and Tia are my babies and when they are not too good it just destroys me. Spike has been really ill recently and we have had test done and found out that he has reline herpes, which there is no cure for, so we are off to the vets again tonight to see what can be done.

It is so hard because our animals can't tell us what is wrong.

Maybe a second opinion at the vets. I don't know Margaret, but I fully understand what you are going through.

Lots of love to you, and please let us know how he is.

Michele
xx

Arctophelia

Jan 10, 2008
East Kent
RSPCA needed for humans!

Hi Margaret,

I think you were very brave to run the gauntlet, in asking about your cat! I am sure you have realised now, with all those replies, that dementia can happen in cats - my old cat had it and became very distressed so we had to do the inevitable.

I just wish we could have a version of the RSPCA for humans with dementia. We treat our animals so well, on the whole, but the same doesn't seem to be true of the elderly/unwell.

Anyway, much love to you and your cat with the hope of a peaceful passing when the time comes.

J:

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Margaret,
Just to say I hope your cat is feeling better. For us, our animals have always been part of the family. I have had cats continously since I was 18 and I'm now 55. I don't know what it's like not to have a pet. I know people who aren't animal people and I do think they are missing out on a lovely relationship.

The simplicity of the human-animal relationship is that there are no agendas with animals - well, perhaps food :D. But they love regardless of our looks, wealth, personality or success. Plus research finds that petting a cat (and I assume a dog) lowers blood pressure. Must be why mine is 100 / 67.:)

River

Mar 21, 2009
Saw your post and had to reply.

I don't know if your cat has dementia, but they can certainly get ailments similar to humans.

My own beloved moggie was showing similar systoms to yours i.e not able to settle or sleep (and not eating). She was diagnosed via a blood test with hyperthyroidism, which is very similar to the same condition in humans. It is now contained nicely by a daily tablet.

Please may I suggest you ask your vet for a blood test which would determine this. Unfortunately blood tests do not come cheap or the tablets required for the rest of her life, but it was well worth it.

Best wishes J

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
My friend's old dog of 16 years was actually formally diagnosed as having dementia, which was quite a shock to her at the time, she showed most of the human signs. Cat, dogs, elefants and manu other animals are as you obviously know very intelligent, so I am sure they could all potentially suffer from the desease.
Hope your cat is better soon, if not perhaps the vet would be able to establish a diagnoses.
Best wishes

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
What a lovely lot you are!

Our cat is from the Cats Protection. We have a long history of connections with them. I have contacted them for advice and they have been brilliant. Yes, Sandy may have dementia.

Well, the vet gave him a mega injection of antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and anabolic steriods, and expected a mega recovery within a few hours. Sadly it has not worked. He is more lethargic, more vocal, more distressed. So it is something else that is upsetting him. The vet suggested kidneys, or liver, or thyroid (I would run with thyriod), but all are medicated through daily tablets, and I don'[t think we can do that. This old boy isn't going to want a tablet shoved down his throat by someone who doesn't really know how to do it. And for what? A few months extra of life when he is already about 130 in human terms.

Today has been distressing. He has not settled anywhere really. He has been on the study desk on a cushion I have given him up there, but he sits on one edge of it. He is up and down off it all day, outside, in the freezing cold. Then I noticed he didn't have the strength to get up on the study desk or even the chair I had put for him. I had to lift him up. About an hour ago, he went out. He didn't come back. It is sub-zero here, so hubby and I donned our outdoor clothes and took a torch to look for him. No sign. We both cried with the thought that the old fella had died in freezing conditions. I went upstairs to put my electric blanket on - and he is there on my bed! So relief all round.

Now he is downstairs again, and mooching. Not happy. Hubby has decided that he will respond to him playing the piano, so is giving it a try.

Not hopeful. But I am so grateful for all your lovely posts when I thought you would think I was daft.

Margaret.

ElaineMaul

Jan 29, 2005
This old boy isn't going to want a tablet shoved down his throat by someone who doesn't really know how to do it. And for what? A few months extra of life when he is already about 130 in human terms.

Hi Margaret,
Our old cat had kidney problems at the end of her life. I also didn't think thrusting a tablet down her throat would be good for her or us!

However, what we did was to crush the tablet into powder and mix it into a teaspon's worth of cat food. I would then put this carefully on top of a small cone shaped mound of food ..... and she would eat it! Her appetite was one thing which didn't diminish, so that was in our favour! I'd also make sure she hadn't had any food for a while :)

Might be worth a try?

Elaine

sharon 44

Nov 20, 2009
lincoln
Kitten

Sorry to hear about your cat Margaret, i lost my cat Molly in June this year it was heartbreaking but i had to make the decision for her sake,two days later my son brought me a kitten a tortoise shell we called her Tia she is now 7mths and an absolute replica of Molly she helped to ease the pain of Molly's passing.