Update on my mother

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother seems to be very happy and contented these past months. She laughs and smiles, eats like a shark and generally is in very good physical condition. She doesn't speak much but I feel she is as happy as she can be.

Now - my aunt. Some of you will remember all my moaning and complaints about my aunt. Well, she phoned me last night (fishing for a Christmas invite after ignoring me for 6 months) to tell me how Mum is (because she thinks I never visit). Apparently she was trying to brush Mum's teeth and my darling, wonderful mother punched her and tried to scratch her eyeball out.

Normally this would upset me but Mum's not doing that with me or anyone else so I prefer to think of it as Mum's Christmas present to me.:) Yes, I'm a bad person but I don't care. Nobody's perfect.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Joanne your mother obviously has not lost her spirit yet even if her aggression has calmed down.
She sounds pretty well balanced to me.
I bet you wish you`d been there.

zoet

Feb 28, 2008
Macclesfield, Cheshire
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

Thank you Joanne for sharing that- I honestly laughed aloud when I read it. (The cats looking at me funny now!) Your mum sounds like my kind of lady! :D:D:Dxxx

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
Hee Hee

I'm desparate to know though - did your Aunt get an invite?!

I spoke to my elderly great aunt yesterday and she has invited herself to her god-son's house for 2 full weeks over Christmas:eek: 'to have a proper break'

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I'm desparate to know though - did your Aunt get an invite?!

I spoke to my elderly great aunt yesterday and she has invited herself to her god-son's house for 2 full weeks over Christmas:eek: 'to have a proper break'

No, Ella, I did not invite her. My mother is the one with advanced Alzheimer's and these days it's my aunt who is driving me round the bend. Besides, if I had caved, my husband would have had a few choice words for me. Actually, he would go along with what I ask but he dislikes the way she can upset me sometimes.

She didn't talk to me for months because we had an argument about how she keeps reporting staff at my mother's nursing home & the home to the Ministry of Health. From March to September not one word from her (oh joy, oh bliss, it was so peaceful). In October she realized that if we didn't speak, she wouldn't get an invite so she left a few messages on my voicemail at home, during the day, knowing I would be at work.

I was even going to invite her in spite of how she drives me berserk when I found out from the general manager of the home that she was at it again. This time she was bullying a really nice woman and my heart hardened. She was ragging on this woman because my aunt felt this woman should have reported her employer (the home) regarding an enviromental concern. My aunt said the home was too cold. In the summer, the home is too hot. There's never any "just right" for her.

We're having Christmas lunch at the home and my friends who will be there are also grateful she's not going to be there.

So - in this world we make our choices. Our choices have consequences and we must live with them. I do feel sorry for her but I want a break. Maybe next year, if she learns to behave (which I truly doubt - she's dumber than a sack of hammers).

That poor godson - doesn't your great aunt have any clue that it's nice to be invited first? I guess not!