Im so ****ed off

elwoodlpool

Mar 27, 2006
Derbyshire
www.myspace.com
All the exposure just latley with dementia and things. And as i type gerry Robinson is on now.There is simply not enough being done at all. My mums care home is still functioning now and well the system fails people . We have got it all on our shoulders when one of our loved ones get this illness. And when they go into care their treated like a broken old machine im really really annoyed !

Mark

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
It will change Mark but it is so sad that it didn't change in time for your mum:( It will only change though if we are all involved in changing it.

Love and feeling so sorry that your mum fell victim to such poor practice:(

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I don't think I can type much tonight as I feel heartsick and very, very upset.

Suffice to say the scales have finally dropped from my eyes and although my husband's care home is not as bad as I saw tonight on the Robinson programme, I do see residents every day sat around rooms, staring vacantly into space. I do see care staff who are doing the vital jobs of toileting and the million and one jobs which they have to do. I do feel that there is not enough staff to do any form of activities which are so important for residents.

I have also recently had some disquieting and disappointing experiences regarding Ken's personal care. When I took him to the dentist recently I was told that his dentures had not been cleaned properly for a long time and that they needed a thorough scrubbing. When I mentioned this to the assistant manager, she told me that she didn't even know he had dentures! He's been in the home for nearly two years and she was assistant manager when Ken first arrived over two years ago. I make sure he has denture cleaning tablets on his washbasin. I make sure he has a good servicable denture pot in his room. She said that she would check if he needed denture cleaning was on his care plan.

Also during the past month or so I have visited him immediately after lunch, when staff have told me that he has been toileted, and found him either wet or soiled. Not very often, but enough for me to feel disquieted and not as sure as I was of the excellent care I believed he was getting.

Is it wrong to expect when the staff know my husband is going out to an event which they have arranged, for me to arrive last Friday and find him looking like a rag bag with cigarete burns in his trousers, not shaved and generally looking like an unkempt old man? We were late to the event because I took him upstairs myself, washed and shaved him and put him in decent, matching clothes which took years off his appearance. When we came downstairs one carer commented on how smart he looked! When I spoke to the carer who was responsible for shaving Ken, I was told Ken had refused to allow himself to be shaved that day. The assistant manageress also knew how angry I was.

Suffice to say that he has at least 14 very good pairs of trousers, at least 14 shirts which can be matched to the colour of the trousers and many ties, jumpers and jackets etc which can, with very little care, be put together easily to make him look like he should and which the staff know he should. I have also paid over £20 for a razor which Ken's personal carer said he preferred rather than the electric razor which I previously supplied, along with shaving cream etc.,in abundance to be used.

After my kicking up such a fuss that day I would have expected that he would at least be properly shaved each day. Imagine how I felt when two days later I arrived to find that he had not been shaved, yet again. The assistant manageress felt his face as if she couldn't see the two day growth that I could see!

Ken's personal carer is a man and I can always tell when he is not on duty and Ken has been dressed by a female carer. There seems to be more thought put into how he is dressed.

I'll have to wait until the overall manager is back from his holiday and will be very brave and go to him with my complaints. The sad and puzzling thing for me is that most of the staff do seem to care for the residents. Perhaps I'm expecting too much. Who knows? I'm so confused by it all. On the one hand I'm very, very grateful for the work the staff do and the kind and calm atmosphere in general at the home. On the other hand if I complain, I feel uncomfortable and that I'm being a nuisance and not grateful for what they do.

I was so very, very grateful to the manager when he spoke up for Ken to the Consultant and said that the home could manage his behaviour. Without the support of the Manager, I doubt I would have been able to persuade the consultant to let Ken leave the assessment ward. Perhaps I've let that gratefulness colour my views of the home for so long, I just don't know!

When I saw on TV tonight what can be done in an excellent care home, I want that level of care for my husband. I cannot, by myself give him that care, I know this! I know that I cannot fulfil all of his needs if I bring him home. I thought I had found the best solution. Ken in care and myself giving him as much stimulation and 'normal' life as I could.

I also know that by revealing my worries I will probably add fuel to the fire here on TP of 'You should have kept your husband at home', and, 'All Care Homes are bad Care Homes' debate. It is not a bad Care Home. The level of care is generally good but I have to admit there is not enough stimulation and that I have the unpleasant task of speaking to the general manager and trying to tell him of my worries without sounding like a 'fussy, ungrateful mother' type of person who I hated to come across when I was a teacher.

I've only just got over the last enormous and serious upset I caused at the Home and I really don't want to go through that again. Am I being a 'fussy mother'?

xxTinaT

ps I started off this post by saying I didn't think I could type much and here I am again pouring out my heart.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Tina,
Without the support of the Manager, I doubt I would have been able to persuade the consultant to let Ken leave the assessment ward. Perhaps I've let that gratefulness colour my views of the home for so long, I just don't know!

That was then Tina and this is now;) These things can change. My sister's care used to be excellent. It was coincidence that Alan became ill with FTD and my attention had to be concentrated on what was happening here and at the same time as this the agency collapsed from the top down.

I believe that it is these basic things like the shaving and dressing and personal hygiene that instill confidence in proper basic care. If the basics aren't good enough then how can we have confidence that the higher human needs can be met?

You keep on Tina:)

Love xx

living in hope

Dec 14, 2008
yorkshire
Hi Tina,
It is difficult when our loved one is in a home, I also wonder sometimes if I expect to much. Brian is well cared for and obviously cares for the majority of the staff. He is normally clean and tidy, but occassionally refuses a shave/haircut etc I feel that he is not really refusing just saying no, without understanding the question, I sometimes ask if he wants his cuppa and he'll say no, I pick it up and put it in his hands and he drinks it and enjoys it. Brian often looks into space as he cannot watch TV etc, sometimes the carers get squidgy balls out and the residents throw them around. I didn't see the programme on TV as I was at work so will look for a link to it and watch it.
Hope you are keeping OK
Love
Lorraine

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Mark, as ever, I so feel for you. I agree my instinct would be to ‘want the place shut down.’ Then there may be other residents perfectly settled and to have to remove them? ... well it’s all a minefield.

I wonder, when there is a serious complaint lodged against a Care Home – is there not some kind of ‘Task Force’ can be sent in pending the investigations and outcomes ? I’m probably pipe-dreaming here ..... but surely homes identified with serious failings cannot just be allowed to ‘continue’ ... and the government (CQC?) must have some responsibility for pumping resources (ideally properly trained staff) to manage (audit?) the environment, oversee and help with concerns and implementing improvements and if all else fails with any transitions needed? (I don't mean for a cursory inspection - but longer-term).

Sending you much love and strength as always, Mark,

Karen, x

(PS: Hang on on there, Tina. We need more 'fussy, ungrateful mother' types .... who else would speak up for those who can't when they need the best - not just the mediocre????)

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Tina,
I don't think it's out of place for you to express your concern. There are ways and ways of saying things. Remember - it's not what you say but how you say it.

I think you should prioritize your concerns and work on them in order. What about advising the home a day ahead (or that morning, whatever works) that you plan to take Ken out at X o'clock and you would like him to be washed, shaved and dressed for that time. If asked nicely, it certainly wouldn't be unreasonable. You might even mention the outfit.

As for the mismatched clothing, some people's clothes taste is in their mouths. I make a point of complimenting whoever dressed my mother when I'm particularly pleased with the outfit she has on. But I have also selected her clothes so that most of them complement each other.

No place is perfect but with polite and well-phrased comments and patience, I think a good place can be made better.

vdg

Aug 6, 2009
Hampshire
Tina,

As for the mismatched clothing, some people's clothes taste is in their mouths. I make a point of complimenting whoever dressed my mother when I'm particularly pleased with the outfit she has on. But I have also selected her clothes so that most of them complement each other.

No place is perfect but with polite and well-phrased comments and patience, I think a good place can be made better.

As far as clothing goes, at Mum's home they allow residents to choose their own clothes no matter how mis matched, as they believe that since most other choices have been taken from them, this is one thing they can still have some control over- even if it does look odd! They do ensure that it is appropriate to the weather though so that warm clothes are chosen at this time of year especially if they are going out.

elwoodlpool

Mar 27, 2006
Derbyshire
www.myspace.com
I just feel that in my situation when mum got ill we never really had a pint were we were told mum had dementia and that is for me were it all went wrong. Its like one minute she was'nt right then next thing she's in a home. And it has really blown me apart loosing mum i got to the doctors and talk to him how im really messed up with all this and get given tablets and told take them. I really need professional help and i know i do with the year how its been my health is some what in bad shape.

As i look back now at how mum was treated it makes me feel sick the care home as it stands now has hardly any residents in it as the social services stopped placing people there and most people were moved by there familys. That day i found out that mum had been given Penecillin when she was allergic to it opened up such a can of worms. The Doctor at the inquest even had no answer as to why he gave my mum the prescription he said he just didnt look at her notes and the nurses also didnt look at her care plan and she was given it.

The coronor said to the doctor when you were called out and you realised Mrs Moore was ill did you even examine her body as she had some really fierce bed sores and the infection in her chest could of come from them. The doctor replied i did not examine her with a stethescope and she was left for another day without being given anything for the chest infection. And the coronor then stated that if she was examined properly she may of had the right drug earlier. Also the standard of mums pressure sores she was left up to 3 days without the dressings being changed and on onbe occasion my partner saw that mum didnt even have any underwear on just a pad underneath her.

Her teeth were never ever cleaned and neither was her hair so here is my mum left in bed probably in severe pain witht these pressure sores and not one of the nurses even though i wonder if Gill may need pain killers. Which also makes me think at this point mum was so unresponcive and as soon as she went into the hospital she was on morphine and do you know she started laughing at my dads jokes and smiling at us. Its mentally scared me all this as i feel she was left to rot. It even come out that mum could of attended my 30th Bithday party but she didnt come as Leanne was told a doctor had bed ridden mum. When in fact he had'nt. Because of these people not being botherd in my eyes the end of mums life was a sad misrable one and as no one could pin point blame for this nothing has happened to the company but the family is trying to sue for unnessasary suffering.

And this is still happening now people are being treated like nothing and thats so wrong thats why my petition is so important on the 10 downing street web site.

Ive had enough now i even watched that Allzheimers the opera and well what them people are doing is great im even gonna call my local alzheimers group and offer my services to do a group like that.

Mark

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Still no reply !!!

This is a letter (E Mail) i wrote to the Alzheimers Society last week and also to my local Alzheimers branch Strangley enough no reply from either yet

A copy of my letter to the A society

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hiya, i have just submitted the form online for your Campaign and wondered what else i can do? I am 52yrs old with "early onset of Alzheimers" and also unfortunatley "heart failure" Which will get me first? i cant say but i do know after watching last nights Dementia programme on BBC2 (Gerry Robinnson) i want to know how i can try and make a difference before i sucuum to either disease. I am also from Torquay so you can imagine my shame of knowing the home concerned last night.

I am also a regular contribiter to "Talking Point" and also write poems about this awful disease. PLEASE LET ME HELP if only in a small way to change what we saw last night. Best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxx

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Care

[/QI wonder, when there is a serious complaint lodged against a Care Home – is there not some kind of ‘Task Force’ can be sent in pending the investigations and outcomes ? I’m probably pipe-dreaming here ..... but surely homes identified with serious failings cannot just be allowed to ‘continue’ ... and the government (CQC?) must have some responsibility for pumping resources (ideally properly trained staff) to manage (audit?) the environment, oversee and help with concerns and implementing improvements and if all else fails with any transitions needed? (I don't mean for a cursory inspection - but longer-term).UOTE]

This must not be a pipe dream but become a reality!!

Hiya Karen, i agree with what you have just said and i think its up to us (JOE PUBLIC) to make sure the standard of care is maintained and not just put on for show. Whats just a (PIPE DREAM) today Must become a reality tommorow !! As was quoted in last nights show Excellent care is a right, not just a priviledge !!

elwoodlpool

Mar 27, 2006
Derbyshire
www.myspace.com
Hi Norms,

I cant believe they have not responded to you its either there really busy with thigs or they have had loads of enquiries about the program.

I myself have conacted Gerry Robinson and Fiona Phillips as i really want this to go futher too many people in care are not being treated like people and id love to know were it says in the book of care once there in care ignore and disrespect them ?

At the moment these private companies are using dementia suffered as cash cows and i will go to the end of the earth to get this sorted out.

Sorry to hear about your health i hope your comftable and you have a loving family round you

Take care

Mark

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Hiya

Hiya Mark, yes i am stuggling with that one as well because i thought they would jump at the chance of someones help (hoever limited it may be from me) Without sounding as if i am having a go at the Alzheiners society (Which i am certainly not!) i was informed by someone who is involved with them that it may take a short while before they get back to me because of "Lack of recources" This sounds FRIGHTENGLY simular to what we have just watched over the last two weeks ! very worrying indeed.
Thank you for asking after my health and yes i am so lucky to have a lovin and supporting family around me, best wishes and seasons greetings, Norrms amd family xxxxx

P.S I recorded and watched "The Blues Bros for the hundreth + time earlier this week, classic !!LOL

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Behind closed doors

I wonder, when there is a serious complaint lodged against a Care Home – is there not some kind of ‘Task Force’ can be sent in pending the investigations and outcomes ?

That process already exists – it is carried out behind very firmly ‘closed doors’ so that no ‘normal human being’ will ever know the full detail. My experience of it:

Any major complaint made to a care home should by law be passed to CQC. If a human being contacts CQC with their complaint, the CQC merely passes it back to the care home. The Manager can – if s/he chooses – completely whitewash the complaint, as far as the “file” is concerned. Only if a family member is persistent will that be seen to have happened.

The CQC may pass a seriously serious complaint to the local authority and/or care home itself. CQC does not get involved.

Investigation is conducted by the local authority or by an Independent Nurse Consultant, if need be and if the local authority/SS department/mental health team (in the case of dementia care) feel ‘unsuitably qualified or ill-equipped’ to carry out the investigation, because of the seriousness of it. It can take a month before that investigation begins, especially if the person at the centre of it has died. Everyone goes into a panic; a numbness sets in which does nothing to protect the remaining residents.

If it is obviously ‘seriously serious’, there is an immediate ‘Action Plan’ imposed on the care home. Before even the Report of the Investigation is presented to whoever commissioned it.

At that point, CQC will be ‘invited’ to attend the Establishment Concerns meetings that are held, behind firmly closed doors again, within the local authority. The care home Manager will be invited to attend, as will the Regional Manager of the care provider. Plus a few other local authority bods, including the Adult Protection team of the local authority.

But, the family of anyone who may have suffered gross neglect/harm/damage in that care home is not allowed to attend. They are not allowed any information about the proceedings.

It can take another 6 months before the Chair of those meetings decides whether or not s/he chooses “to share any information” from that investigation with the family members of the person who perhaps brought the serious complaint to the notice of them all.

The family member can then demand to see the Report of that investigation, but it will be refused initially, although eventually may be graciously granted access to a ‘carefully edited’ report, anonymised so as to protect the guilty. The family member can demand to see the minutes of those Establishment Concern meetings, all held under the Safeguarding Adults framework. Once the family member has spent another 6 months, jumping through each and every hoop placed in their path, they may be sent anonymised and tidy minutes of those meetings.

And then the family member may realise that it is not “what is contained within the Report”, but what is “omitted from the Report” and sometimes even concealed from the original investigator that is the important part.

The care home meanwhile will have a series of local authority and CQC inspections, monitoring progress, or the lack of progress. The care home may be prevented from admitting new residents for a 9 month period, in one particular case.

Meanwhile, the management may change; staff may change; systems will be changed; staff-training will be carried out; the GP serving the care home may be despatched; some of the staff may be placed on the POVA list. But the wider world will still be unaware of this.

The care provider will have some of their other homes inspected by the Independent Consultants, if there is concern about the possibility that other residents in other care homes may be at risk too of serious neglect. And so it goes on.

By the time the next CQC inspection report is available, a full year will have passed.

The worrying part of the whole process? It is carried out in total secrecy. Behind closed doors.

Mark, you are often in my thoughts - and I am doing my bit too to change the revolting, repulsive system that is in place.

Last edited:

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
yes i am stuggling with that one as well because i thought they would jump at the chance of someones help (hoever limited it may be from me) Without sounding as if i am having a go at the Alzheiners society (Which i am certainly not!) i was informed by someone who is involved with them that it may take a short while before they get back to me because of "Lack of recources" This sounds FRIGHTENGLY simular to what we have just watched over the last two weeks ! very worrying indeed.

Hi Norrms

I'm sorry you feel disappointed by this.

We really are very grateful for all offers of help, and volunteers are crucial to much of Alzheimer's Society's work (Talking Point being a brilliant example :)): we couldn't do without them.

I think I was the 'someone' that suggested that, if you didn't receive a response within a few days, this was likely to be because your letter might have ended up with a team who may have limited resources. Some of our branches and teams are made up of small numbers of people, but we'd always hope to provide an excellent service and get back to enquirers as soon as possible.

I think I offered to chase this up for you if you did not hear back, and I'm still very happy to do so: if you'd like to forward your original email to me at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk, then I will try and find out where it ended up.

I've replied to your other post about your letter here, too:

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showpost.php?p=263134&postcount=2

Best wishes,

Katherine

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Thank you

Thank you Katherine, you have always been there to help and i appreciate this, best wishes and seasons greetings to one and all at the AS, Norrms and familky xxxxxxxxxxxx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I would like to make a statement in general and that is that some care is not 'poor' but 'inhumane'. We have started to get used to the word 'poor' but this is the incorrect word and it makes it more acceptable than 'inhumane'.

Marianne

Jul 5, 2008
NW England
I wonder, when there is a serious complaint lodged against a Care Home – is there not some kind of ‘Task Force’???)

There is a Task Force'POVA'or whatever they are now called but I found them to be as much use as a chocolate fireguard. They were asked to visit urgently following my dad being beaten black and blue the first time, after contacting Social Services I received an email soon after saying POVA would visit the home within the hour, it took them 6 days. They opened and closed the case giving the reason that my dad couldn't tell them who had assaulted him but insisted it was the corporal. So being as there was no corporal there was no case. Less than a month later he was beaten again this time POVA wouldn't even visit as they said my dad was not capable of giving them any information.

When I found he had been given antipsychotics without prescription the PCT looked into this and confirmed my findings were accurate. They then said they were going to investigate along with other agencies and experts in pharmaceutical and medical fields. But a big BUT, someone stopped this from happening and the PCT felt it necessary to lie to me. When I found out this investigation wasn't going ahead I went to the police, with my large file under my arm I approached the desk. I explained my case and how I had found my dad had been given Antipsychotics without them being prescribed for him. The officer said "he might have needed them" I said he was already prescribed an antipsychotic, he said "he probably needed more".

I left the station came home and rang the police and asked for CID, this detective understood and acted immediately calling at the Coroners Ofice he then called at the PCT. A day or so later he was taken off the case and the PCT employed their own policeman. This policeman had an agenda set out for him by the PCT and that was to stop me from taking my case further, scarey stuff.

If I was faced with anything like this again, god forbid, I wouldn't waste my breath or my time with the Authorities I would hire a Tannoy, notify the newspapers about what I was going to do and head for the Town Hall steps. I believe until more people make a stand and make their voices heard the greedy owners of these homes are not going to give the level of care to our elderly dementia sufferers. The home my dad was in was a 3 star Excellent rated home and still is today even though the CQC know the story, and even the latest inspection report states there are medication issues residents being given medication and not being recorded. The same manager is still sat in her comfy chair in fact nothing has changed in the last 2 years of my campaign apart from I suffered a breakdown and have a lasting legacy of seeing my dad abused.