Why does Amitriptylene only work sometimes?

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
I don't know whether anyone on here has had experience with Amitriptylene but I would appreciate some help.

David went onto 10mg recently to stop him getting up 5/6 times a night to go for a pee. It worked for two nights and then stopped working. So as the packet said 1/2 tablets a night I upped the dose to two. Again it seemed to work wonderfully for a few nights and now it seems to have stopped again! Last night he was up ready to get dressed at 5 am:eek:

I am running out of ideas......

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Please talk to whoever prescribed this drug. It can have serious side-effects in someone with dementia, as I know only too well unfortunately.

Please speak with the medics about your concerns.

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Phew.....

I was about to flag this up as a potentially harmful drug as well, glad someone else has done it. One of my neighhbours who is diabetic was prescribed this recently and swears it causes pain in her feet and legs, but I don't know her that well to know if there are other factors. My experience relates to young people suffering from chronic pain conditions. When my daughter was offered it I was able to seek prior advice form other parents whose youngsters had already been on it. Most had observed things like dizziness, in one case a 16 yr old (admittedly with pre-existing medical conditions, but none that were known to affect the heart) had a heart attack.
I know it has had some terrible press in the US. I'm not suiggesting you stop it, it must have some advantages somewhere, but I would sttrongly recommend some research so you can make a balanced informed decision.

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
I was on it for a short period but had to stop as I found it very strong. I was only on 10mg. to ease my back pain which is always worse at night, but it knocked me out so badly I could not function the next day. One of our carers has been on 40 mg a day but said, she felt so lethargic and hungry all the time, she too had to come off them. The have a habbit of using this drug for almost anything at the moment. I think your body perhaps gets used to it like sleeping tablet so it does not work any longer, but it seems rather quick in your case. I would go back to the GP

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Well, that's all very depressing. Several people had recommended this drug and when I spoke to the GP about it he thought it was worth a try. We had already tried a couple of others that were of no use at all.

I must admit David does not seem to have suffered any side affects and the GP does know his history. I am just disappointed that what looked like a 'life saver' seems to have stopped working so quickly.

I understand what you are all saying about side affects but sometimes the need for relief is so great (for both of us!!) that we are prepred to try anything.

Back to the drawing board I suppose - any other ideas?

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Just as an aside, when Jan was prescribed amitriptylene, her neurologist said that he used it himself, for migraines.

Jan used the medication for a while, with no obvious ill effects [though, admittedly, it was difficult to identify the beneficial ones].

All a long, long time ago.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I am trying to solve the problem by having the lights come on and go off automatically. Up to now there is some improvement in that I am less disturbed because I now don't have to get up to switch off all the lights.

I would just prefer to address these issues as naturally as possible until I run out of options.

Love x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
John was on 25mg at night to calm his bladder, and it did work, with no ill effects.

I take 10mg every night to prevent my neck muscles going into spasm, and it's been very effective for that too.

My GP tpld me it was no lnger used as an antidepressant, as there were now much better drugs available, but it does seem to be beneficial for some people with other problems.

I agree though, Sue, if it's not working, you have to talk to your GP. Amitriptylene was the last resort for us for John's bladder problems, but there are other treatments for enuresis, which it might be worth trying. John tried two, neither of which worked. He doesn't take anything now, but the staff at the home change him as often as necessary.

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Hi Hazel

I think we had already tried the other treatments for enuresis none of which had worked, so Amitriptylene was the last resort and when it works it is brilliant, with no side effects of which I am aware. David has also had the test for Prostate problems, which thankfully came back OK.

Helen - it's not just the lights being on it is the crashing around and banging doors and then standing there dressed ready for the day at 3 am!! - I personally have run out of ideas for dealing with this 'naturally' every night.

I shall try again tonight and just persevere - maybe last night was just a blip..

myheadisinaspin

Nov 6, 2008
marlow bucks uk
i have been on this drug for years and had no side affects in actual fact when i came off it for a period i was up all night peeing lol. mine is for depression,i take 75mg and used to take over 150mg a night along time ago.its the only way i can get some rest at night having an overactive worrying mind, it knocks me out to a perfect sleep. my hubby takes it for chronic pain, and its had the opposite affect on him hes wide awake all night and looks deathly during the day.just two other aspects on looking at amytriptyline lol. i guess like most drugs theres some who can take it and some who cant?????

PollyP.

Oct 8, 2009
Herefordshire UK
My mum (age 93) has recently been put up to 10mg Aricept which seems to be working fine, but Mum has also been on 50mg amitriptyline for about 7 years,it was prescribed for her as a mild sedative way before she had AD. She hadn't had any side effects from amitriptyline during the 7 years.

After Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimers last Nov, the consultant at the memory clinic said that she would like mum to stop taking the amitriptyline as she wanted Aricept to work on it's own without another chemical having any detrimental effects. I stopped giving mum these tablets but within a couple of weeks she was anxious, weepy and having panic/claustrophobia attacks. It was so distressing and very difficult to handle so I put her back on the amitriptyline one evening and spoke to the consultant the following day, she said to try to gradually wean mum off them.

I have since spoken to mum's doctor (he's also my doctor) and he said, in effect, that as mum hadn't had any side effects over the years taking amitriptyline, it wasn't worth all the upset by taking her off them.

She is now on both tablets and is much more relaxed and easy to cope with.

Before-hand, things had got so bad that my husband and my son were saying that mum should go into full-time care for her sake and also for mine as I was really stressed and very tearful all of the time.

It certainly seems that everyone can react differently to any drugs prescribed. Perhaps it just a case of trying to get the right one.

Pauline

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
How about a convene and a night bag would he consider that.He might relax if he knows he does not have to worry nor get up. If the amitriptylene was given to make him relax what about a sleeping tablet would that be better? or even half.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Sue...
maybe last night was just a blip..
If there's only been one night when it hasn't worked..don't panic.

Try it again tonight. You may just have to work with it and "see how it goes"

I know how hard it is. Eric is regularly up at 5 every morning..which means I am too. It's hard going. I do sympathise.

Love xx

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Hi Gigi

It makes it such a long day for everyone!! and added to the fact that David will probably have already been up every couple of hours during the night to pee too, it is just about the last straw...

Anyway, you're quite right and I will persevere because when they do work it's brilliant:)

Hope things are improving for you now (I have been reading your threads!) and am thinking of you.

Love

kal d

Jul 30, 2008
liverpool
Amitriptylene

My mum has been on this drug for 10 years for pain since her spinal operation which left her with neuropathic pain, she is now on arricept and they never mentioned anything about a conflict between these drugs. i have not noticed any changes.