"This Morning" tomorrow - see Brucie in Action!

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Hi Bruce

I watched your piece alongside several colleagues at AS, more than a few of whom were visibly moved. You did a fantastic job of telling yours and Jan’s story: thank you so much.

Katherine

Pollyanna

Jul 8, 2008
Hi

I just wanted to echo what has already been said. I found the piece very moving.

I have looked at the donations made on line for the campaign and it's obvious that Bruce and Jan's story touched so many people.

Yet again, it makes you realise just how many people this affects.

Polly x

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Time slot changes from programme to programme

For anyone wanting to record This Morning, it is good to note:

If you have Sky+ or another 'programme-based' mechanism for recording [that is, not simply setting your own start/stop time], then the programme is scheduled as TWO programmes, one before the news, a different one after.

The segment yesterday was 11.30 [programme 2] but the one today was 11.10 [programme 1].

To be sure of capturing the segment in advance, you need to set up to record both parts of the programme.

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
Bruce

I have just watched the link. You did one fantastic job.:) I can only begin to imagine how emotionally hard that must have been for you to do. Thank you

Love Carina x

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
This Morning Christmas appeal for Alzheimer's Society.

Here is the link for the This Morning appeal on just giving.

THIS MORNING CHRISTMAS APPEAL

This Morning has nominated the Alzheimer's Society and Alzheimer's Scotland for their Christmas Charity Appeal. Nearly £40,000 raised so far!

Kind Regards
Craig

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
An chance of A.S. selling a DVD of the whole appeal???

Nice thought as a money spinner but I believe that the rights to the individual pieces will reside with ITV, not the Alzheimer's Society.

Your idea is still a good one however - more so if tweaked so that a resource DVD is produced to be used in training for dementia care.

Now THAT would be something I would wholeheartedly support. :)

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Nice thought as a money spinner but I believe that the rights to the individual pieces will reside with ITV, not the Alzheimer's Society.

Your idea is still a good one however - more so if tweaked so that a resource DVD is produced to be used in training for dementia care.

Now THAT would be something I would wholeheartedly support. :)
I suppose (being me!!) training was what I had in mind -but did not like to say it - could your lovely clip be used for training? It's a thought - but would need careful consideration.....I think the whole appeal is outstanding in the portrayal of love, dilemma, compassion and personhood and I could see someone like myself beginning to move into an area of raising awareness and skills one day with material like this at the heart of it. There have been calls on TP & elsewhere (recently) for training, there was another thread suggesting someone had done training work with local AS. I know you can do a Masters in dementia care but I'm talking a really practical training idea like the St John 1st Aid approach - you know - you can do 1 day, or 4 or more, & regular updates & it keeps you on your toes with skills - I think we need more skills and awareness right across NHS, SS staff & businesses & of course the public too. I wish I had clicked on the record button! I don't think it can be kept from the ITV link though.

janlyn

Oct 19, 2009
gloucester
well done

hi bruce,
i like many others want to thank you and jan for the touching film, my husband has just been diagnosed with ftd, we have been together for thirty five years we met like you and your jan when he was eighteen and i was fourteen we have been married for nearly thirty two years . we are expecting a visit from our local alzhimers today as we want to know what we will be comming accross in the near future thanks to all the help we have had from tp members and seeing your film and knowing we are not alone helps us greatly thank you so much:)

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
I know where Helen is coming from too .... is it not time the ‘Alzheimer’s Society’ recognised its leading role and renamed itself simply and more accurately the ‘Dementia society’ – many of here know it acts as an umbrella organisation for all types of dementia, yet its title still does not reflect that? And is that deterring people from 1) supporting it and 2) seeking help from it .... ?

(

I would heartily second this Karen. I didn't realise for long enough that the AS supported all types of dementias not just AD and because of this when Mum was diagnosed with VAD I didn't realise for long enough that they were the people to whom I should have turned for support.

gill@anchorage5

Apr 29, 2007
Southampton
Hello Bruce

Just watched via the link - a job well done and what a wonderful advert for TP!

When I logged on to TP tonight there was the highest number logged on that I have ever seen. I'm sure your coverage will have brought so many new people to this site and hope that they will find the support here that I have appreciated so much over the years.

Take care

Gill x

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
This Morning Christmas Appeal

Anyone else been following this?

I set the recorder and watch in the evenings. Each day they have covered different stories and aspects of dementia. I think they have done an excellent job.

I checked online earlier and so far they have raised just short of £140,000 and their target was £100,000...fantastic!:)

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
]A Postscript to the 2009 Christmas Appeal at the "This Morning" programme at ITV.

I thought I would share some pictures from a party held at the ITV South Bank studios in London yesterday, to celebrate Christmas and to announce the amount - so far - raised in the appeal.

Despite the parlous weather conditions around the country, there was a room full of people who had been involved in the videos, and others who had been collecting for the appeal, plus members of Alzheimer's Society and well-known people who have associated themselves with the charity.

I went with Nina and her grandson Dylan.

The TV programme went on as normal in the studio downstairs, while there were frequent cuts to the room we were in, to feature interviews.

As tends to be the case with dementia, most of the carers and people with the condition were much older than those of us with a young onset experience. We found ourselves at a table with John Stevenson's family - you may remember he is the lovely man featured in the videos, who was 52 when diagnosed. He and his daughter also appeared in the Terry Pratchett films earlier this year. A lovely family, and a privilege to meet them.

We had the opportunity to talk informally with a number of the celebrities - Lynda Bellingham [a gem!], Tony Robinson, and X Factor contestant Danyl among them.

We were surprised and delighted when, at the end of the programme when the amount collected was to be announced, the entire group of celebrities joined our table. So, with Lynda Bellingham at our left, and Danyl at our right, it was a trifle unreal.

Here are some [rather poor] pictures from the day. I had my pocket camera with me and only used it for movies as flash photography is so obtrusive.

party 2.jpg

party 1.jpg

Gino "King of the Jungle" came in as Santa and he is even more charming in person than on the screen.

Gino 1.jpg

Danyl and Tania

Danyl and Tania.jpg

Dylan [purple shirt] got in the act as a guest celebrity....

Dylan and other celebs.jpg

Last edited:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
and finally...

janice.jpg

I gave a special thankyou to Janice, the director of the whole thing, and the person who came to our home and to see Jan in the filming.

Very sensitive, very nice person who did a magnificent job for the campaign.

Behind Janice in this picture is Paul Ross, one of the presenters of the programme.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
and finally, there are too many AS people to thank, but in particular Jo Swinhoe, the person responsible for all of it deserves more than a back view picture, but.... it is all I have... :(

Well done, Jo and the entire team!

Jo.jpg

Jo, seated, with Lynda Bellingham and Tony Robinson in the background