Registered EPA - Dealing With Banks etc.

davide

Feb 14, 2008
London
Hi,

I have registered an EPA over my dad's affairs, and just got back the registered document from the OPG - great (was worried it had got stuck in the postal strikes).

Now trying to find out how to deal with the banks etc. My dad has a dozen or more different bank and building society accounts, shareholdings, tax, pension, utilities, insurance, etc., all of which I'd like to gradually get transferred to my address.

Should I get some certified copies made - will most organisations accept this, or will some want to see the original? I've no intention of sending the original through the post in the current circumstances ...

Also the EPA document (which was written 10 years ago) has old addresses for both my dad and myself - is this likely to cause a problem with the banks recognising it?

Thanks

David

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
Hi David

Never let the original EPA out of your house. Lock it away in a safe place.

I rang round and found a solicitor who would do the certified copies free of charge (in the hope of business later). There is no fixed price.

ALWAYS ask for your certified copy back when sending it by post.

I don’t think the address on the EPA should cause a problem. Mum had moved address and it did not cause a problem.

Never leave the car in a restricted time parking zone. Always expect your business to take much longer than you expect (then sometimes you will be delighted).

Be ready for some of the organisations to not know how to deal with the EPA. All clerks missed something on their training course. Don’t be afraid to ask to speak to the expert at head office if the clerk and the manager don’t understand what they should be doing.

You should be able to act exactly as your dad would have done when you show the EPA and your identification.

Best wishes

Clive

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
My experience

I am pretty sure NO ONE will acept the EPA if the addresses are not curent as when I took the one Mum and I had made up they all insisted on either a certified copy (one actually signed by the solcitior and a witness) a photocpoy is NOT sufficient. I found the bankl was far more ujnderstanding thab=n the buiolding society but the managetr at the buildiung society didnt really have a clue and once I had rung their head office myself and went in with the number for head office and all the informtion they had given me it was was quickly sorted. In each case I had to provide certificated copies of the EPA or take the original so the bank building society could copy it themselves, ID for myself, and two forms of proof of address (and I thinkm that is where you will have a problem) These are things like utility bills, letters form the DWP, payslips etc but muct be less than three months old.
I think your first step would be to get the addresses changed formally, if he same solicitor is still operating maybe you could ask then for a few certificated copies at the same time, some charge for this, ours included 10 copies in the fee with an additonal charge if we wanted more copies.
I am just about to register Mum's EPA and have an apppointment with the solicitor on Wednesday. You can register it without using a solicitor but I feel it will take one thing of my plate.
I hope this has helped

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I can't imagine that anyone will insist on seeing the original, but if they should, point out that the only way this will happen is if you can take it to a branch. Otherwise, as Clive says, keep it under lock and key, preferably in a fire proof document box.

Good luck - expect problems and be pleasantly surprised if they don't occur. Clive's point about unrestricted parking is absolutely spot on.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I've just seen Bristolbelles response - there may be difference when you are dealing with an unregistered EPA as opposed to a registered EPA. However, it's always worthwhile taking as much ID as you can muster (for both you and your father).

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
You can get 2 free certified copies from the Office of the Public Guardian (you will need to write to request them - they don't volunteer the info or copies).

We also got some certified copies from a solicitor which most organisations will accept. But there were a couple who refused those (National Savings were one) and we then sent those one of the 2 free certified copies from the OPG and they were happy with those.

When I sent copies off to each organisation I also asked that all future correspondance be sent to my Grandfathers name c/o my address. They have all agreed to this.

Stephen Hants

Jan 2, 2007
hampshire
I have a registered LPA. I went into the local branch of my mothers bank and building society and they made copies. For the DWP I went into the Job Centre who made copies and I sent those to the DWP. I've never sent and dont intend sending the originals anywhere. Why they cant all just check with the OPG is beyond me

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Also the EPA document (which was written 10 years ago) has old addresses for both my dad and myself - is this likely to cause a problem with the banks recognising it?

Legally this doesn't cause a problem, but practically it might. Presumably the banks will have a record of your dad's previous address if he had the bank account when he lived there, but I would go armed with evidence of your previous address (such as old bank statements if you have them).

Remember you will also need evidence of your present ID, such as passport, driving licence, utility bills and so on.

A copy of a Power of Attorney must be certified on each page, either by the OPG; or by a solicitor in his/her personal name, not the firm name.

davide

Feb 14, 2008
London
Thanks for the advice guys.

In the end I found a local solicitor who did four certified copies for £20, so I was happy with that.

The Post Office could have done them too, but it seemed like it would work out at over £50 (the lady was not the most helpful and could not explain it very well), so I did not go for that.

For banks and building socs with local branches, I have taken in the original; for everyone else I have sent certified copies by post, and these have all gone through OK. I have not had any problems with the different addresses.