so glad i read trip advisor

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
last night i thought i would see if i could get away somewhere nice for a few days whilst Trev is in respite, Found this beautifull boutique hotel in Turkey, small but very luxurios, healthy gourmet food, yoga and walking avaiable and organised excursions, Trev and i did not do this type of trip but just did not feel up to all the organising , just wanted someone eles to take care of everything, it came at a price , but i thought Trev would have wanted this for me, , was on the point of booking this afternoon, and thought i will take a look at trip advisor, the first 5 reviews all 5 star and then up popped another review which stated that this hotel was used by another company for its singles hoildays which would be my idea of hell, so am thinking maybe a spa ,my enthuisiasm is now waning or am i just being a coward. at one time Trev and i would decide to go away and be on a plane next day, do not know if it will be too painfull without him, maybe see if i could take grandson to disney .would not have time to think then. never thought i would become an hesitant traveller pam

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Understandable

Hiya Pam, i`m sure everybody can understand you becoming a hesitant traveller, and i`m also sure a short holiday is just what Trev would want for you. Thank goodness for Trip Tdvisor eh?? I recently wrote a review of the guest house and hotel we stayed in at Burnham for the Carnival. The Guest house was wonderful but the hotel not too good, always best to check first, lots of hugs and good luck, Norrms and family xxxxxx

Plum1108

Nov 20, 2009
I love Trip Advisor - I don't book a holiday without it! Somethings need to be taken with a pinch of salt and some things that are my idea of hell are somebody else's cup of tea and vice versa!
Plum

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Pam

I love Trip Advisor too and spend ages on it when planning a holiday. Mind you I don't know whether I'll ever need it again:(

Your idea of this kind of holiday in Turkey sounds wonderful Pam but personally I would trust Trip Advisor. I think you are really brave especially if you are thinking of going alone. I am so afraid of it compounding my aloneness that I wouldn't dare risk it but I so much admire people that are able to do it. When are you thinking of? Before or after Christmas?

Let us know what other places you come up with:)

Love

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Hesitant wanderer...

I received a small unexpected inheritance this year, and as my husband, and children have never been abroad we are planning to go to Malta next year. We have just sent off for our passports. I'm not the happiest of flyers, and haven't been abroad myself since 1982, they are all looking to me for confidence and I'm not sure how much I will be able to offer. I am also worries about hiring a car over there as I worry about law in foreign countries.
How I envy people who are "travel smart" the way the swank around airports as if it's nothing at all.
I am full of admiration for you planning these trips would you be thinking of Disney in Orlando or Florida? I think I would have touble getting to Paris - in fact the idea of the Channel Tunnel is worse than flying, or dear I am a wuss.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Me too re Trip Advisor. I use it all the time and have found it really reliable. I write reviews whenever I can as I feel I should reciprocate. This year I wrote a review of the Riad we stayed in when we were in Marrakesh and I wrote in on the netbook when we were still there. We moved on to another place in Morocco and the owner of the Riad phoned me on the mobile from London to thank me for my review! I was dead chuffed! I also wrote one about the next Riad and I got an email when I got home thanking me for it. It's good to know that owners feel that the reviews are important.

I hope you do get a holiday sorted out. You deserve it, Pam. Izzy x

Pescita

Oct 31, 2009
Singles aren't all bad....

I’m just wondering why the holiday being used for “singles” holidays is your “idea of hell”? If you are thinking that “singles” holidays are all wild “Club 18-30” type hols, or are just matchmaking affairs for people who are desperate to get paired off, I can assure you this is not the case! Many singles holidays these days are aimed at a more mature market – there are lots of single people (divorced, widowed, never married) who just prefer to go on an organised holiday where they know they will have the company of other lone travellers, rather than being the only single person in a hotel full of couples. I am single & in my forties & have been in that position myself - & I am neither wild (well, not very often these days :() nor desperate!

The type of hotel you describe sounds like it is much more likely to be used for the sort of holiday I am talking about, especially as it sounds quite upmarket & offers plenty of activities, which are often popular with single travellers. So I wouldn’t let the mention of singles holidays put you off, unless the comments on Trip Advisor make it clear that the hotel is being used by the type of “singles” group that you really wouldn’t like (Does it name the company which uses the hotel for singles?). Incidentally, the kind of singles holidays that are aimed at a more mature age group generally tend to attract more women than men.

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Very true Pescita, my sis (56) and BIL used to go on loads of long hauls but after he died in 2002 she has been on lots of singles holidays to the Rockies, Oz (twice) and NZ, Greece & Turkey. When we were looking to spending my 50th (until we realised mum would be in no fit state by then for us to leave dad) in the Maldives or Carib we found lots of "honeymoon paradises" and "couples only" which was our idea of hell both being widowed!

Also if you go a "singles" holiday they usually offer rooms without single person supplement which is a bonus.

Mind you if you are talking Club 18-30 then I'd run in the opposite direction!

I really hope you find somewhere nice Pam, you are overdue a good break and pamper.

Vonny xx

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
I have to say I dont set much store by trip advisor...as one doesnt really know the preferences of the initial critic!
I recently had a holiday at a hotel in Tunisia which was praised to the skies on TA but it was the holiday from hell for me as I wanted a nice peaceful break and this was very much a butlins style of hotel.
Ive also been to hotels with poor reviewss..especially about the food.. but as Im happy with a plate of salad once a day again not an issue for me .
Anyway , I hope u have a really great break, you deserve it xx