Hello

Daryl

Feb 13, 2006
Up North
Hi Everybody

I'm a new member and I would just like to say that the information available on this site has already been a big help.

I came across the site while researching what help is available to carers and I'm hoping that the collective knowledge of the members of this forum can point me in the right direction.

I'm researching on behalf of my Dad who is caring for my Mam who was diagnosed with alzheimers a couple of years ago. He's doing a fantastic job but as her health has worsened the strain is starting to get to him, so after a lot of chipping away from our family he has admitted he needs to accept some. A CPN came out last week and said he would contact Social Services who would come out to assess the situation and then offer their recommendations.

Does anyone know of other support and care that could be available to both/either parents or should we wait to see what recommendations Social Services offer ?

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Daryl and welcome, just wanted to say welcome. Norm has given you good advice, once you have the assessment, you can work out what will need to be done to help. Love She. XX

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Daryl,

Welcome to TP. I'm sure you'll find a great deal of help and support on this forum. Just ask as many questions as you need to.

Kind regards,

Jude

Daryl

Feb 13, 2006
Up North
Hi All

Thanks for the advice. I printed out the relevant sheets and passed them on to my Dad.

They were visited by a social worker on Wednesday who advised my Dad that a local care home could provide care for my Mam (both day and overnight) and help could be brought into their home to help with bathing and dressing.
Dad's not keen on the latter but he's willing to visit the care home. This has come as a massive relief to me as he has always dug his heels in at the thought of external care.

Also Mam takes RIVASTIGMINE but I have read a lot of posts on TP about people taking ARICEPT and have read articles on other web-sites promoting GALANTAMINE as the superior drug. Are there benefits of one over the other ? and at what point would EBIXA be recommended ?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I have so many questions buzzing around my head.

Best Wishes to all.

Daryl

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hello Daryl. Might help to ckeck out the Alzheimers Fact Sheet 407.
Hope this helps. Just click on the fact sheet link at the tope left hand corner.
Regards, Connie