UTI or forgotten how to go?

dalesman

Feb 8, 2009
Leeds
All of a sudden Brenda seems unable to wee. She's needed reminding and helping for a while, but last night she sat on the loo and nothing happened. I knew she was bursting! After about 20 minutes of her standing up saying she'd finished, and me sitting her down again, running taps and telling her what to do, she finally did it. The same happened again this morning. She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort, apart from being obviously desperate to go.

Any ideas? Maybe a UTI - this would be the first? Or has she just forgotten how to do it? These things always seem to happen on a weekend when the GP surgery's shut.

John

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
I have no idea about UTIs. Sorry not much help but I am simply thinking of being comfortable and being able to relax. Sometimes the more stressed the situation is the less able we are to perform. :)

foxhound

Jun 26, 2008
We have a slightly similiar problem - my mother has days when she only passes a very small amount of urine for 24 hours or so, then the bladder clears quite easily. No real view from the medics - but it does seem that sometimes it's linked to mild constipation.

Can't really see any ill effects at this end, although one would imagine it might alter all sorts of levels (including elimination of meds).

All very puzzling. Sorry not to be more useful!

lastday

Aug 23, 2007
prunes

have had a similar problem with lynda for about two years,when constipation caused her great pain,when it seems to be coming on again,i always check to see what she has done(poo watch i call it)and then give her a few prunes or prune juice,it has never failed to work, she does foget what she is in there for and the only answer i know is to say leave it to later then return two minutes later works most of time.seems stupid but this is avery good topic. i do know i am getting sicker!!!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
It could be a UTI I suppose but they tend to increase urination rather than the opposite. Is she on any medications? If it happens again and you can't get her to urinate you should call NHS Direct 0845 4647 because this can be dangerous.

dalesman

Feb 8, 2009
Leeds
Thanks. I hadn't thought of a link to constipation, but it could be that. No recent change in meds. Off to buy some prunes!

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
I have also noticed a change in habits recently in that my husband has suddenly started sitting on the loo to do a wee instead of standing!!

dalesman

Feb 8, 2009
Leeds
Success!

Just to let you know that the prunes did the trick. I don't know if constipation was the cause or effect, but everything's more or less working again. The GP was totally useless - he told me to get a sample. I pointed out that the problem was that she couldn't wee - doh! So many thanks for the help on here.
John

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Someone did explain it to me

Sorry, cannot remember who.
Bladder when full presses on bowel, and vice versa.
So, sort both out at the same time.
Worked for Ron:)

Barb X