Social Services (what A Disgrace)

nigel

Oct 29, 2005
:mad:
Hi everyone,

My mum had her mental assessment done on the 5th Dec, she scored very low.
The consultant told me that the aricept medication would now be stopped.
I am upset and angry by this decision, for the following reasons.

When the appointment was booked a couple of weeks ago, I had told the social worker that I would get Mum ready, and take her down for the assessment, the reason being is that Mum is not a "Morning Person" and generally never gets out of bed before 1pm. (When I get her ready for the day centre I allow 2 hours to get
her ready before Age Concern pick her up, ie: I wake her up gently with a cup of tea, bring the paper up, run her bath, make sure she has got her colostomy bag on, after her bath, then help her get dressed, then get her downstairs for breakfast.

The social worker phoned me up on the 2nd of Dec, to say there was a change of
plan, they needed for Mum to go to the local medical centre for a blood test(9:am
appointment, then on to the hospital for the mental assessment (10:30am appointment) She said for me not to bother going to Mum's to get her ready, as the support worker would take care of all this, I told her what was involved re: getting Mum ready, and she told me not to worry as she knew what was involved.

I should mention that I don't live with Mum, I live about 10 miles away, so against
my better judgement I agreed to this. When I arrived at the hospital the first words the support worker said to me were "Where were you? I had expected you
to get her bathed and dressed" When I told her what the social worker had arranged she that there had "crossed wires" I looked at Mum who looked as though she had been dragged through a hedge backwards, and was in a right
state, she looked dis-orientated, and dis-shevelled and looked really pale.

By the time I had arrived, (trouble parking the car....long story) the test had been
done, I was called into a room and met with the social worker and consultant
I told the socialworker what a " shambles" this had been, and she replied "We got her here on time what's the problem" Yes she actually said that!!!!

The consultant told me that Mum had scored below 12, and would no longer be taking the aricept, she then said that she needs to go into a care home with immediate effect, I told them both where to go, and they said if I don't agree
they can legally force me to put her into care. I explained that Mum is not wandering, is not a danger to herself or any one else, the social worker said
that she is frail and isolated (I don't know how she can be as my wife and I go all day Saturday, take her out shopping and make sure she eats, I go again on Sunday morning, then she has a care support twice a day weekdays, and a cleaner at least once a week. I also go on wednesday evening and stay overnight to keep her company and to give her a gentle start for her thursday visit to the day care centre).

I am now using Trafford Council's complaints procedures, Last week a senior
social worker contacted me, and I said that the whole lead up to the test was a disgrace, she agreed that we should look at the current care package and discuss
what improvements can be made, she said she would get back to me, as she has
a few concerns, In the meantime I have had another harrassing phone call from
Mum's social worker saying she need's to be in care now, If I was in a room with
this woman, I would be up for murder. Has anyone had any similar experiences to
this? I would appreciate any comments, Thanks for your patience

Regards
Nigel

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Nigel
what an absolute disaster!

I have no comments specifically, but as a matter of urgency I would get in touch with the consultant and have her put back on the medication until things can be tested in a sensible way.

I'd guess that these days the medics look for the slightest reason to save money by withdrawing medication.

Perhaps that senior social worker could back you up?

If, in a month or so, the tests are done and the results are the same, then at least you will feel that justice has been done to her.

Unkind it may seem, but it is also probably beneficial for you to have been exposed to the possibility of her going to a care home. It may not happen soon - it may never happen - but I found my mind took on a completely different focus once that possibility was raised for the first time for my wife.

Meantime, be angry by all means, have a good rant on here..... but harness that anger when dealing with the SS [so aptly named sometimes]

Attachments

• SS.gif
    SS.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 536

nigel

Oct 29, 2005
Thanks

HI BRUCE,

Thanks for replying, what worries me is that maybe I should have registered with the courts a lot earlier, it never occurred to do this. Although I registered epa's
with all her banks etc.

I can still sit down and discuss money matters with Mum, explain to her What's been coming in and what is going out, and she will understand, but if you ask her
what we were talking about 10 mins later she will have forgotten.

When I spoke to my solicitor last week, he seemed to thinks as long as she has not gone ga ga, there is no reason to register with the courts, in fact he told me
that most people don't bother, it was only with the Consultant and social worker
insisting that I do it, that I have applied for the ep1 and ep2 form, unfortunately
the original epa seems to have been mislaid, I registered as an epa 2 years ago
so just assumed the solicitor would have the original. I havent got it

Could Social services take any action against me for not doing it earlier?

Regards

Nigel

nigel

Oct 29, 2005
Thanks

HI BRUCE,

Thanks for replying, what worries me is that maybe I should have registered with the courts a lot earlier, it never occurred to do this. Although I registered epa's
with all her banks etc.

I can still sit down and discuss money matters with Mum, explain to her What's been coming in and what is going out, and she will understand, but if you ask her
what we were talking about 10 mins later she will have forgotten.

When I spoke to my solicitor last week, he seemed to thinks as long as she has not gone ga ga, there is no reason to register with the courts, in fact he told me
that most people don't bother, it was only with the Consultant and social worker
insisting that I do it, that I have applied for the ep1 and ep2 form, unfortunately
the original epa seems to have been mislaid, I registered as an epa 2 years ago
so just assumed the solicitor would have the original. I havent got it

Regards

Nigel

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Nigel
What an awful time you have had.
Go the whole hog with SS,make sure that you record every detail,phone calls the lot,in detail.
I am in the process of a formal complaint against SS at the moment,today with my advocate we met with the independent investigating officer.
My complaint is regarding not returning calls,delay, 5 months in a re-assessment and a few other things.
I am horified at the treatment you Mother received,I become more annoyed as I think about it,you must follow it up.
I hope things improve for you soon, post when you need to let off steam
Norman

nigel

Oct 29, 2005
Thanks

Norman,

Thanks for your reply. I just hope that SS don't take any action against me for not
registering with the courts earlier.

Regards
Nigel

ps hope you get your problems sorted

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Nigel
maybe I should have registered with the courts a lot earlier, it never occurred to do this. Although I registered epa's
I'm no expert but I think you are confusing two types of 'registering' here.

While you can show a completed and witnessed EPA to a bank, it is only when it is registered with the Court of Protection that it is formally 'registered' as such.

If you had the original signed and witnessed EPA you could send that in now.

My Jan was in a similar situation to your Mum when we signed and witnessed her EPA originally. The solicitor [a family friend] was there as witness and he first checked that Jan was able to understand what was going on. I think another couple of months and it would have been more hit-and-miss.

The solicitor then kept the original and gave me two certified copies to use with banks etc.

Much later [later than it should have been] I registered the EPA, which has now been in place in that form for 2 years. In my experience, banks nowadays are only willing to act on registered EPAs.

Since you don't have the original EPA, and your Mum seems in a position still to be able to complete a new one, I'd suggest you do that as soon as you possibly can.

I'd get that done then call the Court of Protection and ask their advice on whether you need to register it yet. I had cause to call them the other day and they were fantastically helpful - where I had been really worried about something, they were able to put my mind completely at rest.

I also called the Alzheimer's Society Legal person and she was likewise absolutely great, so you might try that as well, to put your mind at rest.
None whatsoever, in my opinion. None of their business. Often happens that people in their position are happy to go way outside of their competency in talking in this way, yet are unwilling to do key things where they are supposed to be both competent and responsible.

wendy43uk

Dec 22, 2005
sheffield
hi last time my hubby went to see the doctor his score was 16 gone from 23 in 3 months he didnot take the acrept away but told me he thinks its not working any moor he added a new tablet called ebixa wich i beleve is my hubbys last chance of mabe stoping the progress for a while he has been a lot better mabe uou can ask to try this tablet for your mum hope this helps :rolleyes:

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Ebixa

Wendy : I saw your mention of Ebixa - can you tell me whether this is on prescription. I was told that if we wanted ebixa we would have to pay privately. I see you are in Sheffield and we are Derbyshire - is this a postcode thing I wonder. I would be interested in hearing your view about the effects of ebixa although understand it may take a while to 'clock in' - aricept takes around 3 months they say. Thanks BeckyJan

EDITH

Jan 26, 2006
Nigel Mad

nigel said:
:mad:
Hi everyone,

My mum had her mental assessment done on the 5th Dec, she scored very low.
The consultant told me that the aricept medication would now be stopped.
I am upset and angry by this decision, for the following reasons.

When the appointment was booked a couple of weeks ago, I had told the social worker that I would get Mum ready, and take her down for the assessment, the reason being is that Mum is not a "Morning Person" and generally never gets out of bed before 1pm. (When I get her ready for the day centre I allow 2 hours to get
her ready before Age Concern pick her up, ie: I wake her up gently with a cup of tea, bring the paper up, run her bath, make sure she has got her colostomy bag on, after her bath, then help her get dressed, then get her downstairs for breakfast.

The social worker phoned me up on the 2nd of Dec, to say there was a change of
plan, they needed for Mum to go to the local medical centre for a blood test(9:am
appointment, then on to the hospital for the mental assessment (10:30am appointment) She said for me not to bother going to Mum's to get her ready, as the support worker would take care of all this, I told her what was involved re: getting Mum ready, and she told me not to worry as she knew what was involved.

I should mention that I don't live with Mum, I live about 10 miles away, so against
my better judgement I agreed to this. When I arrived at the hospital the first words the support worker said to me were "Where were you? I had expected you
to get her bathed and dressed" When I told her what the social worker had arranged she that there had "crossed wires" I looked at Mum who looked as though she had been dragged through a hedge backwards, and was in a right
state, she looked dis-orientated, and dis-shevelled and looked really pale.

By the time I had arrived, (trouble parking the car....long story) the test had been
done, I was called into a room and met with the social worker and consultant
I told the socialworker what a " shambles" this had been, and she replied "We got her here on time what's the problem" Yes she actually said that!!!!

The consultant told me that Mum had scored below 12, and would no longer be taking the aricept, she then said that she needs to go into a care home with immediate effect, I told them both where to go, and they said if I don't agree
they can legally force me to put her into care. I explained that Mum is not wandering, is not a danger to herself or any one else, the social worker said
that she is frail and isolated (I don't know how she can be as my wife and I go all day Saturday, take her out shopping and make sure she eats, I go again on Sunday morning, then she has a care support twice a day weekdays, and a cleaner at least once a week. I also go on wednesday evening and stay overnight to keep her company and to give her a gentle start for her thursday visit to the day care centre).

I am now using Trafford Council's complaints procedures, Last week a senior
social worker contacted me, and I said that the whole lead up to the test was a disgrace, she agreed that we should look at the current care package and discuss
what improvements can be made, she said she would get back to me, as she has
a few concerns, In the meantime I have had another harrassing phone call from
Mum's social worker saying she need's to be in care now, If I was in a room with
this woman, I would be up for murder. Has anyone had any similar experiences to
this? I would appreciate any comments, Thanks for your patience

Regards
Nigel
HI NIGEL,
Yes, I imagine you are annoyed and very upset, however I am not surprised after my experience with social workers, one cannot generalise I know, but most social workers involved with my mothers situation have been a total waste of space. Totally lacking in understanding and the statements often made by these so called social workers, often beggars belief.
Let me assure you, no one, absolutely no one can insist that you place your mother in a care home. It is of course easier on social services if they can persuade you to do so, and in my experience, they do try to persuade you to do so. But stick to your guns, and insist that they asses your mother and put a care plan in place. It is possible, and it is your right to keep your mother at home as long as possible. Once being placed in care in my opinion, it is a downward spiral. My sister and I have cared for our mother in her home for l6 years, this being the time she was diagnosed as having alzheimers disease. We do have overnight care for her 4 nights a week which is a great help as she now needs 24 hour care, and those nights mean at least we can have sleep and wake refreshed to face the day ahead. Tender loving care from family as long as possible does help alzheimers patients rather being placed in establishments where they are merely fed dressed and kept clean (not always) but in our experience there is little stimulation or any sense of normality to ensure any decent quality of life. I don't imagine our mother would have survived even a small proportion of the years had we given in to social services and placed her in an EMI home. Stick to your guns, it is your choice, not your social workers.