Update on my lovely Dad - John

gill@anchorage5

Apr 29, 2007
Southampton
Good Morning

Have not posted for some time, as we have been kept pretty busy here caring for Dad. For those who may remember us - a little update. For those who don't remember us, my lovely Dad is now 93, has had Alzheimer's for 16 years and I have cared for him at home for the last 3 years.

Dad went into respite care again on Tuesday 13th Oct. Had been having some problems "down below" but nothing major and seemed quite well in himself. Transfer day to respite is never easy, but went OK.

Wednesday - visited him and he was fine, we even took part in the sing-a-long with the OT's.

Thursday I got a call to say that the hospital were very worried about him & went straight in. When I got there the lovely House Doctor advised that he had another urine infection and that this had led to scepticemia. He had been recatheterised, given IV antibiotic and put on a drip.

On Friday consultant very bluntly told me that Dad had kidney failure and to expect the worst. We had to decide whether he should be transferred to the General where he would be in an open ward where no-one knew him and they were unlikely to be able to do anything further, or to keep him where he is, where he has the privacy of his own room and the staff all know him well and care for him so well. We opted to keep him where he is - with that old cliche of "keeping him as pain-free and comfortable as possible".

Since then we have really been through the mill. His kidneys are actually functioning now (so that was a mis-diagnosis) - but he is very poorly. The drip had to be removed because it caused a lot of swelling and it is proving difficult to get him to take fluids because he is asleep for so much of the time. He now has a morphine patch which we hope is keeping him more comfortable.

Dad was really poorly in March and ended up staying there for 6 weeks rather than the two weeks respite planned, but he rallied and we got him home again.

We are just taking things one day at a time here now. Have moved back with Mum for moral support and because it is closer to the hospital. We are spending as much time as we can with Dad. Difficult times....

If you are able to do so - please pray for him.

Kind regards to all

Gill x

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
Sorry to hear about your poor Dad. It does sound like they are keeping him comfortable though. My thoughts are with you and your Dad. Will say a prayer for him too.
love Gill x

foxhound

Jun 26, 2008
Prayer sent.

However, (with tongue slightly in cheek) I am increasingly coming to the view that the Greeks had it right with a polytheistic view (many gods rather than one) on the basis that only a committee could make such a resounding ****-up of the affairs of this world!

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Gill

They sound like traumatic and difficult days Gill for all of you and you will all be included in my prayers:)

Love and a (HUG)

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Prayers said for all of you and I shall continue to think about you all at this difficult time. Good to hear that your Dad has good care around him and is being kept as comfortable as possible.
Jan

gill@anchorage5

Apr 29, 2007
Southampton
Difficult times

Good Morning

Thanks for your responses and words of comfort at this difficult time.

Dad is sleeping for most of the time now, hopefully with the increased morphine he is feeling no pain. He does appear to be comfortable for most of the time. He is taking a little bit of fluid but not much when he is awake (and the odd spoonful of ice-cream, which has always been his favourite!) Occasionally opens his eyes and yesterday seemed to be focussing on my face when I spoke to him, rather than looking straight through me.

Mum & I are spending as much time as we can with him. You just feel so helpless, holding his hand and trying to talk "normally" to him. I just hope that my lovely Dad knows how much he is loved - I am always telling him that and will continue to do so. I am managing to "keep it together" when I need to, but am really in pieces inside. It just takes some-one to say something nice to me when I am out of Dad's ear-shot and I'm in floods of tears. Letting go is so, so hard and while I can't deny the inevitable I know that I'll never feel ready to "finally let go". I know I should, but I just can't.

Friends & close relatives and the lovely staff at the hospital (from Dads Consultant, to the carers) have said that we are so lucky to have this precious time with Dad, and in many ways I believe this to be true, but it's just so heartbreaking....and somehow "surreal"

The staff at the respite hospital continue to be wonderful and so caring (to all of us) and are continuing to treat him medically to ensure that he is kept as comfortable as possible. Little things like treating the sores on his mouth, putting padded boots on his to stop the friction.

Then there's all the caring things that the staff are doing, spending time with Dad when we are not there, holding his hand and talking to him, giving us the green light to visit / phone at any time, popping in regularly to see that we are all OK and offering us tea and coffee. For Dad they are putting his music on when we're not there, somebody put an arrangement of artificial flowers in his room to9 brighten it up, bringing a torch in as the lights seemed to bright for him, and even the "dinner-lady" putting aside an ice-cream from lunch and tea in case he can manage a bit.

That was quite a long list - but it's all those little "caring touches" that mean so much to all of us and I really cannot thank them enough for all they're doing.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers (if appropriate)

Love

Gill x

gill@anchorage5

Apr 29, 2007
Southampton
No more suffering....

Good Evening

Very sad to advise that my lovely Dad passed away at 05:15 this morning. We received the call from the respite hospital at 5:00 and got there at 05:30 - so we were just too late to be with him at the end of this long journey.

He looked so peaceful when we went in to see him, after what has been a horribly difficult few days for him.

I knew I would never be "ready" to let my lovely Dad go, but could not bear to see him suffering any more.

Today has been rather surreal....lots of phone-calls made on "auto-pilot" - family around for which I'm so grateful. Calm and in control one minute and in floods of tears.

No more suffering thankfully - but already my world seems very empty without him.

Will try to be strong and support Mum.

Love

Gill x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Please accept my condolences Gill on the loss of your dad, and take comfort and consolation from knowing you have been a wonderful daughter.

Bubblyxx

Oct 25, 2009
Rutland
My condolences Gill. You did all you could for your Dad and you are right - your Mum needs you now.
Take Care
Monika

Scottie45

Jan 25, 2009
CoAntrim
Dear Gill

So very sorry to hear of your dad,s passing,you are all in my thoughts and prayers,take care Marian xx

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Please accept my condolences too Gill, it is a difficult time for you all. My thoughts are with you and your family. Very best wishes

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew 132