Ebixa (Memantine) and PCT policy in the UK

johnscondor

Oct 21, 2009
SE Hampshire
Dear Forum Users, I am trying to get a definite answer to the questions below:
1. Does any UK PCT allow NHS prescriptions for Ebixa (Memantine), on the NHS?
2. If YES which ones do allow the drug to be prescribed on the NHS?
3. Are there any special conditions that attach to the prescribing of the drug?
4. In particular are there any PCTs in London that allow NHS prescriptions for the drug?
5. Where can I get the answers to these questions - has anyone already been down this road?

My sibling has been prescribed the drug and my sibling is very distressed and unhappy that it has to be payed for. It is expensive. My sibling lives in SW London UK.

all info greatly appreciated, Johnscondor, 21/10/2009:confused:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi and welcome to Talking Point.

I understand that it is less to do with the PCT and more to do with the consultant. That is, if a consultant is prepared to go to bat about it, and say it's clinically necessary, and that consultant has some clout, then it is more likely to occur. Not that it's very likely, unfortunately.

Anyone with any names to share, please do it via the PM system.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Hi John

Who prescribed it? Was it the NHS GP or the NHS Consultant?

Either way, unless it was a 'private prescription' and prescribed as such, and all explained at the time, then I can't see why she has to pay for it. If the Con/GP felt it was a 'required prescription' then it should be prescribed full-stop.

I would think you'd need to ask the local PCT, as to whether it would be prescribed under the NHS.

Sorry, can't be more helpful, but I can't see why it should be paid for as if a private prescription, unless that was all explored at the time of the 'prescribing'.

robertjohnmills

Nov 16, 2008
Bexley in Kent nr London
My partner gets it free on NHS

Hi we live in North Kent, but are under the management of St Thomas & Guys NHS Trust in S.London. We were informed that NICE have not approved it but my Partner has been prescribed it by their department of Psychiatry free of charge for the last 6 months. Initially I was sceptical of the benefit but has made a very big difference to his emotional stability and concentration. It did not seem there were any specific criteria to meet.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi johnscondor,

I've attached a PDF from the Royal College of Psychiatrists website entitled: 'Implementation of the NICE guidance on donepezil, galantamine, rivastigmine and memantine for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease: Position statement by the Royal College of Psychiatrists Faculty of Old Age Psychiatry, Royal College of Psychiatrists Faculty of the Psychiatry of Learning Disability, and the British Geriatrics Society.'

which can be located directly here:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/RCPsych%20and%20BGS%20position%20statement%20NICE%20AD%20drugs.pdf

The stated aims of the paper are:

The paper aims to support clinicians in preparing to meet their duties and responsibilities as doctors while implementing this flawed guidance, and will also help healthcare organisations avoid unlawful discrimination.

It's only three pages long and makes interesting reading.

Take care,

Attachments

• RCPsych_and_BGS_position_statement_NICE_drugs.pdf
    35.5 KB · Views: 354

suzanne

Jul 25, 2006
wiltshire
ebixa

evening, my mum has been on ebixa for the last 4 years,prescribed by the Elderly mentally ill team psychiatrist on the NHS.We live in Wiltshire and are in discussions to have aricept added to the mix in the next few weeks, we have had nothing but support from the team and there has been no question of paying for these drugs,sorry to hear you are having problems. Suzy

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
In short, the NICE have recommended that Ebixa (Memantine) should not be prescribed for patients in the UK (although persons who were already receiving the drug prior to this decision continue to receive it). However, the recommendation is not an absolute ban; it is not because the drug is unsafe but because it is not "cost effective" comparative to the potential benefits.

This means that whilst clinicians can prescribe it if in their judgement it is in the best interests of their patient, they may be required to justify this to the Primary Care Trust.

In our case the consultant noted in his report on my father that if Quitiapine had not achieved the desired result then Memantine should be considered although doubt was expressed as to whether it would have any beneficial effect.

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
I get Vic's on repeat prescription from the GP been on it 18 months now. The memory service said if the GP was unable to prescribe they would be able to.

Last edited:

Derek

Jul 17, 2008
Pewsey, Wilts
We too are in Wiltshire & my wife has been on Ebixa for some time now in addition to her Reminyl. We get it on repeat prescription from the consultant. He has just doubled the dosage, but I have not noticed any difference

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Hiya

Hello, i also get it free on the NHS as well, we live in Torquay and i am only 52 but i really do think it depends on who your consultant is. Mine said she didnt care what NICE said about me being so young i was still having it, maybe i am the lucky one. Hope this helps, Norrms and family xxxx

lastday

Aug 23, 2007
no joined up thinking

good thread,my lynda has been on aricept for two years and it is helping,the first year on a private perscriction then on nhs.the consultant has now intermated that she may say it should be stopped,no mention of any replacement, i.e. the drug you mentioned or taking them together.i had complained that we had never seen a consultant only junior doctors before i complained.the first meeting with the consultant resulted in what i consider a threat to stop the aricept.this mainly resulted
because she is only 61 and the new consultant is for old age dementia,but we were told that they are lowering the age they deal with although they have no experience of it.one sise fits all

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan