Constant falls - Dad thinks he can walk.

Peapod

May 19, 2007
Pembrokeshire
Hi everyone!
First off, Dad (vascular dementia with Lewy Bodies)is in a wonderful nursing home and I can't praise the staff enough - he even has one-to-one care for 6 hours a day BUT his behaviour is generally getting worse because the poor man keeps getting up thinking he can still walk, and of course falling.
He's so frustrated - the home has tried everything to help, but of course they can't strap him into his chair/bed and the manager now thinks that he'll have to have a 'soft room' and spend a lot more time in it.
He already has a large soft mattress on the floor of his room which he sleeps on and most of the furniture has been removed for his safety.
He's a quiet sort of chap often upset by the noise other residents make, but it's awful to think of him shut in a 'padded cell' for most of the day.
There really are no solutions with this horrible illness?! :(
Anyone else been through this type of thing?

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Anyone else been through this type of thing?

I haven`t Peapod but I can imagine having to in the not too distant future.
Is it possible your dad has forgotten he can`t walk any more? My husband should be using a stick but he forgets all the time. Whenever I remind him he is grateful.

Peapod

May 19, 2007
Pembrokeshire
Thanks Grannie,
Yes, Dad has forgotten he can't walk - he's even unsteady and falls with a walking frame on the occasions it's been tried.
We gently remind him all the time not to try and walk without help, but he just doesn't understand. :(

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Peapod,

I have no answers. Just want to sympathise with you as this is another aspect of Dementia which I too may have to face in the not too distant future with my husband.

Perhaps the only comfort I can give is to say that it may be a "passing" phase..and dad may eventually forget about walking altogether.

Love xx

zoet

Feb 28, 2008
Macclesfield, Cheshire
That must be very worrying for you and I have evry sympathy. All I can suggest is that your dad has plenty of stimulation in his soft room. Also, would it be possible to perhaps take him swimming? Its a good way to get exercise, therapy and tire someone out, giving them a sense that they hve done something physically. Music such as his favourite songs and radio shows, TV and DVDs, and "background" ambience music are all good for distracting from noise coming from other clients and can be received with headphones for even more protection, could this be an option.
Spmeone to take dad out regularly for a wheelchair run to a park or supermarket often helped "wanderers" where i worked. they felt knackered after they got back and so the incidents of "get up and go" were reduced. Hip protectors are good, (and you can get similar for knees and elbows) and Ive even known of "bucket" chairs used, which arehard to get out of, although some homes see them as a form of restraint and you probably have to give permission to have one. I hope you find some sort of compromise for him; keeping active physically is tied in with being as well as you can mentally. Good luck! x

roseanna

Sep 23, 2009
Hi
This is my first time I’ve posted anything on this form my dad has vascular dementia he was first diagnose with PSP 18 months ago since then it’s been hard for us all i.e. his family just 12 weeks ago he was rushed into hospital because he was choking on his own salvia that’s when he was rediagnosed with vascular dementia. My dad is still in hospital and is doing all the things you have described in your posting.
So I know what you’re going though.
Rose

Starshine

May 19, 2009
Seaside
Hi
Poor you, know the feeling well, my poor MIL was disabled for over 25yrs in a wheelchair, this dreadful disease took hold, and she was always forgetting she couldn't walk, she would have me on the floor helping her move her legs in a temper, when we just couldn't persuade her otherwise. We often wondered just how she used to fall in the middle of the room in the night, then suddenly realised after careful watching during the day constantly, that it was because she had just got out of bed and tried to walk, even tho her wheelchair was right by her bed as always, somehow she'd get out round the wheelchair and try to walk, surprising us as she was unable to either put herself to bed or get herself up. Such a shame.
Starshine x

Peapod

May 19, 2007
Pembrokeshire
Thanks everyone for your kind words and support!
The staff at Dad's nursing home are wonderful about keeping residents stimulated and are always taking Dad out into the lovely wooded grounds and he even gets trips to the beach at least once a week in the wheelchair car, so I've no worries about actual care.
If it does come to him having a soft room then so be it - we know how involved the staff will be, and Mum and I visit 3 times a week too - poor chap could probably do with some peace! :D
Best wishes to you all,
Nicky X