Weight Loss

Lanie

Aug 31, 2008
Surrey
Can anyone advise me please?

My Mum has been losing weight since she became ill in 2008 she is now half her original body weight. Which to some may still be seen as ok as it is in the 8 stone region. In the last few weeks the weight loss has increased she has a dietician, but as nice as the lady is it isn't making any difference.

What I want to know is what will happen as I fear by christmas or just after her weight will be dangeruosly low she has lost 10lb in the last month. What do they do for for people with dementia. I have heard people talk about peg feeding but is this right thing to do my mum has already gone and as awful as it sounds would it be better just to let her go. As what would be trying to achieve.

I just want to prepare myself for what lies ahead, so if anyone has had a similar experience I really would appreciate knowing what happened. Part of me feels like this is the end but I just don't know.

Lanie

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Lanie - is she actually eating?

We have had discussion on peg feeding in the past - the general consensus is that for people who have had dementia for a long time, this isn't an appropriate intervention, although of course, your own views may differ. In fact, there aren't many doctors who would be prepared to do this under these circumstances. This is for a number of reasons, not least that the reason many people lose weight at this stage is because the body simply stops be able to metabolize the food taken in. So peg feeding would be pointless. Also, even with peg feeding, it is still possible to aspirate food into the lungs (resulting in pneumonia).

I can't say that this is what is happening with your mother, although it seems likely. My feeling is try to maintain calorie intake if at all possible, rather than worrying about the "right" foods, and you are doing the best you can do under the circumstances.

heyjude

Mar 27, 2008
Hi

I am sorry to hear of your predicament, I like you would like to know what happens as my mother in law has been taken from her home to respite because she is just a little over 6 stone.
Feeding her regular for 3 weeks has not made much difference.
Since going in to the home she has now become violent, it is most concerning.
The body must be under such stress to loose weight like this.
Surely 'peg feeding' is not the answer, but I do not know enough to say more than that.

Lanie

Aug 31, 2008
Surrey
She doesn't really eat, more plays with her food. She can become aggresive if she is encouraged to eat. She constantly tremors and is agitated alot so can't sit still, she is also suffering from constipation frequently and added to that she has osteoporosis so is horribly bent over which affect the gait and I would imagine her stomach is quite squashed.

The only thing she will eat readily is sweets but that doesn't make a difference we are giving her milkshakes, she won't have the supplement drinks not sure what else to do. She stopped eating properly as soon as she became ill with delusions adn since then has never ate properly since.

Thanks for your advice

Lanie