Advice...what happens next?

heyjude

Mar 27, 2008
My mother in law has Altzeimers, she has been looked after at home for about 18 months by a good care team, my husband and self had to step back from the situation.
She has experienced weight loss and now weighs a little over 6 stone.Her speech is almost non existant.
She has been taken in to respite care to see if they can get her to put weight on, after 3 weeks there is a slight improvement in her weight but she has become violent and the council care home are having to have a member of the rapid response team on all the time to ensure things do not get out of control.
They are having a meeting about the way forward later this week we think.
We realise she is more than likely going to remain in care now but if she is violent what sort of nursing home will take her?
Do her needs become more medical?
It feels a little hypocritical to be stepping in now but we just want to ensure the right decisions are made for her future comfort.
I realise that each PCT/ council will have differing ways of dealing with this for the record she resides in Sheffield.
Thank you in advance.

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
hi

sorry to hear what you are going through .My mum became too violent to stay in her care home although it was an EMI nursing home with a dementia unit.
She was taken to a mental health asessment unit and placed under a deprivation of liberty order.
she has now settled down mainly because she is heavily sedated most of the time .
Whilst I have a problem with this approach ,I cant ,in all honesty suggest and alternative.
When she moves into ahome again ,and its a similar type of accomodation being suggested,I guess the medication willcontinue and hopefully she will be controlled like that

heyjude

Mar 27, 2008
Thank you

Having read a bit on here since the post I suspect it will either be an EMI unit ot hospital.
Like you I do not like the idea of sedation but realise that options with this terrible disease there are few or no options.
All we can do is listen and wait for the experts to decide now.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
No sedation isn't ideal, but as you say, sometimes there isn't an alternative. I think provided a really strong effort has been made to find out if there are any triggers (anything that involves personal space -care, feeding etc are the biggies) then it can be helpful to think about it in terms of the disease causing brain damage. I mean, I know we all say "it's the disease" and understand that, but I think it can be hard to think of our parents having lost that control. For me, it was easier to think of it as a specific piece of damaged brain that was doing this - it sort of made it less emotional somehow and medication more acceptable.