Acupuncture - anyone tried it?

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
I've booked an appointment for a couple of weeks time, as I want something that will boost my immune system, energy levels, etc and I've heard some good things about acupunture. The practitioners operate from my local health centre and have all the right paperwork, and spent ages on the phone to me talking about what I am loking for and whther they thought they could help. I'm normally a sceptid but I need something! Seeing how acupunture helped the dogs on Dog Whisperer I thought it was worth a try. After all I may not have a shiny coat and a cold wet nose, but dogs do not have preconceptions! The first consultation is 90 mins and cost £18 which I though pretty reasonable. I know they say you often need regular sessions for a few weeks and then top ups occassioanlly, but it seems to me if it works it would be worth every penny and a heap more.
I would love to hear form anyone who has tried it.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I tried it to stop smoking years ago and they inserted an ear ring to twizzle when I felt like a ciggie. I was traumatised after the treatment and couldn't wait to get home for a smoke. I was twizzling and smoking at the same time:eek:

However, very recently, my friend who is on disability benefit for a very severe leg injury which occurred years ago, had regular hospital gold injections to combat the dreadful pain she endured. Recently, she underwent acupuncture and is pain free:):) She is very surprised and thrilled. She said she hasn't known what it's like to pain free for years.

YOU NEVER KNOW TIL YOU TRY;)

Love

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Hi Bristolbelle,

My sister had it for a frozen shoulder and it worked better than the physio she'd tried previously.

I tried it 27 years ago to try and stop smoking and I'll be honest and say it did actually take away the craving physically, but it didn't work because I didn't want to give up. However, it was the closest I came to giving up so it's got to be pretty impressive :D

Sounds a very reasonable cost. I say go for it!

Vonny xx

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
hello, i tried a course of acupuncture for a back problem years ago , 10 sessions on the nhs, and about the same privatley but as much aa i wanted this to elivate the problem it did not, walked home one day with a needle remaining in my leg, but 3 sessions with osteopath did the trick, but still optomistic about alternative remedies, am going for a bamboo massage on sunday , but that is for pure pleasure and relaxation and my only extravagance so do not feel guilty, acupuncture did not help me but it is proven to have helped many

calamityjane

Apr 13, 2006
I have been having treatment for the last few months since early July £35 a pop also £10 for the chinese meds i was in a right state before i went stressed up to the eye balls it has worked on that i also have swollen gums i broke a tooth which is heavily filled and was having all sorts of facial pain although the dentist didnt want to take it out he wasnt convinced the pain was from it ,whatever it was from the pain stopped after first treatment but gums are still puffy so there is something in it .I have R Arthritis but it hasnt helped that also menopasal flushes which are still giving me tropical moments 7/8 times aday so some you win some you loose i suppose if it wasnt for the hole in my pocket i would carry on, as they say it takes longer to treat long standing illness but i am giving it till Xmas then try to stop because of the cost i would say its worth trying wish i could get it for £18.

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
First session

Had my first session today and I must say I was simply amazed! There was a very long consultation about current and health history, and then I was asked to lay on the bench. The lady decided to start with a "cleansing treatment" as it is gentle introduction and gives a helpful baseline to work from as well. I had to lay on my stomach and relax. Well that wasn't too demanding. She took quite a while feeling my vertebrae, and various muscles and stuff, but it all felt quite relaxing, and then she inserted some needles. Honestly I thought she had just tapped my back to see where to put them but she had actually inserted them. I could not feel them at all, but she said when they move on to more of a "treatment" there will be more sensation. The funniest thing was my arms were just hanging over the side of the bench and I kept getting this feeling of weightlessness in my arms and they kept floating upwards. I must have looked as if I was dooing a Superman impression. After a minute or two they floated back down and then went up again lol. If I tried to resist it was quite difficult and she told me to let my body relax and go with it.
After I felt really deeply relaxed and a bit tipsy lol! I had to go to sleep when I got home so it was a good job Mum was at day care. I will let you all know how things progress but I am already looking forward to my next session next week.

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Update...

I've had my third session now, so thought it might be goiod to update you all. By far the best session so far was the first one I felt so different and relaxed almost detached from everything. However the acupunturist did expalin that cn be very common as the first treatment is a cleansing and preparing treatment that kind of clears and open the channels, and balances the "ki" etc.
The second two sessions have been somewhat similar. I am suprised how easy it is to relax, and have really enjoyed the "do nothng at all" for 30 mins aspect. In the second two sessions I had some needles taht were left in whcil I chilled and then some "in and out" ones which are quite literally that. In manipulate slightly and out. Sensations have varied, this initial insertion hs never hurt at all and usually feels like someone simply tapping the skin with one finger. once the needles are in place sensations vary from
nothing at all (the most common feeling within a few seconds of a needle going in) to a sort of heavy bruised feeling (occassional), a mildly itchy feeling (more common) or a light tingling (rare) - but of course those are MY expereinces others may have different sensations. Once or twice particulalry on the feet it can be a bit sore/painful when the manipulate the needles (they insert them then movie them, and you have to tell them when you feel it) but this is opnly for a second or two and would be well within most peoples tolerances.
So the benefits, well I THOUGHT I was sleeping ok took me about 20 mins to go off andwoke occassionally, sometimes had a bad dream. Now I'm not aware of any time that I spend trying to drop off, the dreams are amazingly relaxing and I dont want to leave them, and when I wake up I feel rested. Emotionally I seem a lot better, not getting so tearful if Mum says something hurtful or I am watching a TV programme that is a bit soft. I feel much stronger about making decisions for everyones benefit - in fact I have even discussed with hubby the fact that I MIGHT not be able to look after Mum until the end and that if her condition does deteriorate a lot we may have to consider nursing or residential care, and I have provisionally set this bench-mark at the point they wirthdraw her aricept. I seem to be able to actually acheive a lot of my targets, rather than planning them, and have made a lot of decisions about decorating the house etc. I have more energy.
I have woken this morning to discover I have another outbreak of cold sores, so obviously my immune system is not responding yet.
Of course deciding to try acupuncture was a very big decision in itself and it could be I was on the brink of a change anyway, and the acupuncture is incidental, I don't have an identical twin as a control.
I will update you all agin when I have finished the first six sessions.

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Injured shoulder

Hiya, Elaine has had many problems over the years due to an accident when one of her clients fell backwards on her badly injuring her shoulder. After many cortazone injections she found the only thing that works for her is Accupuncture and it works very well, good luck, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxx

GRH

Nov 2, 2009
East Grinstead
I have been using a Chinese doctor for the last 12 years and had many acupuncture sessions for various things such as back ache, immune booster etc.My mom also had it for her Arthritis and was fantastic

I do not use a conventional GP I only use the TCM practitioner