not for the fainthearted

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
is this pic of my mums foot I dont think this is good enough care of a lady in hospital. when I asked for her to see a chiropodist the reason for not arranging it was it would cost £25 which obviously I would have paid had I been asked for it!
I cant helpthinking social worker would have been better placed co ordinating that then being so obsessed with mums assetts to pay nh fees

Attachments

• foot1.jpg
    foot1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
That's horrible - it looks like neglect to me. I would point out to them that it would look like neglect to a lot of others also, particularly as they won't arrange for a chiropodist.

Is it possible for you to arrange for one and be there for the appointment? I believe in speaking softly but this is outrageous.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I totally agree. I think you have a minimum of two issues here - fixing it and making sure it doesn't happen again. My inclination to deal with the former is contact a private chiropodist and have her visit in the hospital. The problem I can forsee there is they may well refuse the chiropodist access. Who have you complained to so far?

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
they will arrange it but only with the £25 up front which of course Ive now taken there,she has been there 5 months and this didnt happen ovenight , im upset to think nothing was said/done before,and guilty I didnt notice but she always had her slippers on .

Really worried about the big brown lump growing off her big toe and its obviously very painful she screamed when I touch it

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
blimmin heck:eek::eek:

one of the TP members is a chiropodist I think - Hopefully they can add some professional input.

Have you made a formal complaint to PALs about this?

zoet

Feb 28, 2008
Macclesfield, Cheshire
Go through PALS. Express your compliant and show them this evidence. That is disgraceful.you can find the number for PALS on the hospitals own website under complaints.

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
I have not done anything formally yet except speak to the ward staff and their explanation was unsatisfactory as I said,

"you must have noticed it"
nurse said "yes,I noticed it when I washed her"
I said "Well,why hasnt something been done about it?"
nurse said "We can arrange for a chirpoodist but we need £25 up front"

So I gave the £25 and I have the photo , I already have made one complaint which is under investigation about mums care and her damaged leg.this happened in hospital and they didnt take her for followup appointment no explanation as to why yet.
whole thing is really awful and thats just me goodness knows how mum feels

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
That is not CARE; that is ABUSE.

That is absolutely awful, Natasha, and I can understand why you have paid the £25 to get your Mum sorted.

But chiropody is available free of charge under the NHS to people like your Mum. And to people with Diabetes. And people with a fair few more medical conditions.

Your Mum is not being treated properly.

PALS first thing tomorrow - and give them a copy of the photo with your Mum's and your details written on the back of it. And a brief letter headed "formal complaint".

PLUS a printout of as many comments as posted on this thread by the time you get to PALS. I can't imagine there will be one comment in favour of what is happening to your Mum.

It is abuse.

I feel so sorry for your Mum.

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
im upset to think nothing was said/done before,and guilty I didnt notice but she always had her slippers on .

Am thinking again and again about this - who DID put her slippers on her?? I'm guessing she didnt do that herself? Would putting shoes onto toes that bad not be assault (I bet it hurts to put them on?) What would they do if a patient had no relative to ask?

I hope you get soem answers and your mum is comfortable soon

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Natashalou

Thank goodness you took that photograph because words would not describe her predicament as well as the visual aid.

Someone is directly responsible for not having a medical person assess that brown lump which is clearly excruciatingly painful to your mum - not to mention the rest.

Thank goodness your mum has you to fight her corner and let's hope this turns out to be a happier story in the end that some of the stories we hear about on here!!

Wishing you well Natasha and hoping that your mum's poor feet heal as soon as possible.

Love

Last edited:

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Am thinking again and again about this - who DID put her slippers on her?? I'm guessing she didnt do that herself? Would putting shoes onto toes that bad not be assault (I bet it hurts to put them on?) What would they do if a patient had no relative to ask?

As ella24 said, someone must have noticed. Your Mum has been washed/or showered/or bathed (hopefully) daily over the last weeks, months while she is in hospital.

So someobody must have seen, noticed and chosen to ignore her problems.

Is not the purpose of a hospital to care for the patient? To receive a patient, to assess on arrival, to deal with the reasons for their admission to hospital, and then to monitor their condition and to treat any condition that arises after arrival in hospital?

It upsets me to think that this is allowed to be acceptable care.

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
Went to the hospital today , suddenly they dont want the £25 after all and mum has an appt with a podiatrist?? on Friday. I just hope it isnt too stressfuland painful for her

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Natasha:

This is AWFUL! At least there seem to be some red lights flashing.

(I am especially alarmed, very much for your Mum, but its also a bit near the bone for me too. !

I am so pleased you started this thread (horrid that you needed to :eek::eek:). It brings to light what our loved ones and we have to handle daily - if its not this its some'at else!!

Hope its sorted soon for you.

Love Jan

elwoodlpool

Mar 27, 2006
Derbyshire
www.myspace.com
This is happening far far to much i want something done further thats is total neglect on your mum and should not be happening at all. Ive posted the story of my mum on here too..

Hope this gets sorted out..

Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brose