Increasing fluids

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Quite by chance I hav found a way of getting my Mum to drink more (a huge worry with her). I bought some of those little bottles with the sports type tops, and she drank the whole thing in about 15 minutes. I have given her more since and also refilled them with orange squash and she seems happy to drink the equivalent of two or three a day. If anyone else is having problems withn fluid intake this mighgt help.
Mum still needs to drink at least twice as much ideally though so any other ideas wuld be great - thanks.

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Thanks for that tip Bristolbelle. Not drinking enough seems to be a perennial problem for carers and even one small bottle a day could make a difference to someone.

Vonny xx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Lionel uses a childs basic drinking cup, with a perforated lid.

However when he is in chocking mode I give him his drinks with a tea spoon. I am always at the home, and I have the time (and patience) to do this.

Mainaining fluid levels is so important.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
We have a childrens bottle/ straw

Large cup with a lid, and a large fat straw through the top.
Ron can hold it, if he drops it no spillage.

Barb X

PS
I cannot say enough about drinking fluids, get enough down your loved one as possible.
As tired as I might be, if he wants a cup of tea in the middle of the night, a cup of tea is what he gets:)

Barb X

foxhound

Jun 26, 2008
I remember reading that the body is also pretty good at absorbing fluid from food - so think soft fruit, soups, custards. Fizzy lemonade is the great favourite here!

Snip

Mar 16, 2009
And don't forget ice lollies...although maybe November isn't quite the time for them...:eek:

Love

Snip x

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba