is anyone a carer who also works for a living ?

Maya

Jul 23, 2009
I live in purgatory
I work part time and I am a primary carer for my mum. I have problems with the NHS continuing care plan because of this. I have argued for 12 hour care on days I work.

Does anyone have experience of NHS respite care and how it is provided to carers? It does not seem to work like the social services respite at all - in hours, but rather blocks. This is very rigid and unusable to me !:mad:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think you'll need to explain a bit more what you are getting. To be honest, I've never heard of NHS respite care. Are you currently getting in home NHS continuing care? If so, my understanding is that such care is always individually tailored so you may not find anyone to compare notes with.

Maya

Jul 23, 2009
I live in purgatory
It is continuing care in the home not care home.

NHS care plan giving 4 visits a day

I cant find anything that suggests they cannot provide 12 hours care on the days I work

I understand that NHS continuing care respite for carers is six weeks taken in blocks days or weeks but not hours like social services respite (14 per week).

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Hi Maya,

We had NHS CC in the home for my mum but that was 2 carers visiting 3 times a day because although I work full time I was a secondary carer and dad at 82 was obviously not in work.

My understanding was that a care plan would be put together for whatever was appropriate for the sufferer. I never heard of any blocks of time, ours was arranged for 2 carers for one hour in the morning, 2 for half an hour in the afternoon and we said we'd dispense with the evening visit because I was there with dad and we could do it ourselves. There was no suggestion of a limit but that could just have been that we didn't reach a limit to breach.

Did your SW put the plan together?

Vonny xx

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I worked full time through to the middle stages of my husband's illness. Neither of us knew what was wrong weith him and we just muddled through as best we could. He had given up work many years before as he just couldn't cope with a job. I did get lots of emergency phone calls from him and very often had to dash home at lunch time and in my free periods. This went on for a number of years but he suddenly took a great nosedive downwards and couldn't be left on his own. This happened almost overnight. Within a week I had to walk out on my job to care for him full time.

xzxTinaT

VickyH

Jun 25, 2009
Leeds
I work full time and am dads main carer. Dad attends a day centre near to us tuesday to friday, which he classes as 'wrok' for himself as they tend to do a lot of gardening at the one he goes to. It is not specifically for Dementia patients but dad has taken to it really well. Dad was coming home 2 hours before i finished work which recently became a problem. The social worker that i have took a list of hours that i needed covering in a week, which ended up being 22.5 hours, and called several different agencies to see if any could cover the times i needed. We were lucky enough to find one in just a week and a half. Do you have a social worker and could they not try the same for you? I stressed to them how difficult it was for me to find dad cover, and that even when i had i found cover i wasnt concentrating at work or sleeping as i was constantly thinking about who could cover on the next day!

Hope you can get it sorted x

Maya

Jul 23, 2009
I live in purgatory
Thanks for your responses.

I am having to fight to get the PCT to recognise that my mum should not be left alone when I am at work just because she is bed bound. To pay privately is too expensive.

They thinks its fine to leave her for hours by herself each day I am out of the house.

Social sevices are not really involved anymore as it is all NHS funding.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabream