Remembering what day it is.

helenemartin

Mar 6, 2008
stamford,lincs
Can anyone help with helping my wife with remembering what day of the week is please. Maybe a electornic calender. Looked on the net and couldn`t find anything suitably :mad:.Thanks for any help. Martin.

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi
Welcome! have you spoken to your CPN? Ours arranged to get one to us through the Red Cross. It is on loan. We find that it usually works if put somewhere prominent in mum's case next to the telly?

Julie xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Don`t buy expensive things Martin. Once your wife starts to forget, she won`t remember to look at whatever you provide.

I`m sorry to be so blunt but so much money has been wasted trying to help.

The simplest thing might be to print out the days of the week separately onto sheets of A4, big and bold, and stick one onto a kitchen cupboard door each day, or somewhere where your wife might look.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
I agree with Grannie G. Sadly there is no real solution. When someone with dementia loses their time sense, there's not much you can do. There is every chance that your wife:

Will forget to look at the calendar
Will look at it and then immediate forget what she has read
Will read the calendar and not believe it, being convinced that what her time sense is telling her is right
Will eventually lose the ability to comprehend what the calendar is telling her, and even the ability to read it

We went through this exact same problem with my father and all the "solutions" we came up with like calendars, reminder notes and so forth failed or at best worked for a month or som because of the things above. Dad would just forget to look at the calendar or wouldn;t believe what it said, being convinced he was right and the world was wrong (a recurring dementia theme). At worst it lead to rows and claims that were were using "american time" and such.

The most difficult phase was when he thought he knew what the time and day were but was wildy wrong (leading to demands for breakfast "before going to work" at midnight, etc). Eventually he totally lost all ability with time which was actually easier to manage even though it lead to far more repetitions of "what time is it" and "what day is it". Even that eventually passed because he became completely detached and no longer even had any concept of time or day and became more complaint - in that regard, anyway.

Last edited:

helenemartin

Mar 6, 2008
stamford,lincs
As you might have guessed I`m very new to all this. Helene was told the "great news" just over 2 years ok. Though in hindsight sure it was happening long before that.Thought I could cope but as the disease takes hold seems I can`t. Feel sorry for my once very bright wife. To see her where she can`t even spell is heart breaking or remember what day of the week is sometimes.I had to work yesterday only to find she was waiting for me to take her to visit friends which is not until Wed`.She like me get so angry,sure that`s not good but hard to understand where this happening to her.I could rant on,as I`m sure all the folks on here could to.Sure I shall be back on here again.ranting away :)Thanks again for listening.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Keep coming back Martin. We all know where you are. It does help to offload to people who are in similar positions and who understand.

SusanB

Jan 15, 2008
Hove
Hi Martin

I've posted before about this and bought one of these for my Mum:

www.dayclocks.co.uk

The clock sits near to her and she can see what day it is immediately. It may not work but they only cost about £25 so give it a go.

Susan

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Hello, Martin - We keep a hardbacked diary on the kitchen counter and I tick off each day with a HUGE tick just before we go up to bed. Brian looks at it several times a day and for 18 months or so it has worked very well. But this very morning it seemed he was unable to grasp that as Saturday had been ticked, it was now Sunday. This might be the beginning of the end with this particular method. It rather depends on what stage Helene has reached. Love, Nan XXX

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It rather depends on what stage Helene has reached.

That is very true Martin.

Dhiren used to look at the big calendar hung on the kitchen wall. Sometimes he would walk round the house with it.
Then came the time when he didn`t realize if perhaps the page showing the month hadn`t been turned over.
Then he forgot the calendar and began looking at the paper.
Now he does not know it might be yesterday`s paper.
And so on...............

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Martin,

I had to work yesterday only to find she was waiting for me to take her to visit friends which is not until Wed`.

How about a one of those write-on/wipe-off message boards where you could just write any appointments/happenings for that one day?

It would have to be placed somewhere fairly prominent, with no other visual distractions around it.

Take care,

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello:

I remember starting a thread on this many moons ago. At that time Norman recommended the same as Sylvia which is a good cheap idea. My own method was to have the Radio Times turned to the correct page and highlighted on the day and date. I think a diary is a good idea if your wife is competent enough to refer to it.

It did not last long - my husband just could not remember to look and even when he did he was still confused.

This is all part of the dementia route - before long it just does not matter what day it is anyway :(:(

I do feel for you Martin as your wife was obviously a very capable woman, as was my husband. I do hope you find TP useful.
Love Jan

NewKid

Mar 26, 2009
Warwickshire
Don't 'do' dates

hello, when my Mum was asked what day it was/ then what month by the CPN in her last 'mini mental', her reply was a cheerful "Oh, I don't 'do' dates"! (Then I'm afraid we both got the giggles - whoops ;) )She always asks me on the phone when I'm next coming and says "I'll write that down" - I know she doesn't... because I gave her a cheap big desk diary so people can write in when they've coming to the CH and when they've been and I'm sure I'm the only person who looks in it. (I do think diary/ calendar ticked off is a good idea though...) It's another difficult one to come to terms with and hope some of the replies/ empathy with your worries are helping even a little bit. Take care.