Waterproof Mattress Protectors??!!

VickyH

Jun 25, 2009
Leeds
I have noticed recently that dad only seems to be going to the toilet when he is desperate. So with the though in mind that its better to be safe than sorry i have decided a waterproof mattress protecor would be a handy thing to invest in.

I would prefer if dad didnt notice that i had bought it to save him embarrassment, but any experience i have had with them has been an uncomfortable, noisy and crinkley one! Does anyone have any advice on which type to buy and where would be best to get it from?

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Hi Vicky

I bought some for David a few months ago from a shop called T J Hughes - don't know if you have one near you.

They were very reasonable and look just like a normal fitted mattress cover but with a waterproof lining. Still a little bit crackly but not as bad as some I've seen. Only problem I find is that you can't dry them in a drier afer washing.

Hope this helps...

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
The ones I had for Lionel had a towelling top and ruberised underneath. Certainly not crackly at all.

The local well known catalogue shop (Argos) had them at one time.....not sure if they still do this range.

I am sure that someone will still do them.....maybe try Google for suppliers.

terry999

Mar 27, 2008
london
I bought cheap ones on teh internet - they were cheap and fell apart.

Actually mum had one already hidden in the draws somewhere, it was as connie described and it could be washed at high temperature. It was a john lewis one.

You need 2 really - so can wash one.

I would say its to combat dust mites that cause asthma, breathing problems..

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
Yes, I bought a couple from John Lewis - you can order online too! They are the best I've found, washable and don't make that crinkly noise. Quite expensive, but worth it.
Regards, Gill x

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Waterproof Mattress Protectors

Hi VickyH
I bought some lovely ones they are a HIS product and is Wateproof, machine Washable, Non-allergic Extra comfort and support, Water Repellant cover, which you can machine wash and tumble dry on low heat, it is lovely. I think I purchased mine from Amazon, but cannot find the invoice. Is it a double or single you are looking for? I do have one brand new one never opened I would sell you cheap if that is allowed on this site.It is a double and the size is 54"x75"+9". If you send me a personal mail I will give you my details if you are interested, but if you would rather then have a look at the internet for HIS products I can highly recommend them.
Best wishes

VickyH

Jun 25, 2009
Leeds
Someone at work is bringing me something called a Kylie in tomorrow, which is like a waterproof strip that can be put across the middle and suposedly soft. I will give that a try but concerned it may be more apparant if dad finds it! Think im going to have to climb in and have a wriggle test with whatever i use! :)

I will buy a full matress protector as well though, as terry said, one to use whilst the other is washing!

Winnie - Dad has a double bed but i've found that his double fitted sheets dont fit as the matress is quite deep. Ill try measure the side if i remember tonight and get back to you tomorrow as id be interested in buying it if it will fit.

Thank you all for your replies! x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
While we`re talking about protection, can anyopne recommend a waterproof Duvet cover that doesn`t crackle.
I had one but had to throw it out as it was like having tissue paper under tha quilt.

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
That is more difficult Sylvia, I must have tried them all and never found one, they all crackle and the duvet gets lost in the bottom or top, but they are sometimes a necessity unfortunately and I think you notice more than your cared for.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Vicky....

M&S do a wonderful waterproof mattress protector..you'd never know it was waterproof.

I have one still in it's wrapping..unused..it's for a double bed but Eric is now in a hospital bed here at home. If you want to PM me I'll post it on to you..you're very welcome to it!

We have Kylies for Eric's hospital bed..and they are obvious!

Love xx

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
I've been searching for a non crackling duvet cover protector etc. The incontenience issue is an absolute nightmare now. I got some protectors from a shop here but even dad in his alz state wants to know what the noise is. I feel sorry for him rattling around but more sorry for myself and the state I have to face every morning!
I am getting sheets delivered from the hospital at £3 a week but they are only giving me 7 per week and it would be better if I could put one under and one between him and the duvet cover as it has to be washed each day too as the waterproof protector is too uncomfortable to sleep in. This is just a nightmare all of this. I didn't have it with mum, I didn't know I was living with her Alzheimer's!

MJK

Oct 22, 2004
The ones I had for Lionel had a towelling top and ruberised underneath. Certainly not crackly at all.
QUOTE]

Dunelm sell these (I have them for the kids). They're very good -I'll happily sleep on one!

stikwik

Oct 31, 2007
Nottingham
i remember seeing some sheets on either qvc or ideal world (tv shopping) that genuinely seemed amazing - soft normal sheets but they poured water on and it really didn't go through - i couldn't believe my eyes, but of course never thought about needing them til now. it must've been at least a year ago but you could try searching their websites to see what they have (no names sorry).

VickyH

Jun 25, 2009
Leeds
Im still a slight newbie to this site and not quite sure how I PM somebody. Could someone direct me and ill do some practicing when i get back into work tomorrow??!!

Thank you x x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Click on Quick Links at the top of the page Vicky on the Green Bar. There will be a drop down box. Scroll down to Private Messages, Click and there you go. :)
Make sure you have the correct User Name.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
You click on the person's name above one of their posts. Then a pop up menu comes up and the 3rd line down says "Send a private message to xxxx" - click on that and go from there.

speny

Mar 16, 2009
waterproof mattress

Hi I use Kylie bed covers for my husband and have found them to be very good. The ones I use are quilted on top and plastic on the bottom and they do not crackle. But one word of warning do not put them in the washing machine as I did and it broke the machine. So I wash them by hand and then hang them up to dry(I find they dry fairly quickly)
Sue

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
Hi Vicky,
To send a PM to someone, just click on their name and a list appears. Go down to 'Send a Private Message' and click on that.
Then you will see the boxes to type in your message and 'SUBMIT MESSAGE' at the end will sent it for you.

To read your own PMs it will show in the top right hand corner of your screen where it says Private Messages: Unread 0 OR if you have received a message it will have a number according to the number of PMs which are waiting to be read.
Click on Private Messages and it will take you to them.
Best Wishes, Gill x

Sorry - I always seem to use twice as many words as everyone else to say the same thing!!!x