Why are people so scared of the word Dementia??

Cilla

Sep 16, 2009
Devon
Yes, I guess when my Dad was diagnosed 4 years ago I was too. But I'm still here, unlike my 2 brothers and their wives and 6 children and Dad's friends. I'm here after all the name calling, the insults and the constant cleaning up after him when he's decided to wee somewhere he's not meant to.
Gosh, I'm tired and feel so alone, but I'm still here.
As you have guessed, I'm having a really bad day. I'm full of a cold, cough and have a temperature. But still I can hear my Dad's voice 10 years ago when my son was born, " Life is like a rubber ball, it has its ups, it has its falls". I wish that Dad was here with me today - but sadly the Dad I have now is not a man I recognise anymore. Not the man that use to paint, walk his dogs, write poetry and love his family so very much. The Devil of Dementia has stolen my beloved Dad.

VickyH

Jun 25, 2009
Leeds
Im so sorry that you have to go through this. Dementia is a horrible disease and unfortunatley people do tend to run when they encounter it! All i can say is that your dad is lucky to have you and its such a shame that the rest of his family and friends have abandoned him and you in your time of need.

I do hope you get well soon and that something gets better for you x x

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi Cilla

I think the word dementia is something that frightens many people. However I think people get frightened for various reasons, and a lot of this is down to the lack of education about what the word means.

I do think that many older people remember the dark days, which are now over thank goodness, where it was thought that the person was going mad and they were put into an institution.

This is where the stigma came from, but now we are seeing that back of that, too which is not a bad thing.

However I now hope that through the New National Dementia Strategy, we will see people being given better training so that they can understand the illness, along with more education for the General Public, who at the end of the day do not understand it as many have never come across it at home.

Having said that Dementia causes a lot of distress to Carers along with other family members, when there loved ones get this horrible illness, and these are the genuine people who fear it because they understand the damage it can cause, and there fear is not through ignorance..

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hi Cilla,

What a brave, strong lady you must be to be facing this without the support of your brothers. Yes, people shy away from all sorts of illnesses and we are not supposed to criticise them, but being personal, I think they are just wimps, and I don't have much time for them. I would rather give time to all the carers on this site who are trying hard to do their best for their relatives, and often doing a lot better than I would.

I admire you all.

Margaret

NewKid

Mar 26, 2009
Warwickshire
Not the man that use to paint, walk his dogs, write poetry and love his family so very much. The Devil of Dementia has stolen my beloved Dad.

You sound very lonely for the dad you had and let down by others. It's a well recognised feeling here, and I just send you love and luck for dealing with it again tomorrow. Take care.

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Hi Cilla and welcome to TP,

Sorry you have had a bad day and I hope tomorrow is much better for you. I hope that you recover from your cold soon.

Dementia certainly is a miserable disease and your dad is fortunate that you stand by him. I think KenC made some valid points in his post.

My brother couldn't cope at all with my mum. It is hard and very lonely going it alone and you're still there, so that says alot about you.

Take Care,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarydew