Stair climber not suitable for trev

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Well just feel like i have failed my driving test. have had 2 hours tuition oh handling stair walker, it is a wonderfull piece of equipment and i did manage to get trev up stairs, but he felt very unsafe and was grabbing out at wall and rails, taking his feet of rail and we could not manouver it through one door way. i think i could have percevered and become confident with it and reassured trev, but ot assesser was not happy for trevs safety and was concerned for my back, she wants us to have a through the floor lift as trev cannot control a stair lift by himself. even if one could be fitted to our curving stairs, the only problem is that it is a grade 2 listed property and we would not be allowed to remove any of the victorian cornises or mouldings, and if tampered with , i can just see the whole ceiling caving in, but this is the route they wish to take so will just have to see, raising chair and hoist did not arrive, she said she had had to state our need for this again to her supervisor and they have agreed this time.will keep you updated it may apply to others with same mobility probs pam

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Hiya

Sorry to hear about the stairlift my friend, hope they can sort something out for you really soon, thinking about you both, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxx

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Nell

Why don't they listen,

My Dad, unable to walk was sent home, we were told the commode would follow in about two weeks..

Wish you luck with the lift.

foxhound

Jun 26, 2008
First, don't feel bad about not mastering the stair walker. They SOUND a brilliant bit of kit, but I tried one out and found it an utter pig to use (and I have done loads of playing around with engine cranes, machinery lifts, off-road forklifts and the like!)

Second, Grade 2 listing shouldn't stop you from chopping around the internals of a house (I am pretty sure).

Third, I fail to see why you can't use a stairlift on a keyed lock (they all have them), so it can only operate while you are
with Trev. The curved ones cost a fair bit more than the straight, but don't forget to bargain hard (60% off the sticker price in my case).

Fourth, if the OT is dead set on a thru lift (which will take forever, I bet) it is not difficult to brace and strut a house to take them - but I think she is being over-cautious. The only advantage woudl be if Trev becomes totally wheelchair bound (but I think you may be able to get stairlifts which allow a chair to be clipped on, so that would take care of that).

Bon courage (as the Frogs have it.)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Pam

There is so much for you to put in place for trev and it seems no one has any sence of urgency.
What do you do in the meantime while you are awaiting all these decisions?
Love xx

Last edited:

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Pam

It sounds like you have had a very busy, stressful morning and I now hope that you will have time to recover. It is good to know that you would be supported in having these adaptations to your home to enable Trev to remain at home:)

It's a good job you do yoga Pam;)

Love

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Thanks foxhound i do not feel so incapable now, and thanks for info about internal changes to grade 2, i had been told we could not change interior with out permission which can take forever to obtain, the ot lady said because someone who had no thought process had been injured with a chairlift they would not authorise it, am sure she is doing her best for trev and i and she thinks this is best solution longterm, Trev is incapable of standing walking or carrying out any movement unaided so she might be right, just hope trev and i can cope with all the upheavel this will cause.Wonder if it would make sensce to rent somewhere allready converted for a while to see how we manage before doing any drastic alterations. thanks for taking the time to reassure me my driving skills are not abissmal thanks pam

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Forgive me, but would it not be easier to make adaptions so that he could simply remain downstairs? I mean to say, you can even get disabled bathroom pods that can essentially be put anywhere they can run water and a drain to (these are the sort of things that many inns have put in their rooms to make the "en suite". Obvious the chair lift would be quicker to put in, but I don't think a through the floor lift would be.

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Thanks Jennifer but all the pods i have looked at you have a small step up which would make getting a wheelchair in very difficult if not impossible, a wet room only solution but i have used one on a disabled holiday and the results where not very satisfactory, the feaces was not contained in a tray so sprayed everywhere so i was covered also, would need to wear a wet suit next time i think, any more suggestions gratfully recieved, thanks pam

foxhound

Jun 26, 2008
In my humble, the OT is being a d***ed, belt-and-braces equipped jobsworth! People get injured on stairs the whole time despite having fully (or relatively) intact thought processes!

Jenniferpa - I agree that converting downstairs would be a lot quicker, but I considered this for my ma and felt that a bed downstairs might be rather scary and would lose the familiar and comforting feel of a long-established bedroom. Moot point, I agree.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Ah I see. What about a ramp for the step?

We also had a curved stair lift. The only problem is if it gets to the point that he couldn't get into (or our of it) with out someone right there, you'd need 2 people - one at the bottom to put him in and one at the top to help him out. What I'm trying to say is that there generally is insufficient room (although this will obviously vary with the width of the stairs) for someone to "pass" the chair lift. If you have especially wide stairs, though, I don't see why that wouldn't work.

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
Hiya

stair walker, it is a wonderfull piece of equipment and i did manage to get trev up stairs, but he felt very unsafe and was grabbing out at wall and rails, taking his feet of rail and we could not manouver it through one door way. i think i could have percevered and become confident with it and reassured trev, but ot assesser was not happy for trevs safety and was concerned for my back, she wants us to have a through the floor lift as trev cannot control a stair lift by himself. even if one could be fitted to our curving stairs, the only problem is that it is a grade 2 listed property and we would not be allowed to remove any of the victorian cornises or mouldings,

Under DDA (disability discrimination Act) legislation - even if you live in a listed property you will be allowed to alter to allow access for a disabled person - but you may have to make allowances to put it back to its original condition in the future.... (for example that might mean putting the bits you take out into store)

A through floor lift will be a right B***** to put in - and not many houses would have the space outide it (from memory I think you need minimum 1200mm (4ft or so) clear space outside the lift door to get the wheelchair etc out)

The structure to support it would come as a prefabricated kit and measured to suit your house so you should be ok structurally if that is what you want to do.

I agree with Jennifer that a downstairs facility may be best - you can get these (loads of different ones also http://www.saniflo.co.uk/SANIPLUS.aspx) to put in a proper outlet for the loo and shower to the sewerage pipe - I've seen an understairs cupboard converted really well with these...

this walkin shower pod looks all one level too - never used them but it gives a good idea http://www.walkermodular.com/mini.html

hope this helps (btw I work in property and construction!)

e

Last edited:

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Jennifer belive me i have had my thinking cap on for days, if we have a ramp up into the shower we would require a ramp down into tray base, sure there must be a solution , i just cannot come up with it, son thought of ramp and putting thick sheet ofperspex with holes in on top of existing shower base, might be worth a try, can do away with sink and toilet in shower room to give room to maneovere just not sure it would meet health and safety requirements thanks pam

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
Ah, see what you mean about the shower tray , althoughy the pod I linked to would work - try asking to see if your builder (or DIY type store) can get a tray manufactured in something like Corian (like for kitchen worktops) - they can custom make to suit....

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
We also had a curved stair lift. The only problem is if it gets to the point that he couldn't get into (or our of it) with out someone right there, you'd need 2 people - one at the bottom to put him in and one at the top to help him out. What I'm trying to say is that there generally is insufficient room (although this will obviously vary with the width of the stairs) for someone to "pass" the chair lift. If you have especially wide stairs, though, I don't see why that wouldn't work.

We have a curved stair and a stair lift for my mum. She never operates it by herself and it has a key to lock it when not in use. I help her in at the bottom and then follow her up. When she arrives I am able to swing the seat round to fact the front and that gives me room to pass and help her out at the top. We were very lucky and got a full grant for this (£5000 - 2 years ago) because mum receives something like 75 pence pension credit. It seems not matter how little someone receives in pension credit as long as they get something then they are entitled to the grant. Our argument to begin with was that they wouldn't put one in because there are stairs up to our front garden. It seems that this indicates that if someone can use these they don't need stairlift inside. Eventually persuaded them that mum never uses these and we bring car right up drive at back of house. Good luck. Izzy x

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan