falling out of bed

sooty

Feb 17, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Its been over a year since I was a talking point and I guess it was because I had been in the UK sold the house and moved Mom to a better home and everything was settled and although she was getting much worse I felt things were the best they could be and her home was just right for her . Now my question . In April I rushed over because she had had a very bad fall out of her bed requiring many stitiches then got a lung infection and was clsoe to dying. She was placed on a low rise bed and watched then back to the home with a new low bed adn careful monitoring and I asked for a something put on the bed to keep her in. Because the home is classed as residential they are not allowed to have any restraints. The low rise bed and extra checks seemed to work for a while and her checks by carers were every hour at night or more. She cannot stand now or walk onher own and sleeps most of the day though her carers get her awake to get her to move her limbs in the day and get her up in a chair . At night it is a different story. She is restless and the falls in the last 6 weeks have started again with bruising/black eyes/grazing. She has no idea what has happened and my phone calls to her do not make any sense now as her memory has gone. The home is excellent stepped up checks etc and have now put mattresses all over her room. I think alone she is trying to get up or something and goes down right away or is crawling around/rolling around. Seditives they say will only make her more groggy in the day. They do not want that and it is not recommended. A restraint could be dangerous. I know someone cannot be there all the time in the night and wonder if other Talking Point users have had this problem. Its so good to talk again. My fear is that they will suggest a return to a clinical nursing facility if she continues ot hurt herself this way. i do not want this as they love her where she is and she is and try to do everything they can for her. Sooty

foxhound

Jun 26, 2008
My mother went through a phase of trying to get up when sleepy/agitated and had a few falls out of bed, although not much damage done. The only time she had a bed rail (in hospital) she vaulted clean over it and crashed to the floor (although again no harm done!!!)

I do wonder whether a night time sleeping pill might not be a bad idea - modern ones wear off quite quickly and wouldn't neccesarily increase day time grogginess. Certainly worth getting an opinion from the GP and perhaps giving it a shot.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Jan had a major problem with falling and for some time had to have a room padded on the floor and up the walls as she was in constant danger of damaging herself.

Eventually we found a fantastic bed that has assured her of safe sleep for the past 5 years.

I was really shocked when I first saw it, but quickly realised it was my sensitivities that were involved, not Jan's safety. The care home bought it immediately and it has been fantastic.

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showpost.php?p=223376&postcount=2

Jan was not in a position to try and climb out, but no other form of safety guard would have worked.

sooty

Feb 17, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
special bed

Thanks for the picture of the bed Brucie. It certainly shocked me for a moment . I see what you mean but it would be a great bed for Mom instead of padding her room. It would break my heart to see her in it though even though I know it would work. My my how far she gone from the Mom I knew. I will send the picture tobthe home to see what they think. Thank you again and I think I will also call her GP over there. Sooty

foxhound

Jun 26, 2008
An impressive bit of kit, and I quite see your point Bruce. I'm sure there will be a good reason why not, but could one make it look more "normal" and inviting by lining 3 sides with a really lovely fabric - sort of four poster idea? Perhaps a sort of crewel-work for winter and and muslin for summer - World of Interiors meets TP!!

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
The bed is lined along the sides inside with special padding.

After so many years, I'm at ease with the bed - it has been brilliant in protecting my wife.

I agree though, there are ways it could be creatively decorated.:)