Mum is very sleepy

botanico

Dec 4, 2007
My mum has had Vasc. Dem. for at least five years and her condition has gradually deteriorated but for about the last six months she has been very sleepy. They have been reducing her medication to try and alleviate this and they explained to me that the medication is probaby the reason for the sleeping. When I asked why after all this time the medication would be having this effect they said she didn't need so much and as a result the doses she was on caused the sleepiness. It's not that I don't believe this explanation but I have also wondered if is the condition that causes the sleepiness and was wondering if anyone else had experienced this with their loved ones?

Thanks

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Hi botanico,

My mum had (in my opinion) mixed Vascular and Alzheimer's and she went through a few very sleepy stages. In her case medication wasn't thought to be the cause, just phases she was going through but she wasn't on dementia medication as she was too far along the road when it was officially diagnosed.

I know there are others here whose loved ones are also sleepy. I hope your mum starts perking up soon.

Vonny xx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
I know just how hard it is to watch those you love just 'sleep'.

I think part of this is a defence mechanism, as they fall deeper into the dementia world.

I think that it can be 'healing' in its own way. I know that Lionel can sleep for 18 out of 24 hours, and has done for the past year.............just my thoughts of course.

geum123

May 20, 2009
Hi botanico,
My dad has vascular dementia too, and sleeps a lot.
I was concerned that maybe he was sedated,
but apparently, I have been told, that it is part of his condition.
It does seem to go in cycles.
A few days awake, then 1 day in bed asleep.
Though for the last few weeks when I have visited, he has been asleep in a wheel chair in the lounge.
It looks terribly uncomfortable, and he hardly knows I am there.
regards,
Geum.

Willowgill

Mar 29, 2008
South Yorkshire
My mum also seems to spend a great deal of time asleep these days - today we took her for a walk in her wheelchair and stopped at the pub for a drink outside as it was such a beautiful day - she fell asleep with the glass in her hand :(

botanico

Dec 4, 2007
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply, it helps when others can relate to an experience because this illness is such a confusing one. I can't explain why it has been bothering me because mum looks very peaceful when she is asleep but I guess I get a little frightened when these changes occur.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother has gone through several sleepy stages. Some were due to the meds and some were a combination of the meds and the progress of the disease. When the disease progressed the last time & made her sleep thorugh everything, we cut back until she was awake and alert.

Medications that at one point keep the person on an even emotional keel can become far too much as the disease moves along. They are quite right in reducing the meds for your mum, in my opinion.

Tarika

Jul 26, 2008
Dear Botanico
My mother became very sleepy in June. I thought it was the course of the disease (she has vascular dementia). It got to the point where it was hard to wake her up. It was also during the very hot weather. I also queried whether she was having a reaction to the Quetiapine she takes. However, I got a call one afternoon from the NH to say she had been unresponsive for half an hour and they had called an ambulance.
Her heart rate was 40 and she was very dehydrated. It turned out that one of her medications, Digoxin, which she takes for Atrial Fibrillation was depressing her heart rate quite acutely so they took her off it, rehydrated her and sent her back to the NH. Since then she's been much more alert and has regained her appetite.
So, I would ask for a review of all her medications just to make sure that nothing is having an effect. I would never have thought that one medication could make so much difference.
Love Tarika

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet