Update on Dad - Picks disease...

makalu

Nov 2, 2008
West Sussex
Hi everyone, I thought i would update you all, i have had a mad year so far and not had a chance to post for ages. My dad has moved into a nursing home in Haslemere, some of u may remember me starting to post from Oct, when dad was taken onto the assessment unit, it was a crazy downhill spiralling out of control - it was a difficult transition he had to go to the onsite challenging behaviour unit for 1 month as was uncontrollable after the initial move, but has now been downgraded and is in a lesser challening unit.
My mums been really unwell and and in hospital for quite a while, having lost 3 stone grieving and her whole immune system has packed in. she is now a different person after ongoing treatment, so much better and healthier than i have seen her for years.
Dad is ok, in his own world pretty settled i suppose. When people ask me how he is, all i can say is he's ok, hes healthly physically, put weight on, but no-ones home. His feeding habits are insane. He is ravenous all the time and whenever i visit he rummages through my bag to find biscuits etc. He takes food from Isabella (now 13 months old!) and hides it in his pockets. out of my and mum i would say i have the best relationship with him, he usually knows me. his diabetes is still eratic.
Mum however, usually gets ignored and find it hard. He is manic. wants to walk and walk. Luckily the grounds are enormous and we can march around the gardens for hours if needbe. Im so sad. i see my friends and their parents are just settling into retirement and enjoying each other. I cant change whats happened, i can just enjoy the time i have left and make sure that my little girl knows her grandad.
Now mum is feeling better she will see dad more i hope, although she finds him very difficult to handle. he often verges on aggressive, snatching, raising his hand and shouting at me. i can usually bring him round by talking to him in a positive way, explaining why i want him to do the things i ask, like walk this way, dont pee in the corridor dad because the toilet is here etc. and not letting his behaviour unsettle me. Although sometimes i just go into meltdown. After i have left him.
I have to say that it is heartbreaking to see not just my dad but many others parents and family not being about to fend for themselves. My life is in perspective now and i know which way i am going. If any of you need a little direction and help, google The Serentiy Prayer, dad swore by it and now I do. It makes so much sense. im not religious but the words are awesome.

I promise to keep in touch. love to you all and thanks for your ongoing support. NICKY

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Hi Nicky,

Seems to me you are handling your dad really well. Excellent news about the large gardens, goodness knows what he's be like without having them to walk around in. It must be hard for your mum being ignored. Even though we are not meant to take these things personally, it still hurts. It's funny and sad to hear of your dad taking food from Isabella, it paints a moving picture.

Thanks for pointing us in the direction of The Serenity Prayer. I will google it in a mo as I need all the serenity I can get!

Take care

Vonny xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Nicky

It was so good to read your update. It sounds like so much has happened and it seems you are doing so well with coping and managing all the changes. It was really good to read that your mum received the help that she required:)

I particularly like Celine Dion singing the serenity prayer. You might find it on You Tube?

Wishing you and your loved ones well.

Love

makalu

Nov 2, 2008
West Sussex
thanks......

Thanks For your kind words girls, I will have to check out You Tube.

going to see pops tomorrow, miss him terribly. Going to meet an old school friend too havent seen her for 20 years, she doesnt know about my dad so we will have a lot to catch up on.

Love to you all and keep in touch.

makalu

Nov 2, 2008
West Sussex
Old times..

Had fun with my old school friend the other day, told her all about dad and she was so upset. It really is a harrowing sorrowful story. Her parents are enjoying life in their 60s living in Spain, I was so jealous.
A friends husband died last week age 49 totally out of the blue.
At the funeral i kept imagining it was dad in the box, and made myself even more upset thinking about that. How selfish. I feel so sorry for my friend her soul mate has gone so suddenly. Shes been a rock to me throughout all this, her dad and stepdad both suffered from dementias in their late 60's having passed some 5 years ago. Whats worse?
Lifes so cruel, but I have my little girl to keep me smiling. Up and down like a rollercoaster. Makes me want to enjoy life to the full, its great having friends and sometimes it doesnt matter how long ago since youve seen them, you still get along. Thats the good things in life. Its so good to talk isnt it!

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Lifes so cruel, but I have my little girl to keep me smiling. Up and down like a rollercoaster. Makes me want to enjoy life to the full, its great having friends and sometimes it doesnt matter how long ago since youve seen them, you still get along. Thats the good things in life. Its so good to talk isnt it!

Hi Makalu,

Rollercoaster is right! Yes, we have to hang onto the good things in life and friends can make all the difference as can children. Enjoy what you can Makalu, and try to store up those good times for when you are feeling down.

Vonny xx

jc141265

Sep 16, 2005
Australia
Hi Nicky,

Your description of your Dad and his behaviours sounds exactly like my own Dad's behaviours though I think he's a few years further along than your own. The manic walking, the yelling and raising his hands, but yet responding well to calm positive talk, the eating everything in site. Makes me think once more that Dad's original diagnosis of early onset alzheimers was wrong and as we suspect he has instead frontotemporal dementia/picks disease. Your relationship with your Dad sounds similar to mine with my Dad too.

So if everything else is similar, I thought that perhaps something else might be similar and so just posting to let you know that mum and dad's relationship has healed in the last few years, as Dad has become more mellow and Mum had time to recuperate from the very tough years.

Best wishes,

makalu

Nov 2, 2008
West Sussex
I do hope that he does. He seems to be slipping away as every day passes more and more into his own world. Its very hard to get him to notice me or show an emotion. Today i said to him i want to see him laugh and joke and react to me and my little girl. But he doesnt. Its so tough, and he keeps saying he will be dead in six months as well. Thats so awful to hear. I am glad to hear that your mum is getting some relief after all though, and that your father is relaxed in his life. That is so re-assuring. All the best to you all in Oz.