New Here

SHic

Sep 1, 2009
Bucks
Hi everyone

This is my first post here and I am just really looking for somewhere to blurt everything out... I hope that's ok?

My Father was dianosed with vascular dementia a couple of years ago after about 3 years of tests showing apparently no signs of dementia (although as a family we reported depression, memory loss, general loss of interest in everything to the GP). After a steady decline over the last couple of years, there has been a very big change over the last 6 months. My Father is 74 and my Mother who cares for him is 71. My Dad has become increasingly verbally and more recently physically aggressive with my Mum. He has threatened her with a poker, pushed and shoved her, threatened her with a knife and various other distressing threats. He is convinced that she is sleeping with pretty much any man that they come into contact with (including their GP of 25 years who visited the house. He uses very abusive language about the way she dresses (apparently provocatively)and he cannot bear for her to be out of his sight. He tells her he hates her and he accuses her of stealing all his money. He tells me he wants to leave her and that she has been stopping him going to see his mother (who died 20 years ago). He is convinced that she is trying to poison him and so he has stopped eating the food she has given him and my Mum has noticed that he has occasionally pretended to take his medication but has actually palmed it! (only found out because he left it on the side of the sink)he did actually pretend to put it in his mouth and swallow. He talks to me about how she is an evil woman who wants to slit his throat when his back is turned. I try to tell him that she loves him and cares for him, but he tells me I don't know her the way he does and that she is a sly person.... On rare occasions of lucidity he tells me how fantastic she is and that he would never hurt her. I have told my Mum that I think it is time for a mental assessment but my Mum is very frightened of having him sectioned as she thinks he will never come out. He has taken Quetiapine and aricept and carbamazapine to absolutely no effect - he has frequent TIA's accompanied by shaking (possible fits according to the stroke consultant. Everything seems to be getting worse and worse and each time a new drug is perscribed we are waiting for his aggression to get better - with no good result. I am sorry this is so long - when I started to type, there was so much to say. I know that no one can give me any answers but we feel so helpless with all this going on. I have my own family with 3 young children and a business and I feel that I am not doing enough to help my Mum and Dad - or really more like I don't know how much I should be doing as nothing seems to be enough. My sister and brother feel the same. If you have read all the way to the end of this - Thank you!

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Hi and a warm welcome to Talking Point.

Personally I feel that where aggression and potential violence at concerned, the main effort should be to keep the carer safe. On those grounds I would have no hesitation in trying to get your dad sectioned if it was me.

There is medication available which can curb the aggression and it sounds like your dad is in dire need of an urgent review of his case. Sectioning holds someone for up to 28 days, during which time your mother can gather her thoughts and energies, your dad can be properly assessed and you can all take some breathing space.

I would phone the Social Worker on Monday and if your mum seems to be under threat in the meantime, please call the police.

No one should have to suffer what your mum is going through, even though it is the disease and not your dad which is causing the problem.

Best of luck and please let us know how things progress.

Vonny xx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi and welcome to Talking Point.

Firstly, that wasn't such a long post - some of us have started off here with much longer ones. :)

I don't whether it's a consolation or just depressing that none of what you say is unique to your father. Not everyone has to deal with all of those things (although some do), but this kind of thing is not uncommon.

I think the first order of business (and this might be difficult) is to get your mother to accept that assessment may not necessarily be a bad thing. True, such a procedure may result in an assessment that he needs full time care, but for some people, such an assessment has produce a medication regimen that has allowed the person to return home.

We all know such violent outburst are the result of the disease, but the reality is, the next one could go too far. Does she have somewhere safe in the house where she can go? A room with a strong door and lock and a mobile phone should he attack her again? I can't stress how important it is for her to be able to get away from this - no one should have to live with this, even if it's not his fault. I think your most difficult task is going to be to persuade her that this is now the time for her to seek the help that should be available to her. I understand that she feels loyalty and love towards him, but you may have to be blunt with her and point out that you and her grandchildren need her as well, and if he kills her, not only will you not have her, you'll have to deal with his care as well. Sometimes, people will do things for their family when they won't do it for themselves.

Take care

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello SHic

As has already been said, these massive mood swings including outbreaks of physical and verbal violence are quite common in people with Vascular Dementia.

My husband has Alzheimers but was verbally aggressive. We did suffer one episode of physical violence and he went into an assessment unit for observation. He was persuaded to go as a voluntary patient because I said I was not prepared to live in fear, and insisted he got treatment.

The assessment caused a change in medication and because of his behaviour we were and still are supported by a CPN [Community Psychiatric Nurse] He is a regular visitor now and monitors my husband, reporting back to the consultant of any concerns.

My husband`s physical health and stamina have deteriorated and now there is less likelihood of violence. But I have a bolt on the bedroom door, just in case of any crisis. My handbag is always in the bedroom and we have a phone in the bedroom.

Your mother is at risk. This does not mean your father intends to hurt her, and indeed if he did, he would probably be contrite. Your father needs an assessment and observation in both their best interests.

milly123

Mar 15, 2009
England
hi shic welcome to tp i agree with what the others say you must try to get your mother to see reason and get your dad assesed i have just gone through the same thing my husband got very aggresive the dr and family had to persuade me to let him go your mum must be feeling terribly tiered and upset at the change in him for mums sake and your dads please try to get something done before its to late milly

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi SHic, welcome to TP, sadly your story is not uncommon. My Mum also went through a phase of violent behaviour patterns, something that she would never have done if not for the Alzheimers, she was always a very calm person. She was a admitted to hospital for assesment and a drug regime established whilst she was an in patient. I have to be honest and say it was a frightening time for us (Dad and I), but if it had not been for that stay in hospital, Dad would not have been able to keep her at home with him for a further ten months. She has now been in nursing care for two and a half years. Thinking of you and hoping you can persuade your Mum that some action and medical support is needed sooner rather than later.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hi SHic

Other people have given sound advice. Just to say, here on TP we do not mind how long your post is, how emotional, how hard to undderstand, we will all do our best to respond. So keep asking questions.

Love

Margaret

SHic

Sep 1, 2009
Bucks
We have made a decision

Thank you all for your kind advice - it helped me make a decision. My Father is being taken into hospital tomorrow under a section. I am dreading it as it will be very distressing for both my parents, they have spent only a handful of nights apart in 49years. I am not sure what happens from here so for now it is just one day at a time. I feel sick with worrying about it.

Thanks again.
Sam

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Sam

I can imagine how you are feeling tonight and I don't suppose it is going to be easy going through this but it does really seem necessary. Hopefully your father can be stabilised through suitable medication and I admire you for giving him this opportunity. There seem to be quite a few people on Talking Point who are being separated from their loved ones either permanently or temporarily and I wonder whether your mum might find the contact with Talking Point a comfort during this terribly stressful time?

Love
Wishing you all well.

Scottie45

Jan 25, 2009
CoAntrim
Hi Sam

Just want to wish you well for tomorrow,and i hope your father gets the help he needs and that your mum gets a rest take care Marian xx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Dear Sam

You are going to feel sick with worry, not just for your father but also your mother. All I can really say, though, is at least both of them will be safe, and your father, at least will have an opportunity to be stabilized. Now it may not work, but that won't be anyone's fault, just the way this disease works sometimes. You and your mother have taken a very brave step, and we will be rooting for all of you.

Take care

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Dear Sam,

"One day at a time" is the motto of anyone dealing with dementia. I'd like to echo Jennifer's words in that you and your mum have taken a very brave step, and one which will hopefully help both your mum and your dad in the long run.

Vonny xx

NewKid

Mar 26, 2009
Warwickshire
Hello, also want to send some support your way and hope it is not too traumatic for you all. My Mum was sectioned earlier this year, it was a great relief really and it sounds like there is a real need in your case. I was able to persuade her to come with me in the car to a 'hospital appointment' rather than call in the big guns to enforce her admission, could you try that? The nursing team were expecting her and were extremely kind and reassuring. It's terrible and understandable that you are 'worried sick' and hope TP continues to help a little.

SHic

Sep 1, 2009
Bucks
Further info

Hi - yes, we are doing the same thing. Our fab Admiral Nurse is coming in the morning to take my parents to what my Dad thinks is a hospital appointment. Once he enters the ward, he will be unable to leave... I know he is going to be very agitated and distressed so it is reassuring that you say the staff at the hospital were understanding. I have horrible visions of him being restrained!! Unfortunately, I cannot be there (I'm not sure I would be allowed to be anyway) My Mum is going with Kate our Admiral Nurse. I finish work at 17.30 so I will be going straight over to Mum's to support her either for her 1st night at home or at the hospital if visitors are allowed. She feels like she wants to be alone tomorrow night because she wants to get used to it. I feel so sad about all of this. What a terrible disease.

Beezed

Apr 28, 2009
Southampton
Your parents are lucky to have such a caring family. I hope all goes well for you and that you get the help you need.
Regards,
Jeanne

Cl13

Feb 19, 2009
Cumbria uk
Hi Sam, just wanted to say I hope things went ok at the hospital,
I know you will have had another awful day worrying about your mum and dad, its taken a lot of strength from both your mum and you to get help they need,

By4now and take care.

Love Lynn

jackie place

Aug 4, 2009
eccles manchester
Just wanted to say like the rest welcome and hope that you are o we have all been in that situation My Husband Peter has Alzheimers and he is agressive but this is something that i haveknown him have for a number of years but the illnest has been him worse.

So do not worry take one day at a time Love jackie x x x

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Hi Sam, hope all went as well as could be expected today and that you and family aren't too traumatised by the ordeal.

We are all rooting for you

Vonny xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Me too - just wanted to say that I hope things went as well as you might have hoped for. Take care, Izzy x