Advice needed yet again

purchase

Aug 31, 2005
England
Hello everyone

First can I wish you all a Happy New Year.

I haven't posted for a while, I have just been reading all the posts. We had mom home on Christmas Day against all advice. It wasn't too bad even though she has forgotten it now but I am glad that we did it.

What I would appreciate your advice on is do any of your loved ones experience dizzy spells and what mom says is trembling all over her body. I don't know if this is a symptom of dementia or something else. She first mentioned it on Christmas Day and it has continued not all the time but she had two falls on Tuesday luckily not too bad. The GP has checked her over and checked her blood pressure and says that her BP is fine and just to keep any eye on her and make her use a stick for support. That will not go down well as mom, who is seventy nine this year, thinks that sticks are for old people. She is still constantly crying, in fact the crying has got worse. We have decided that we will only visit her together, my sister and myself, as it is getting too hard to cope alone. Nothing will stop her crying but as before she is fine when we are not there. I am finding it very difficult to let go but I am trying to tell myself that the visits are for my benefit and what is the point of going a lot if we are constantly upsetting mom.

I am feeling quite blue at the moment as I think that this year will be harder than last year and at the moment I am not sure if I will cope. I will though because no matter how bad I feel mom is going through so much more.

Sorry I only seem to post here when I am gloomy but thanks for reading and take care all of you.

Love Jacky

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Hello Jacky

I am pleased you had Christmas Day with your Mum. I find this time of year is always depressing and I am a bit low and flat at the moment too, I need some warmth and sunshine I think, roll on summer.

Visiting your Mum with your sister seems a good idea as if all else fails you can share the load and chat between the two of you.

Your Mum saying sticks were for old people made me smile. When I was working at a rest home the owner gave a resident a beautiful nightie for her birthday, the gift was given back as it was "an old grannie's nightie", the resident was celebrating her 101st birthday!

I hope you soon feel better, chin up, thinking of you.

Kathleen

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
My wife had similar dizziness and falls at the start. She also fainted [or as some believe, had minor fits]. She was later diagnosed with Alzheimer's and vascular dementias. I believe the dizzyness and falls were related to the vascular dementia though loss of spatial awareness and confusion generally from dementia may also cause it.

... just my thoughts.

purchase

Aug 31, 2005
England
Thanks to you both for your kind thoughts.

The mention of vascular dementia triggered a memory in me. I asked for a copy of mom's discharge summary from her last hospital visit and it did say that mom had AD and vascular dementia so maybe this is what the dizziness is.
Thanks again

Jacky