Mum keeps buying cards

heartbroken

Feb 17, 2008
derbyshire
Ho this thread has made me smile my dad can offer for your shop
purse's 32 of them, 21 umbrellas, soap galore 168 bars, shampoo bubble bath to much to count, puzzle books with one puzzle tried and given up on plus 5 stone of chocolate which the mice had found and ate most out of date but thrown in the bin, the rest you are welcome to start a shop with.

the bed saw stuffed with letters that Edna had hid as she couldn't understand them, some was her penion slips uncashed we have now sent them to see if we can get her money, also we have found a bank book £100 drawn every week for years but we don't know where that went to, the things you find out when its to late.

miss_b

Jul 17, 2009
East Sussex
Nan has an obsession with 'Kiplings' ie Mr Kipling cakes. There are about 8 boxes of various cakes in the cupboard and she always thinks she needs more kiplings when we go shopping. If I try to disagree with her she says "Well we can get some for Kim anyway." I think she knows full well they are going to go in her cupboard. :D

Michele

Oct 6, 2007
Oh I have found a new one mum collects. Puzzle books. Hundreds of the things. The funny thing is she was round on Sunday doing one and kept looking at the back, I asked her why, and she said that is where the answers are. I said shouldn't you try and guess the answers, her reply was - oh no not at all, that is why they put the answers there :D:D:D

xx

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
Craft magazines- loads quite often in duplicate or triplicate. When we told mum she was going to be a granny in April 2007- she started to buy knitting mags to knit something for Erin when she was born- Erin will be 2 in November and as yet no knitting has materialised:D:D The books keep appearing thick and fast though!

Julie xx

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
What I get from this post is that some people's rellies have a hoarding habit, which is surely very irritating, but not life-threatening, so you just accept it and laugh about it.

I am glad to have read it.

My husband doesn't have AD but does collect and hoard things, and this post has made me realise that it really doesn't matter.

Love to all

Margaret

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Wow!

I didn't realise how common this is either. My Mum ALWAYS saves bagsm carrier bags, crisp bags, sweet bags, paper bags, and folds them very precisely. She says they are useful for wrapping sandwiches, but she never prepares them for anyone except herself now, and those go straight on her plate lol! She also has a host of purses BUT that's because she tells me she can't always remember where she put the last one, so by haivng several all with a bit of money in if she ever wants to go to the shops she can! Very logical that one lol.

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
This has just reminded me of when Mum was living alone and eating loads of fish and chips bought from the shop around the corner. She would always save the paper carrier bags they were carried home in and fold them up neatly, storing them in another bag in the kitchen. Mmmmmm. Yummy, greasy, vinegary smell every time we arrived. I eventually started to sneak them into the bin and changed the bin bag as quickly as I could to get rid of them.
Regards, Gill x

Dixie

Dec 17, 2008
With my mum it was ant powder!!! Tins of the stuff I found when clearing out the house.