Which wheelchair?

Charlie

Apr 1, 2003
Which Wheelchair to chose?

We are about to get a wheelchair for my mum who somehow still manages to care for my dad with Alzheimers. Rather than trawl the internet for wheelchair websites, I thought that I'd ask you kind folks. Anyone had first hand experiences hunting around for wheelchairs or models they'd recommend? It's really just for trips out and hospitol visits - she doesn't need one around the home yet. We don't want a motorised model by the way, just something that we can use to get mum out of the house now and then, oh and with good brakes!

thanks
Charlie......

thompsonsom

Jul 4, 2004
halifax
Hi

Don't know if you are just wishing to buy a wheelchair but British Red Cross loan wheelchairs out for an indefinate period, we borrowed one in february and have still got it now, it is ideal for using when walking round town etc.........When we no longer need it we just return it and make a contribution.

Jan

Doreen

Dec 3, 2004
Oldham
Hi.

I have a wheelchair for my husband, it was provided by the wheelchair department at a local hospital after a visit from the physiotherapist. We just use it to go shopping etc. he shuffles round in the house.

Doreen

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Charlie, my Mum's wheelchair was provided by the wheelchair dept of our local hospital. I requested it from the GP as I was having to tip my son out of his to take Mum to see our GP. Apparently they just write a special script and away you go. Do try this before you buy one. Some of the ones you can buy do not fold well or have fixed footplate holders which make them dangerous when seating the user. Do please take advice before buying one as it could be an expensive mistake. Best wishes, love She. XX

tehya

Jan 1, 2006
Kent
Hi Charlie, we also used a wheelchair from the local Red Cross but it was hard to push. As we are going to need one long-term we bought a nice comfy one from Argos. Also a padded cushion to go on it. We found the bigger wheels made it easier to manage, it folds to go in the car and mum's much more comfortable now.They are expensive though [from £179.99].Some of the hospital or Red-cross ones are fine but it depends on what is available at the time.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hello tehya, yes, agree some of the Red Cros wheelchairs are hard to push.

I purchased one from our local mobility shop (not cheap,) but I was able to try several out. I needed one lightweight enough for me to lift into the car . As I have had two operations on my back I have to be careful. Also needed bit of strength to it as Lionels weight goes up because of his decreased mobility.

Take care of yourself, Connie

jks

Jul 2, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hi There

My Mum needed a wheelchair after her stroke. The Red Cross ones were really uncomfy for her - she is tall (5'11") and he knees were nearly under her chin! They made her knees and hip joints hurt like mad.

We ended up with a 'Wheeltec Breezy Elegance'. Adjustable footrests, seat height good, easy to collapse (Goes in the back of my Micra easily with just the parcel shelf removed). Cost about £200, money well spent.

Good luck in finding something suitable.

joanne

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Wheelchairs with headrest

Best to get an assessment from the local wheelchair service if you think your relative has any special needs, but this can take a time if there is a waiting list. Check out the Disabled Living Foundation for advice www.dlf.org.uk They have advisors who will discuss your query with you and also a showroom with equipment to think about. Plus excellent factsheets. My mum needed a wheelchair with a head rest, but this is not a usual fitting for a standard chair and it is almost impossible to find a supplier who will hire one out. She also has a very tender sacral area so we were looking for a good quality cushion too.

We were advised to get a chair that 'tilts in space' and reclines, because these will allow a range of positions for the user and be more comfortable. We could not wait for the wheelchair clinic because there was a three month waiting list, so we got an Occupational Therapist who was attached to a mobility firm to come out and do an assessment. Of course we were a bit worried that she would not be independent, but she was very helpful and we bought a chair recommended by her in the end, ( To be honest, we got the specification and then found a cheaper supplier, which was a bit of a crafty move, but the chair was extremely expensive and we wanted to get a good deal.) Don't regret spending the money. If you can add to your relative's quality of life, it is money well spent.

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Another resource

I was told about a great website recently. It is run by disabled people, for disabled people

http://www.disabledgo.info/Default.asp

"DisabledGo provides free detailed access information for disabled people across the UK. Our detailed access information will empower you to judge for yourself which hotels, cinemas, restaurants, solicitors' offices, pubs, train stations - all kinds of shops and services - are accessible to your particular needs."

Lots of wheelchair friendly places that have been visited by the people who know what to look out for.

Kind Regards
Craig