Care home assessment for mum.

amberence

Mar 15, 2008
Barton upon Humber
Have been caring for mum for two years who suffers from dementia, sadly now is gradually getting worse and progressing. As am going into hospital next month asked Social Services initially for an assessment for respite care for mum but now decided, best for mum and myself (due to ill health and length of time caring for mum on my own without any break) probably time for mum permanently to go into a care home, the same my step-father at who also suffers from Alzheimer's.

Wondering therefore where do I stand regarding the house mum and I live in. The house is my step-father and mum's name which becomes mine in the eventuality somenthing happening to both. I am 59 years of age - sixty in November, therefore only two months to go my sixtieth birthday. So where do I stand legally to keeping the house - so mum won't have to pay fully for her care if permanently goes into a care home in any Social Services assessemnt. I am single and lived with my parents in the same property for 36 years now.

Keith.

Last edited:

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Keith, I think you can rest assured that your home will remain your home.

If there is a relative living in the family home aged 60 or over, then the house is completely disregarded in the assessment. You've lived there for 36 years, and you're almost 60, so it would be a fairly tough decision for any assessment to decide that it should not remain your home.

The CRAG (Charging for Residential Accommodation Guide) says clearly

Where the resident no longer occupies a dwelling as his home, its value should still be disregarded where it is occupied in whole or in part by
• the resident's partner, former partner or civil partner (except where the resident is estranged or divorced from the partner, former partner or civil partner)
• a lone parent who is the claimant’s estranged or divorced partner
• a relative (as defined at 7.004) of the resident or member of his family (as defined at 7.004A) who
- is aged 60 or over, or
- is aged under 16 and is a child whom the resident is liable to maintain, or
- is incapacitated.

If I'm wrong, then I'm sure someone will come along soon and explain further.

But I think you're safe.

And I hope your Mum and Step-father will be able to enjoy being together again.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
You may want to consider still asking for a "temporary" placement. In most temporary situations the LA won't even do a financial assessment for the first 8 weeks. There will be an expected payment (normally considerably less than the "normal" rate).

The relevant bits of CRAG (charging for residential accomodation) are as follows

3.001A An admission is temporary either if the agreed intention is for it to last for a limited time period,
such as respite or intermediate care, or there is uncertainty that permanent admission is
required. For a fuller explanation of how to deal with residents receiving intermediate care see
3.015 below.

3.004 It must be recognised that a stay, which was initially expected to be permanent, may turn out to
be temporary (e.g. the resident's condition improves dramatically when it was not expected to
do so). In such cases, it would be unreasonable to continue to apply to that resident any rules
which would have affected him as a permanent resident (e.g. treatment of the former dwelling,
in particular the placing of a charge on the resident's interest in the property).

3.004A It must also be recognised that a stay, which was initially expected to be temporary, may turn
out to be permanent. In such cases, it would be unreasonable to assess the resident's charge
as if he was a permanent resident from the outset (e.g take into account AA/DLA) as these
resources may no longer be available to the resident. Assessment as a permanent resident
should, therefore, begin from the date it is agreed that the stay is to become permanent.

Charging for temporary stay

Up to 8 weeks

3.005 An assessment of ability to pay is not required for the first eight weeks of a temporary stay. It
will be for the local authority to decide in each case whether to make an assessment. Where the
local authority decides it is appropriate to make an assessment, follow the guidance in Sections
4 to 13. Where no assessment is made, the charge is the amount it appears reasonable to the
LA for the resident to pay. Section 22(5A)

After all, you don't know that it's permanent and this way you'll be 60 when they do the assessment and there won't be any question about your entitlement. I also doubt they would be difficult, but you never know.

amberence

Mar 15, 2008
Barton upon Humber
Hi JP. Thank you for the reply. Just think right for mum and my step-father to be reunited, for them to be together during their latter years - albeit be in a care home. Mum needs to be in a social environment as her whole demeanour as changed with her dementia progressing getting worse which explained to the Social Services Care Manager during the week. Regarding the house concerned in any social services financial assessment where I stand living in and keeping the property. IMO any financial contibution mum has to make to her care home fees shouldn't come from any sale of the house. Think would be extremely harsh if was so, came to that at the expense of me also losing my home too.

Regards,

Keith.

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Hi Keith,

I think Jennifer's idea is a good one simply because it takes you to age 60 and ensures you continue to have a roof over your head. The fact that making someone homeless after 36 years is morally unacceptable doesn't mean it can't happen. Maybe I'm just becoming more cynical in my middle age but I for one wouldn't want to take that risk.

Vonny xx

amberence

Mar 15, 2008
Barton upon Humber
Mum assessed by the Care Manager from Social Services on Monday and pleased to say no concern over losing the house due to mum going into a care home. Initially going in on Respite Care, maybe for two-three months then transferred to permanent care which seems like the standard procedure. This covers and takes me over my sixtieth birthday. Mum to be reunited at the care home with Bill her husband, my stepfather who has dementia (severe now but recognises mum still) Mum's dementia the same stage when Bill admitted into ther care hom, July 2007. Fitting that they will be together during their latter years. I go into hospital next month so have peace of mind mum now going into a care home with Bill.

Keith.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Well done, Keith, you've achieved a good outcome.

Yes, standard procedure is for someone to move into a care home on a 'trial basis' before it becomes a permanent feature of life.

Great that your Mum and Bill will be together again.

Good wishes to you too.