Cross

suzanne

Jul 25, 2006
wiltshire
:mad:I have been told this morning by one of mum's carers that the time has been changed to an earlier time of 08.00 from 08.45 which had been changed from 09.30 and the evening slot from 1930 to 18.30[this last time without any consultation with us the PAYING clients]:mad::mad::mad::mad: The 09.30 slot was perfect and suited us both down to the ground, I had time to get up, washed and dressed and mum breakfasted before they arrived to get her washed and dressed, we just about scramble to be ready for 08.45 and there have been days when mum has been still asleep when thay have arrived and the processes have to be reversed,ie getting her washed and dressed before her breakfast which goes down like a lead balloon. At what point do I get mad with them and change companies as the girls themselves are very nice and mum is happy with them and she has actually begun to remember them. From my point I have to come to a decision as how to tackle the "bullies" in the office who do the rota's they are writing them without thought to the client's needs, do I mention that the girls are arriving late and leave early on a regular basis, which I accept because they have done all that is required for mum and they do not have travel time allocated. I would appreciate some some help with how to phrase my displeasure and mum's huge dislike of being undressed for bed at 6.30 in the evening!

I kow this sounds petty and not of much import but this is disruptive to mum's routine and has a profound effect on her sundowning episodes, her anxiety levels are shooting through the roof of late and any further changes....:(:(:( and even more petty is that I have to get up even earlier.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hi Suzanne

Write to the manager of the agency. I would suggest saying, politely, that if it really is impossible for them to schedule in Mum's care for (state time range/s which suit you) then regretfully you will have to take your business to another agency.

It can be difficult for the home-carers themselves to feed back your needs to the agency management, as there may be 'office politics' they have to tip-toe around.
It will do no harm for you to express your appreciation of the actual hands-on help you have been getting from the girls (if appropriate) and that you would prefer to stay with your existing agency if they can accommodate your requirements, reliably.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Hi Suzanne,

I would definitely use Lynne's suggested strategy. It's no use expecting the carers to be the messengers and if the manager can't schedule you in for the times you need, then you must look elsewhere.

We thought we were happy with the care provided by the first care agency for mum but when NHS CC was awarded, SS suggested another. We tried to contact the first agency to see if they could accommodate the extra hours but there was no reply on a Friday afternoon, so we went with the suggested one. It was actually better, the hours were more suitable and the carers more professional. I mention this simply because it shows that there are usually acceptable alternatives.

You really shouldn't have the hours being changed arbitrarily like this. Your mum's routine is very important to her wellbeing as any self-respecting agency should know.

Good luck

Vonny xx

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
hello this seems par for the course, morming calls varied from between 8.45 and 11,30 i asked for a regular slot and was as accomodating as poss because the girls where good with trev, but the office planner obviousley did not plan this for users convience, i eventually rang head office and explained and there has been an improvment, but think they are a little wary of my firm but polite attitude, but needs must, try it .pam

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I would agree with everyone - firm and polite is definitely the way to go. Can I also say: you are not being at all petty. Routine is absolutely vital with dementia and since you are doing the lions share of the caring, then it is also vital that you can have a period of time that you can count on to prepare yourself for the rigors of the day. If anyone even slightly implies that you are being petty, I would definitely take my business elsewhere. Oh, and don't let them "guilt" you into accepting a time slot you don't want because "everyone wants that other time slot" - that's not your problem, that's the care agencies problem.

suzanne

Jul 25, 2006
wiltshire
Update

Well the owner of the agency rang at lunchtime to inform me of the change of times as it would be more convenient [and he used that word:eek:]and I pointed out that I was not there for his convenience, the point of paying for carers was to help my mum not stress her out and get her up at the crack of midnight for his paycheck, the fact that he will have to pay his girls more mileage is his look out not mine [and the fact that he has just moved to the most expensive plot of land in the south tells me he is doing just fine ]Any way he then tried to guilt me out with the threat of having to go to another agency which would upset my mum....he forgot that with short term memory loss it's not that big a deal!...so I have conceded that there will be an early call tomorrow being as it is Sunday and from then he has to arrange things back to the original time slot. BIG grumble here I really really hate it when people think they can ride rough shod over vulnerable people and think there will be no come back on them, he even asked to speak to my mother knowing full well that I am there all the time:mad::mad::mad::mad:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Good for you and how dare he try to involve your mother - if she didn't have dementia he wouldn't be getting any business.

Do seriously consider moving agencies - this one can't treat his clients properly so goodness knows how he treats his staff.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Well done, Suzanne!

That's what I call progress.

If you are satisfied with the care-workers visiting your Mum, from this agency, then I'd be tempted to stick with them. For now. Because it seems that you have gained control, and you are now in the driving-seat. And if your Mum is beginning to recognise them, and is happy with them ... then .. that's half the battle.

Why not now ask for continuity of care-worker, and reliable arrival/departure times? Let Manager know (gently! so as not to ruffle his feathers!!) that you mean business. Why else should he care about you and your Mum?

If you are really unhappy with them, then go elsewhere to another agency. But that agency may be ... worse than the one you have now.

So, it seems to me that you have achieved ... don't throw that away, unless you really have to.

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
And a big well done from me too, Suzanne. It really makes my blood boil when "professionals" ride rough-shod over their clients, and to drag your mum into it was completely out of order.

Stick to your guns and remember you can change agencies whenever you like. You call the shots and make darned sure you get first class service. You can do it with a smile...no need to be unpleasant, just remember you are keeping that company going.

Vonny xx

suzanne

Jul 25, 2006
wiltshire
001.jpgthe truth is the girls are great and they all love mum, [she is a born actress for them and entertains them royally when they are here] and we would both miss them so shall see how we go from here perhaps he has realised that he has to communicate, if he had rung me before hand we might have accomodated this change but he didn't so his hard cheese! She greeted the girlie tonight dressed in her petticoat and a cardigan but the cardigan sleeves were on her legs and the body of the cardi round her bum001.jpgsorry if the photo's too big but I've forgotten how to reduce it. Suzy

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mshaw6