advice needed

Delphine

Feb 7, 2009
Middlesbrough
Hello everyone. My dad has vascular dementia and four weeks ago became unwell with a urine infection and infected big toe nails. He was wiped out for several days and was unable to get downstairs. He has since physically rallied but has been unable to get downstairs since this episode, his brain just doesnt seem to get the message to his feet to move, he is frightened to go down the three stairs that lead to the stair lift. Despite the efforts of family, carers, physios and occupational therapists he is still upstairs. Would it be unreasonable for the GP to organise some kind of ambulance staff help? We are all set for him to stay downstairs once he is there ie bed and washing facilities. Any ideas anyone? Many thanks xxxxx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think it's entirely reasonable to expect to get help to relocate your father downstairs. Make it clear that this will be a one off and is the result of an elderly person being "trapped" on the upper floor of the house. Not to worry you but what if there was a fire? You wouldn't be able to get him out.

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Our GP actively ordered us to get our mum downstairs! Fortunately we were able to do it without the help of paramedics, but in your situation I would certainly ask for assistance. I don't see how you could be refused.

ishard

Jul 10, 2007
Personally I would ask the Fire Service to help. :D
They are very experienced in getting people downstairs and round our way they do this service as a matter of public relations to help.

Remember to write in the paper a Thank you afterwards as its good public relations for them.

Delphine

Feb 7, 2009
Middlesbrough
Finally got dad downstairs with the help of friends as GP came up against a brick wall re ambulance crew help. Something just seemed to click in dads head and suddenly he allowed himself to be cajoled and lifted down without resistance, so now his day to day life is more sociable and normal and mum is not running up and down stairs every 5 mins. Phew xxx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Delphine

so now his day to day life is more sociable and normal

It is good to hear that you are all benefitting from dad now being downstairs. It is such a shame that you couldn't get the services to help with this but at least your dad is now having a more sociable time and long may he (and you all) enjoy it:)

Love and best wishes

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I hope I get the love and care when I need it that your dad has from you all. How wonderful that you have all worked so hard to make your dad's life more comfortable for him. How sad that none of the services would come out to help. What is this world coming to?

xxTinaT

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
If you have the energy (and I understand why you might not) I would be inclined to complain further about this treatment for other people's future benefit. I find it ridiculous (and distinctly worrying) that they wouldn't assist you to do this.

I'm glad for both your parents that you managed to resolve this though.

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Great news Delphine :) It will make such a difference to you all no longer having to split time between upstairs and downstairs. Well done to all, including your dad for letting himself be moved without any fuss.

Vonny xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
What is the world coming to. :(
It would have been so easy to have helped your father downstairs Delphine. I understand they are short staffed and overworked but a little help would have made such a difference.
But well done or getting others in to rally your father down. I hope it will make life much easier for you all.

Cl13

Feb 19, 2009
Cumbria uk
Hi Delphine, very pleased for both your mum and dad that he is now settled downstairs, it was difficult for mum but it must have been depressing for dad stuck upstairs afraid to come down.
Well done, sorry I missed your post earlier.

Take care.

Love Lynn x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanpotts