Holiday ideas for carers

lizb

Oct 7, 2008
Hi, Hope you're all doing ok. I've just returned from what i think is our last family holdiday; mum has dementia (both Mum & dad are 76) and the travelling and upheaval was just too confusing for her. Me and my husband have been going away with my mum and dad for the last few years to help him as he struggles with her everyday care and gets a break. I'm 200 miles away so i help as much i can and am constantly on the other end of the phone.
Anyhow, he's sad at the thought of not being able to enjoy the sunshine somewhere on the med again - he loves to swim, read, relax in the sun - so I was wondering if any of you knew any groups that organise holidays home or abroad which he could go along on? I would stay with my mum for a week to ensure she is ok and cared for as i'm about the only other person in the world she trusts.
Dad is very sociable and gets on with everyone, enjoys a laugh and a beer, and loves to walk, so he'd enjoy a holiday with other people, rather than on his own.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Liz x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
There is a good holiday company , Saga, that has special singles holidays for people over 50. Your father might be interested.
There may be other companies who do these holidays too.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Just You and Solo's are two others.

Solo's divide their holidays into age groups, Just You I think are mixed ages.

Might be worth checking on their websites.

Some other companies also run occasional singles holidays, I think Titan may do, but I'm not sure.

bclark

Feb 15, 2008
greenhithe kent
hi lizb i have just come back from a saga holiday this was my first holiday without my husband as he is in a care home went with a freind would recommend it made freinds with other couples and single people, the reps look after you. bclark:)