New to this site

Weatherwax

Jul 14, 2009
South Yorkshire
Hello my name is Kate and I'm a carer for my mother who is recently diagnosed with alzheimers and also for my paternal grandmother who has dementia. I lost my father to cancer in May this year, it was he who did as much of the day-to-day care until March when his disease got the better of him and I took over. Grief has made my mother's condition deteriorate to some extent and I fear for the future. In some ways I feel orphaned although I am in my late 30's, a very strange sensation indeed.

I came on here because I feel the need of support and the need to support others. I think that reading other people's posts will put my own situation into perspective, it really is early days for us and tougher times are still ahead.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Kate:)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Kate

Welcome to Talking Point [TP] :)

You certainly have had a tough time and no doubt are still having one. I do hope you find the support you need here on TP.
Most of us have.

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Hi Kate and welcome to Talking Point.

Like you, I have a mum with dementia and my dad is fortunately still alive and caring for her with help from my sister and myself. Both sister and I frequently feel orphaned also...despite us being 56 and 50. Although dad is still with us, he has changed so much in the last year and turns to us for help so often, that it is like losing dad we know as well as the mum who brought us up and was so strong and capable.

I'm so sorry that you lost your dad this year. The fact you have 2 people to care for must make life extremely difficult for you. You are right in that, tough though your have had it, there are tougher times ahead. I take each day at a time because that is the only way I can cope. Not to look back (too nostalgic) and not to look ahead (too depressing).

I hope you find this forum as supportive as I have. I'm sure we'll "speak" again soon :)

Vonny xx

shelley

Mar 29, 2009
welcome

hi kate my mum as demencia and i am also in my thirtys welcome to talking point ,i would be lost without this site,i hope u find the advice u need and if you ever need a chat or a moan or just a shoulder i am here i cant even imagion how u would cope with 2 members of ur family with this dreadful condition.take care shelley

penguin629

Nov 9, 2008
Shropshire
Hi Kate
Welcome to TP. My Dad has AD too and I'm in my thirties. I know you will find lots of advice and comforting words on this site. A listening ear is never very far away.

Take care, Joanne :)

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Kate

A warm welcome from me too:) I will look forward to seeing you around the site and I trust you will find the support, information and friendship that you might require in your caring role.

Love and best wishes

Scottie45

Jan 25, 2009
CoAntrim
Hi Kate

Just wanted to welcome you to TP,i to hope you find the site useful,i am sure you will as its a very good site with alot of good people who all help each other.So sorry that you are having to look after two people as well as greiving for your dad.You take care Marian x

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hi Kate, I am sorry you are having such a hard time with two relatives to care for and still grieving for your dad. You will find lots of supporters on here, just ask and we will be with you all the way.

Love

Margaret

skully70

Jul 13, 2009
Bristol
Hi Kate

Hi Kate

Warm welcome to you. I'm new here too, I have a mum with AD too and I'm in my late thirties. I've found this site to be so helpful and comforting already. I'm sure it will help you too.
I'm sorry to hear of your situation and wish you all the best.
Sue x

VickyH

Jun 25, 2009
Leeds
Hi Kate

You sound like you have a lot to deal with. I hope you find the support you need from this site.

Thinking of you

Vicky x

ella

Jul 13, 2008
Halifax
Hi Kate

I'm sure you will find the support and advice very helpful from everyone on this site - I know I have! My mother has AD she was diagnosed last July and has deteriorated quite a bit recently, I received some sound advice from people in this situation and lots of support :)
Welcome & take care

Ella

Weatherwax

Jul 14, 2009
South Yorkshire
Thanks for the welcome

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my post yeasterday. It's been one of those emotional days when it all seems a bit much but coming on here and seeing the posts made me feel better.I only hope I'm in a position to do the same for someone else in the future.

Thanks again
Kate:)