no sleep

shanny

Jul 5, 2009
bradford
Im new to TP- my dad has some degree of dementia and has not slept for the last 4 days- My mum ( 86) is exhausted. She pays for night sitters 2 x week and we stay over when able. Dad seems to drift off only to wake just as he is falling off to sleep every 30 mins. He shouts out and wants to get up-,The GP prescribed him zopiclone 2 nights ago- but Mum said he was worse- agitated/it seemed to sedate his body but noy his mind. Have read some of comments on TP. Must get Mum a laptop - it would help her s much to read all your comments.Any ideas on getting Dad off to sleep? :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`d be back to the GP Shanny, your mother can`t continue having her sleep disturbed like this. I doubt the GP realizes just what it is to live with this.

foxhound

Jun 26, 2008
Totally agree about getting the GP back on the case (and fast) - might be that the Zopiclone needs to be increased or something else added. Also, a sweet cup of mint or camomile tea sometimes works well for my mother.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Shanny...

I can only agree with the others....get straight back to the GP and request either a change or increase of medication.

Barb has asked if dad sleeps through the day.....it's a valid point....although you say he has not slept for the 4 days...:eek:

That must be so exhausting for your poor mum....and your poor dad...he sounds like a tormented soul.

Please get back to the GP first thing tomorrow morning.

And let us know how you get on!

Love xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Shanny

Welcome to Talking Point from me:) I hope that you (and perhaps your mum) find it helpful, supportive, informative and friendly.
It's a lifeline to me I must admit.

Your GP might be very happy to refer your dad to a Psychogeriatrician who may be more informed with regard to the various medications.

Sending love and best wishes

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Hot Chocolate

Hello and welcome to TP, as daft as it sounds have you tried giving dad a mug of hot chocolate just before he goes to bed? i myself am a AZ sufferer and suffer awful nightmares but i found that a Hot Choccy before bedtime helps enormously. hope this helps, best wishes, Norrms and family xx

shanny

Jul 5, 2009
bradford
thanks so much for all your ideas and comments- ive relayed them back to Mum - she passes on her thanks,hopefully shell be able to get on line soon- I know she would find it really helpful and supportive :)

Cl13

Feb 19, 2009
Cumbria uk
hi Sanny,sorry I missed your post last night hot choc with good measure of brandy added works for me,
I agree with every-one else, you or your mum must get back on to the Dr today, if you cant get to see him/her book and appointment to speak on the phone and stress how bad things are, your mum cant go on like this.
Let us know how you get on.

Take care.

Love Lynn xx

shanny

Jul 5, 2009
bradford
thanks everyone- good news is that Dad has been admitted to hospital for tests- to see what is causing headaches/sleeplessness- and Mum is relieved that something is being done. She is also adjusting to the fact that some regular respite may be best. She tried the hot chocolate last night - havent heard how that helped- will try brandy also !!
Thanks again. xx

Cl13

Feb 19, 2009
Cumbria uk
Hi Shanny, good to here dads having some tests, I hope the can get to the bottom of it for your mums sake,
Please dont let your mum change her mind about respite, speak to a SW while dads in hospital they will probably do the assessment there, they will talk to your dad, and your mum can talk to them on her own, best to get the ball rolling now because once your dad is home again it will be easy for your mum to say " oh he's much better now love, we'll manage " I know this first hand Shanny, I said it myself.

Take care

Love Lynn

gerrie ley

Apr 10, 2006
bradford yorkshire
Kalms

Hi as I have told many carers my wife was on KALMS every night for two years and they worked I gave her two when she went to bed These are herbal and can be bought from any chemist but please contact your doctor before hand I bought the daytime ones

best of luck I know what its like