Sympathy needed

pansypotter

Dec 1, 2005
Scotland
Symapthy neede

Hi BeckyJan
Thanks for your ideas. I will check things out. Until now I have simply tried to get along with the help of friends - and the idea that I have always been able to cope with whatever life threw at me, so I would just have to get on with it. I was just worried that my reactions were way out of line with the size of the "offence" my poor husband was committing - and when I saw your post it was such a relief to know other people find relatively small things extremely irritating as well. Thank you for giving me the courage to join this site - so at least I can get some of this out of my system.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
pansypotter said:
Hi BeckyJan
Thanks for your ideas. I will check things out. Until now I have simply tried to get along with the help of friends - and the idea that I have always been able to cope with whatever life threw at me, so I would just have to get on with it. I was just worried that my reactions were way out of line with the size of the "offence" my poor husband was committing - and when I saw your post it was such a relief to know other people find relatively small things extremely irritating as well. Thank you for giving me the courage to join this site - so at least I can get some of this out of my system.
Hi PansyPotter
I am just taking the computer down to type up Christmas Card lists etc. Pleased you are geting some comfort from this site. I feel I just think aloud here whilst in normal life I tend to counsel myself first!
I think you said your husband was diagnosed AD last ?August. How long had he had the symptoms before it was confirmed. I think David was on the downhill path some four years earlier - and then I had to lose it with our GP (who is a friend) because the recommended consultant was so slow in assessing him.
I think I have a 'thing' about how long it is all going to last. I know David does not want to go right down the line and I have a horror of it for him and for me. Do you feel the same?
From your note I think our reactions were the same - as I believe they must be for most people.
Keep chin up - someone says on this site - day by day. BeckyJan ;)

Rosalind

Jul 2, 2005
Wiltshire
Oh Pansypotter, yours and mine sound identical. when I got Carers Allowance, backdated, I spent it all on new tv and dvd recorder (we seem to spend a lot of time watching tv these days). Waded my way through all the instructions, which took ages, got it all up and running, felt very smug. Then Husband took it upon himself to turn both off at the wall - goodness knows why, as he did not ever do this with previous set - which undid everything, and it took me forever to see why it would not record on Video plus, etc. (turned out the machine thought it was the year 2000)

So, what should have been a nice new thing to enjoy caused endless hassle. He could not operate the remote for weeks, because the on off switch was round and blue, instead of oblong and red on the last one, and still can't fathom why it sometimes can't be turned off because it is in dvd mode.

If it all gets too much and you need a selfish rant, send me a private message...

Rosalind

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Rosalind

Rosalind said:
Oh Pansypotter, yours and mine sound identical. when I got Carers Allowance, backdated, I spent it all on new tv and dvd recorder (we seem to spend a lot of time watching tv these days). Waded my way through all the instructions, which took ages, got it all up and running, felt very smug. Then Husband took it upon himself to turn both off at the wall - goodness knows why, as he did not ever do this with previous set - which undid everything, and it took me forever to see why it would not record on Video plus, etc. (turned out the machine thought it was the year 2000)

So, what should have been a nice new thing to enjoy caused endless hassle. He could not operate the remote for weeks, because the on off switch was round and blue, instead of oblong and red on the last one, and still can't fathom why it sometimes can't be turned off because it is in dvd mode.

If it all gets too much and you need a selfish rant, send me a private message...

Rosalind

Hi Rosalind:

My husband sometimes tries using the mobile phone as the television remote and vice versa - he never has managed the videa. DVD is a difficult phrase for him - I never mention it - he always says 'what is a DVD' - we have demonstrated many many times - even got him one on steam engines which enjoyed briefly but still does not know what a DVD is! Hard to accept when he has been brilliant

Keep praying for strength and tolerance BeckyJan

pansypotter

Dec 1, 2005
Scotland
Dear BeckyJan & Rosalind

BeckyJan & Rosalind
Thank you both so much for replying. My husband was diagnosed two & a half years ago - but I had been very worried about many things that he was doing before that. At first it was easier having a diagnosis - I was able to blame him less for all the things he wasn't coping with. Now though he is obviously coping with even less - and it seems to be what he tries to do and can't that really gets to me! Never satisfied! Oh and those TV, video, digi box, DVD controls - he hasn't a clue! But bless him he will just sit and watch whatever is on at whatever volume happens to come up when he manages to turn the set on!
Hope you get those cards done - did mine yesterday - another hard task keeping him occupied and "helping" - in the end he sealed the envelopes and stuck the stamps on, whilst I wrote the cards! I always find a glass of sherry helps with any Christmas chores!

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Sherry!!

pansypotter said:
BeckyJan & Rosalind
Thank you both so much for replying. My husband was diagnosed two & a half years ago - but I had been very worried about many things that he was doing before that. At first it was easier having a diagnosis - I was able to blame him less for all the things he wasn't coping with. Now though he is obviously coping with even less - and it seems to be what he tries to do and can't that really gets to me! Never satisfied! Oh and those TV, video, digi box, DVD controls - he hasn't a clue! But bless him he will just sit and watch whatever is on at whatever volume happens to come up when he manages to turn the set on!
Hope you get those cards done - did mine yesterday - another hard task keeping him occupied and "helping" - in the end he sealed the envelopes and stuck the stamps on, whilst I wrote the cards! I always find a glass of sherry helps with any Christmas chores!

Hi - next time you have a drink think of me! I now drink 1/2 sherries whilst cooking around 5.00 pm (strongly resisting drinking earlier although frequently tempted). Never needed it before. Does Christmas last forever on the sherry drinking score? Love BeckyJan

JANICE

Jun 28, 2005
SOUTHAMPTON
Sherry

I have to say ladies that I find I can tolerate things much better if I have a couple of glasses of wine! I know it's not the answer but I say whatever gets you through.

Janice

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Made me smile this morning

He Janice : your message made me smile! We have had a bad start this morning and D has shown serious signs of not being able to dress himself and is very 'wobbly' - his term when he is not so good. Anyway he has gone off to sleep again now in front of a blazing fire!

We found a 'bat' snugged up in the electric light fitting above our bed last night!!!! Just what I needed to end the day with. Anyway we disturbed it and managed to get it out of the window. God knows where it came from. Is it a bad sign or something?
Anyway must get on with chores - thanks for message BeckyJan ;)

Rosalind

Jul 2, 2005
Wiltshire
Drinks party

Hey - if people can attend weddings in spirit, we need to fix a time and have a Christmas drink, and if all logged on at the time we eeee colud git sme intrstg spllings...

pansypotter

Dec 1, 2005
Scotland
Drinks party

Oh my goodness
Didn't know I was the only one who really enjoyed that little glass of sherry / wine / G & T - or whatever is the flavour of the day - But "Just the one Mrs Slocombe". No, let's be honest - probabaly two! - Yes Rosalind - just fix the date and time - a bit like Richard and Judy's Wine Club!
You have all made me feel so much stronger!

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Rosalind, all my late evening postings have funny spellings, what are you suggesting.
Pansy, I think we should all have a practise with a toast for Nat's wedding on the 17th and can then go on to organise our own 'drink up' for the New Year.
Mine's avery large G & T, cheers Connie

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
My Great Grandma told me about it, along with her stories of the man who lit the gas lamps in the street first thing at night.. :D

Seriously though, I don't think there is anything that sets off the perfect meal - Prawn Cocktail, Chicken in a Basket, Black Forest Gateau - so well! ;)

Rosalind

Jul 2, 2005
Wiltshire
clink

Connie, it's when you start spelling funny first thing in the morning we will get worried.

17th it is, then, but don't think we should pool resources, as a cocktail of G & T, brandy, sherry and babycham could induce a breakdown. I'm partial to whisky at this time of year, and a nice big glass of red wine.

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
or a nice vin chaud - mulled wine is very popular here = here =me! or just a bottle of nice tasting red wine -
Love the whiskey but since the gall bladder op it now hurts - but its nice! the whiskey....
Have slightly regretted my posts ofter 22.00.........

cheers

MIchael

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
Yep! I used to like babycham and I remember the adverts "I'd love a babycham". I tend to steer clear of the alcohol nowadays, it either makes me depressed or too dizzy - a glass of water and a wine gum and I'm well away! Still, I was hoping to try one of Bruce's Milky White Thighs - perhaps I should rephrase that. :eek: ;)

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Milky white thighs!!!!!

Hazel, will look at you in a different light now, although on a mineral water and wine gums don't think you will get up to too much harm.
Brandy - well I prefer mine with either soda (boring) or Benedictine (now your talking)
I do have very strong alcoholic tendinces. hic. Goodnight, Connie :D

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Still, I was hoping to try one of Bruce's Milky White Thighs - perhaps I should rephrase that.
...best do that. Have to watch out for my Dicky Ticker.
[I'm assuming everyone has seen 'Allo 'Allo]