can anyone help me?

purtycat

Feb 13, 2009
surrey
hello im having my second memory test wedensday do you think if i ask the doctor if i can have a brain scan? or do you think it might be rude to ask? purtycat

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear purtycat

The doctor is there for your benefit and you should feel free to ask him/her anything you want.
I find it helpful to write down what I want to ask to make sure I don`t forget anything.

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
Hi Purtycat

I have a problem with my memory in that I can forget a detail absolutely immediately, as though it has never been said.

I am now quite organised in that I type out all the questions that worry me leaving a space for the answer to be written.

I then read the question to the doctor and ask for time to write down the answer.

I also now use the thickest paper I can get in my printer (160 gram) as I find stiff paper is easier to handle when I am nervous (and my hand shakes).

I have always found that the doctor will answer questions and is happy that I have them written down, as it means I do not waffle.

Do ask whatever you want.

Best of luck with the test

Clive

PS. I make sure I write the Doctor’s name on top of the page as soon as I know it so I can refer to the Doctor by name.

purtycat

Feb 13, 2009
surrey
thank you for all your help i will take notice of what you have said i will let you know how i get on thankyou purtycatx

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi Purtycat,

I also have Alzheimer’s and agree what everybody else has said and even do exactly the same thing as Clive and write down all my questions to the doctor, what I also do is to keep a detailed Daily Diary of how the illness is affecting me day to day no matter how insignificant it might seem then I give it to my doctor to see how I have been in-between visits.

You also have every right to ask for a scan as personally I feel that to much valuable time is wasted with all the preliminary tests in the UK instead of going directly to the source of the problem, I was more fortunate as the moment I went to my doctors with my memory concerns after just one examination she almost insisted that immediately had a scan even though she wasn’t so sure that I had AD but the scan proved I had Mixed dementia with AD and from that very moment she put me onto Aricept which is helping me immensely.:D

Good luck and don’t let the evaluation test make you anxious:eek:

sellyanes

Account Closed
Dec 8, 2009
london
Hi purtycat,
Here David from USA. There is nothing wrong to ask about your problem. Ask your doctor clearly and without hesitation.
Best of Luck.
Have a nice day

shelagh

Sep 28, 2009
Staffordshire
Yes - ask and then ask again. I did and as a result got a diagnosis and awful though that was it did start off a whole stream of help.
Good luck
Shelagh